Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine

Options
  • 27-02-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’m hoping ye can help me out.

Currently I’m renting accommodation in Dublin with two other girls.

Recently we have run into trouble with the washing machine. We have made the complaint to the landlady and she sent around a “fix it” guy. He said there wasn’t much wrong with it and that he would be back to fix it when he got a part. That was two weeks ago. This guy is also somewhat unreliable. We have sat in on two occasions waiting for him to come around.

The girls and I also noticed that lately a number of our clothes would have a number of holes in them after they came out of the wash. We put this down to other factors until this weekend.

One of the girls put a wash on and not only did the washing machine leak but it also destroyed a number of her work clothes.

What rights do we have?
    Would we be within our rights to withhold some of the rent to pay for the damage done to our clothes?

Thanks for your time,
    A.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be quite honest, I would be extremely surprised if you had any right to withhold money in lieu of damage done to clothes. You were aware that the machine was malfunctioning. In full knowledge of this you went ahead and used the machine. The machine leaked (and also damaged clothes). You might possibly have had a case (with the agreement of the landlord) to use a laundramat until such time as the machine was satisfactorily repaired- this would have to be with the agreement of your landlord though.

Vis-a-vis holes in clothes, this is far more likely to be caused by inappropriate washing powder/bleach/biological agents or by washing at an inappropriate temperature than by a mechanical action on the part of the machine (it is a spinning drum with no sharp edges after all). If you are using some sort of harsh washing powder that is eating holes in clothes- imagine what it does to your skin......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

If the machine is old then I'd use this latest incident to pressurise the landlandy in to buying a new one.
    If its not old then tell her that you will arrange your own guy to sort it out and deduct the cost of this from the rent.

JackieChan wrote:
    If the machine is old then I'd use this latest incident to pressurise the landlandy in to buying a new one.
    If its not new then tell her that you will arrange your own guy to sort it out and deduct the cost of this from the rent.
    You need your landlord's prior agreement to take any action- it is her property after all. In addition, if you are taking any action that will involve a cost- you either agree this in advance or absorb the cost yourself. You cannot arbitrarily withold rent- or you will be in breach of your lease. Two wrongs do not make a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

smccarrick,
    I certainly would not condone unilateral action on this.
    I'm speaking from experience where I had serious trouble with a washing machine in a house that I was renting.
    The landlord kept paying for the machine to be repaired and every few months the machine would go on the blink again. Over the course of 12-18 months he easily paid for the cost of a new machine in bills.....and in the end he still had to buy a new one.

These days a reliable washing machine is a neccessity and if the repair guy the landlady has used is not repairing the machine within a reasonable amount of time then tell her. Suggest to her that you will get somebody that you can rely on to repair it.Its not right that you are getting messed around, taking time off work to get the issue sorted and then he's a no show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Just to clear some things up.
    smccarrick wrote:
    You were aware that the machine was malfunctioning.
    We were told that the machine would be ok to use by the "fix-it" guy.
    Vis-a-vis holes in clothes, this is far more likely to be caused by inappropriate washing powder/bleach/biological agents or by washing at an inappropriate temperature than by a mechanical action on the part of the machine (it is a spinning drum with no sharp edges after all).
    We have been using the same washing powder since we moved into the house. We always use the same setting on the machine to wash the clothes. This would rule out the above.

The holes only started appearing after the "fix it" guy started rummaging about in the machines internals.

The landlady was rang last night and she will send around the guy again. Heres hoping he turns up.

A.

• Advertisement

Well, best of good luck. Discuss the problems with your landlady- perhaps a new machine would be the best course of action? From the landlady's perspective- a new washing machine is tax deductable on a flatline basis over 5 years.

I have no idea what the repair guy could possibly have done that is causing holes to appear in clothing......

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote:
    I have no idea what the repair guy could possibly have done that is causing holes to appear in clothing......
    Clothes catching on leaky door and being pulled / torn?

Advertisement