Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a garage pre: NCT service

Options
  • 27-02-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have an Opel Astra '97 going into NCT in March, I need the usual checks done before the test.

Some minor things:
    - Drivers side lock not working properly (locks but won't open - will this fail me?)
    - Wheels need balancing I think
    - usual checks otherwise - light alignment etc.

Anyone care to recommend a garage in Dublin (based in Ringsend)?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

In my experience you're better off to just send the car in to be tested. If the car fails, you get a print off of anything that's wrong. It can save you repacing parts that a mechanic feels are too worn for the test but are actually passable ( not sure if that's a word ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Might do so ... whats the story if you fail - you can't drive the bloody thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Best to bring it for test first, see what fails. If it fails, you need to book a retest within a few weeks, and have it tested within the month. You'll still be able to drive it. If you go to garage first, they may go to town on stuff that nct will never notice. NCT will not normally lock/unlock your car, as long as they can open the door when you bring it in that should be good enough. Wheel balance will not fail you. Tracking might, but again, its best to bring it in and see. NCT might notice other little things as well. Search for other NCT threads to see checklists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Cheers, test first seems to be the way to go. Might be cool to have an NCT checklist / FAQ sticky in here to avoid (my) repetition.

Again thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭JOSSYJACOB

DONT go for any pre-nct check. it is a rip-off ! Just send the car for nct and if failed they will tell what are the problems. Just correct that.

I have lost some money on the Pre-NCT check for my car. The peugeot car dealer actually charged 150 Euro for the chech. the test failed on front light allignment. When i went back to the dealer near heuston station they told me that, it was not there fault and they dont have the sort of equipment used for the actual test.

Dont waste money on Pre-NCT !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Have to agree with the concensus here on pre-NCT "inspections". Unless something is obviously out i.e. you can see worn tyres, or a badly aligned light, or your seat belts are damaged, or a buld is gone etc., there's no point in paying someone to tell you it's fine, or worse, telling you to replace stuff that doesn't need replacing.

Anyway, how many garages have the equipment to accurately check the shock absorbers for example? My '01 failed on the rear shocks, didn't feel bad or anything. Got them changed and retested for half the original test price and it passed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Theres a place at the red cow roundabout called Coby's autos, they charge 65 euro for a pre nct but then you can go pay 50 euro for your nct and the chances are you can still fail it and have to pay more money then. Just send it through the nct like the others said and get the full list of what they want done. it will save you money and time.

Some checks you can do yourself before going in,.......
    ----Check Your Oil levels....... Even do an oil change yourself before hand or get someone you know that can do it to do it, not that hard, jus make sure you change filters and spark plugs aswell. you can buy a service kit from any auto factors for roughly 50euro. Quiet handy to do yourself really...
    ----Water levels
    ----Brake fluid levels
    ----Brake Pads
    ----Lights, front and back. make sure there is no missing bulbs and alligned correct at the front. common fail point
    ----Tyres, are pumped up to right pressure and dont forget the spare in the boot. they will check this too. make sure aswell there is no indents in them from the likes of scraping off curbs..etc
    ----seatbelts all work correctly
    ---- these are common fail points but they are things you can do yourself so why pay someone to do it for you....
    i hope this helps a little but good luck with your test

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tav

I'm was looking to buy a second hand car but the one i like is without NCT ><.

Do you think that before making a decision, it would be a good idea to take it to a Pre NCT test? Or should i get a mechanic to look at it? Problem is that i don't know any but i've heard that there are some people who might do it for you.

tav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Tav wrote: »
    I'm was looking to buy a second hand car but the one i like is without NCT ><.
    tav

tav, cars that don't have NCTs (that should) don't have them because they have failed and it's too expensive to fix the problem and the owner has decided to sell on the problem.

Back on topic: OP, never mind pre-NCT tests. The NCT itself is cheaper and better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 barrybevel

I got a pre NCT test done at Advanced Pitstop beside Croker.
    When I returned he told me they put a bulb in.
    I got angry and said Im not paying and they said they were not asking me to pay it was only a few cents and they did it for free. They said maybe the breaks need replacing. I didnt pay them one cent. Done the test and passed. Later that year I went back to them and got the brakes replaced as they were getting crap.

Pre NCT tests are a way for a garage to get more customers in the future
    ... not a ripoff.
    I always go back there just because they gave me a free bulb.
    Maybe I am an idiot but I trust them and that's worth a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement