Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless usb adapter

• 27-02-2006 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I signed up for broadband with eircom and i foolishly forgot my old trojan of a desktop has no wireless connectivity, so basically i need a wireless usb adapter, the one on eircoms site is €50so what i wanna know is, will this one from our friends at peats do:
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=8353&type=6&sid=1322083x0

Or can anybody recommend another one thats fairly cheap
    I am in IT 8 years but on the r&d software side, i know bugger all about this stuff

Any help appreciated here lads

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That one in Peats will do fine. They all follow the same protocols and standards so any one will work with the Eircom router. I found the cheaper ones work just as well as the dear ones.
    If your not pushed about wireless or the router is close to the PC then a PCI ethernet card will do. The router also has 4 ethernet ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Many thanks Kaiser - i'll go with that one €28 euro aint bad, only want it until i get my new laptop in 2 months or so

Cheeers dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A PCCard/PCMCIA card, internal miniPCI or Wireless to Ethernet all work much better than Wirless USB. The USB adaptors are really for if NO other solution is possible.

My DELL Inspiron uses a builtin MiniPCI and my son's uses a PC Card / PCMICA type Wireless adaptor.

I can also plug in directly using a built in Ethernet port.

Most better Notebooks/Laptops have internal Wireless adaptor option which is generally better than USB.

For a Desktop PC an Ethernet is best, or else a PCI Wireless adaptor. Or indeed a PC/PCMCIA slot on a PCI card and then use a Notebook/Laptop Wireless adaptor for PCMCIA/PC Card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

For a Desktop PC an Ethernet is best

Eircom even give you a couple of free Ethernet cables and with 4 Ethernet ports on the Netopia Router, if you have an Ethernet socket on your Pc, your away with a hack !!!! .... :p

Advertisement