Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design your own forum bar

Options
  • 27-02-2006 12:06pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

in view of the thread about the ents guys, I was thinkin' we should tell the next ents guy exactly what we want in the forum bar. us boardsies seem good at going to pubs so what does everyone think the ideal forum bar would be? go as imaginative as you want with CAD or Pencil drawings or just describe your ideal forum bar experience!

i'll post mine up when i've a minute at lunch. just thought this might be a good idea :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I read they were going to put down carpets. :confused::confused:

Yea, cos they'll stay clean! Musch better to put down tile/stone that is easier to clean and maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

I heard it's mostly going to be wooden floors, which seems like a much more sensible idea :P I think the carpet is just for a bit of the upstairs.

I heard it's mostly going to be wooden floors, which seems like a much more sensible idea :P I think the carpet is just for a bit of the upstairs.

Oh right. I read in the observer that they were carpetting the food area. Messy messy!

Anyway I'm sure they design is still in a state of change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I hpe they put in lots of pink fluffy couches and convert the guys toilet into a beauty and makeup salon so us girls can be beautified when we go to the jacks.Then I hope they put ina nice booming jukebox with lots of 90's tunes on and a 'saturday night fever' stylee dancefloor for us to boogey on down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I drew a beautiful picture which i'll upload tomorrow... be afraid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I think it should be left the way it is. It's only a few years old, there doesn't seem to be any need to replace the furniture or flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Has anyone on boards worked in the student/forum bar, or is anyone aware of who own's each bar? Do the uni 'let' the bar to someone year by year or what? Because most of the unions in the north own their own bars. Union ownership = cheap boo's. :)

John_C wrote:
    I think it should be left the way it is. It's only a few years old, there doesn't seem to be any need to replace the furniture or flooring.

ah some of the furniture needs replacing. Some of the couches are covered in stains, tears etc. A decent sound system is a must. The open mic sessions were often ruined cos we couldn't hear the performers over people talking at the other side of the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Have you people got no essays or any other work to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Grimes wrote:
    No.:v:

I find the forum bar is ok if it's quiet, but doesn't maximise space well when it's very busy.

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote:
    Who made you mum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Well you're certainly Grandpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Back in my day we didnt waste our monday evenings talking about crap! You young whppersnappers dont know how good you have it with your motor cars , running water and LSD. Do somthing constructive. :D

yea well this thread is much more interesting than arguing about a bunch of missing posters....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

True true, it reminds me of a tommy tiernan joke about 911 and how if you were listening to the news it seemed like the world was ending but then you look outside and everything’s just fine! Still all that animosity does make for some entertaining reading:) . I really like the forum bar as it is, I think all they’d need to do is turn the lights down a notch to give it that cosy pub atmosphere, they could do the same thing in the other one too and maybe a bit more of the nice seating in the ‘eating area’ so in the evenings the whole pub could benefit from the laid back atmosphere it creates, oh and bring back the pool tables! All that would be left is to get rid of all teen grunge/rock and replace it with 80/90s cheese and maybe a bit of jazz:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Hows about this idea?

The Forum (centre for 1st years!) has never been that popular so....move it out of there to the big old building behind Admin and have a Pav/old style pub? Amazing!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i'm thinking we should design the forum bar with the idea that it's going to be different to the student bar as opposed to competing with it. decor-wise it's not bad, the lighting makes it look dreadful.

rather than go more 'cosy pub' I'm thinking let's make a real funky bar/lounge that instantly becomes an intimate live venue or a hot 'small' nightspot where we can rock to any beat under the sun as well as the good old fashioned get down n boogie.

seating i think is ok too. i don't think the 'step' arrangement at the back works too well, but read on and see why it's ok... so far so good.

the altar (bar) itself is grand, both upstairs and downstairs. plenty of elbow-room and a clear view of what's on display. the food place is similarly ok too, again not much to complain about here.

install some of the hottest lighting effects into the back area, it would be well worth the money. ideally set it up so that we can both flood-light a band and can also induce euphoria on the dancefloor. let's be cheesy and get a mirror ball too! also install club/stage-like lighting elsewhere so that the disco beams reach all in the pub.

make it easy to have a DJ/small (acoustic) session. that means buying a good set of Decks as well as a Live Mixer. A good permanent sound system will be much better value for money than continuous trips to sound hire. Currently there's no way to patch in a DJ - there should be plenty of DJ points, at least three throughout the place for variety. Ditto for connecting laptops/iPods and the like - i was at a party there on saturday where we had to hire sound for the DJ and put a Microphone beside the Laptop for the videos! also the ability to split the place into zones (TV one place, CD the other etc) or combine it (for a big groove session) is essential.

hand in hand with the above, let's sort out the jukebox. does the current one work at all? i've never seen it even turned on. a nice touch display one like the student bar would do the trick. (make sure it go thru the sound system, not one of those crappy boombox types!)

finally let's get three big screens and a couple of plasma's. two downstairs, one upstairs, plus plasma's for daytime use. make sure we've got DVD, VCR and Sky all installed (we'd to bring a laptop last saturday!). also put laptop video connectors at all the DJ points so you can VJ!

liven up the outdoor smoking area and the 'pit' for want of a better word. put some Infra-Red or Gas heaters outside and some nice jazzy lighting. We could have the occasional outdoor jazz, funk or DJ. Maybe a big screen for those warm september and post exam days! (Think the Square in dundrum town centre)

If they did all the above, we'd have a killer bar/lounge/venue/niteclub to complement the student bar. We'd also leave Trinners and DCU in the dust on this one alone!

Advertisement