Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Idiot Patents AJAX and other Rich Media Tech.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Is it April already? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Ridiculous. This is why software patents are a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its all fine and dandy until MS sues the arse out from under him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

Reason number 1 why I'm glad we don't recognise software patents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Because he began developing the methods and processes more than a half decade ago, he believes he can prove his invention is novel and nonobvious, two requirements to get a patent, and can fend off any patent challenges from potential licensees who might contend the invention is neither new nor obscure.

(from foot of the article)

It may be novel in one sence but it certainly isn't obscure. I have support modules within my blog suite (php) for mp3's, mpeg, iPOD and mobile pager. In other words I can do the same as what he's claiming a patent for and my system is not the only one, most of the better php blog systems can.

And where does that leave nearly every existing site that uses rich content media? It's certainly not new nor is it a novel idea - sounds well like a fast one being pulled to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hmm, didn't someone try to patent the hyperlink?
    Wonder what ever happened with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

I found out the hard way, but this is not exactly what it seems.
    Take a look at this:

http://www.gablarski.com/stupid-people/2006/sloppy-journalism/

This gives a decent unbias view.

Advertisement