Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need maternity care information

Options
  • 27-02-2006 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello,

I just moved to Dublin about a month ago. I am 20 weeks along. I need some help figuring out the maternity care options. I was referred to Dr Boylan for my care by my Doctor in the US. I went to see him and he's wonderful, but his fee for antenalt care, delicery and postnatal is 4000 euros. Is that within the normal range? How much have you paid for your care?
    In The US, between $2000-3000 is normal but it is usually fully covered by the insurance. My delivery and care for my first child was about $10,000 and I only had to pay about $450. So now that I'm being told that none of that 4000 Euros is going to be covered by the insurance, I'm a little worried.
    Is there a cheaper option?
    Anyone given birth at the Nat'l Maternity Hospital? Did you like it?

Any info is appreciated, I have no idea what to do. Things are so different here when it comes to healthcare. There, you have to select doctors that belong to your insurance network, is that the case here? Do you also need to select your pediatrician before the baby is born?

Thank you,

Carly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

Hi Carly
    welcome to Ireland. Why not go public, you just go to your GP and I think it's called shared care, every second visit is the GP then the clinic. I went private on my first pregnancy and went public 2nd time, and got much better care public. when you go private if you suddenly have a quick delivery, the consultant may not even make the birth but you still pay, publicly you have a team of midwifes with you all the time and if there are problems then a consultant is called in, good luck with whatever you decide, the only down side of going public is you have to wait your turn at the clinic, but bring a good book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CarlyAna

hi Tirl, thanks you for sharing your experience. I was told by someone I may not be able to go public because I'vve only had a PPs for 2 weeks or so. Apparently, you need to have it for at leats 2 years! I don't know whom to talk to to check if that's even true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I think once your living in Ireland regardless of PRSI (social insurance payments) then you are entitled to go through the public health care system.

Best thing to do is to ring Holles st (National maternity hospital) and ask them! They normally see you for 1st visit at approx 13 weeks so if your 20 now then they'll be arranging 1st visit for fairly soon and they arrange scans at approx 24-26 weeks.

I'm having my 3rd baby in Holles st fairly soon and am seeing the community midwives who do have less of a waiting time than the regular consultants and this can be arranged with combined care with your GP (you normally see Doctor 6 times and hospital the same in a regular pregnancy when public) - have found Holles st fine but then again others that want a less 'clinical' birth may have a different opinion! Personally though, have absolutely no complaints and the community midwives are really very nice!

Have a look at www.magicmum.com as they have a pregnancy/birth forum that will be a great help for the Irish maternity system as does www.rollercoaster.ie...

Best of luck with the pregnancy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

regardless of how long you are here you are entitled to care in a public hospital

T

OK, that's good to know. I already had 2 appointments in the States and one here with Dr Peter Boylan. He's just more expensive than I expected. My scan is scheduled for 16/03 at Holles.
    The only thing I am concerned about is that i have to have another C-section. Since it will have to be scheduled in advance, I don't know how that works with the public care.
    Samo, I'll try those links.
    Thanks!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

CarlyAna wrote:
    now that I'm being told that none of that 4000 Euros is going to be covered by the insurance, I'm a little worried.
    Pregnancy is not an illness, therefore not covered by health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Relative recently moved over from the UK and had to have her 3rd scheduled c-section, she went through public system in Holles St and in her case as it was medically neccessary it was scheduled in advance for approx 37 weeks and there was no problem with this.

So they certainly will do elective c-section through the public system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Gurgle wrote:
    Pregnancy is not an illness, therefore not covered by health insurance.

All of Bupa's health insurances cover maternity http://www.bupaireland.ie/products/schemes.htm

And from a quick look at the VHI website http://www.vhi.ie/info/lifestages/index.jsp Maternity is covered by a lot of their insurances as well.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They cover the costs outside the standard public care ie going private or semiprivate.

Thaedydal wrote:
    They cover the costs outside the standard public care ie going private or semiprivate.
    No, they make a contribution to the extra costs of going semi-private or private.

At least under VHI plan B 3 years ago, going semi-private cost us €2k or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Also for VHI definitely (not sure about BUPA) you have to be a member for 52 weeks before claiming maternity benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Gurgle wrote:
    No, they make a contribution to the extra costs of going semi-private or private.

At least under VHI plan B 3 years ago, going semi-private cost us €2k or so.

from VHI Website
    If you are having a baby, First Plan Plus provides:
    Full cover for 3 days private accommodation in a public hospital
    Cover for 3 days accommodation and hospital charges in a private hospital up to a maximum of €1,510
    Up to €1,510 for medical expenses incurred in a Home Birth

All women in the state are entitled to free materity public care, once you have a pps number

dbnavan wrote:
    from VHI Website
    If you are having a baby, First Plan Plus provides:
    Full cover for 3 days private accommodation in a public hospital
    Cover for 3 days accommodation and hospital charges in a private hospital up to a maximum of €1,510
    Up to €1,510 for medical expenses incurred in a Home Birth
    There ya go, they pay for your room but not your consultancy visits.
    Like I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Gurgle wrote:
    There ya go, they pay for your room but not your consultancy visits.
    Like I said.

Just in case you thought otherwise, i was backing you up....Havin a rough time on boards lately everyone seems to out to prove everyone else wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Pretty sure you don't even need a PPS number, although you can generally get one very fast. Public in Ireland is also not the same as Public in the US. Much better service in Ireland public and cheaper.

dbnavan wrote:
    Just in case you thought otherwise, i was backing you up....Havin a rough time on boards lately everyone seems to out to prove everyone else wrong.
    Lol, sorry. :D
    Having the same problem, it gets to the stage that you assume everyone will contradict you no matter what you say.

Gurgle, I'm sorry I didnt mean for this thread to become an argument. I know that pregnancy is not an illness. However, it is covered 100% by your insurance in the US (depending on your insurance). In fact, my doctor's fees in the Us for my first baby were close to $3000 and the insurance covered ALL of it. That's why I was so confused here when I was told they would only pay 377 eur. Out of the $10,000 that my first delivery cost (ncluding doctor's fees) I only had to pay $450, which was a copayment for the hospital room. I never meant to imply pregnancy was an illness. I am also sure they dont consider it an illness in the US.

CarlyAna wrote:
    Out of the $10,000 that my first delivery cost (ncluding doctor's fees) I only had to pay $450
    Sure, I understand.
    The long and short of it is that here, if you choose to go private the total fee is in the region of €4k, of which you will have to pay about half.

But at the same time, the quality of public care here is excellent.

There really is no need to go private unless you have some reason to expect medical problems (which tbh would be as well treated if you were public, you might just get better bedside manner) or you just can't stand to share a room with 7 other women and their babies.

Advertisement