Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any way to change BB providers without the Downtime??

• 27-02-2006 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to change to Smart BB. i'm currently on EsatBT Business BB (and gettin ripped off by them to!!)... so i've decided to up sticks and move everything over to Smart. My Phone is currently on Eircom... i don't mind changing number or anything like that... but i've just been on the phone and i've been told that i'll be without BB for 1-2 weeks!!!
    Now, i just can't do that... i work alot from home, and need my connection to connect into other pc's in different offices... and this length of down time is insane!!! i know i'm on an unbundled exchange (i'm in D8, SCR..)

I hope someone can help me... one or 2 days is fine, but anything more than that is too much...

Cheers in advance,

B...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

1 - 2 weeks if you're lucky going by some of the stories posted here.
    The first thing you'll have to do is cancel your current BB as the transfer will be blocked by Eircom if you have BB on you're line.
    The only way to change provider without any downtime is to switch to another one of the Eircom resellers (Netsource, Digiweb, etc)
    When you say BT Business BB, have BT unbundled your line already?
    It may be worth your while getting in a second line and use that one for Smart. When that's up and running cancel the other one. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Yeah, i'm on an unbundled exchange... i don't have a cap... i have a static IP... it's seperate to the home BB offers... ... is Magnet one of the eircom resellers?

i like that idea... i'll look into getting a second line and once's it up and running, cancel the first one and the BB on it!!!
    good thinking... cheers...
    kaizersoze wrote:
    1 - 2 weeks if you're lucky going by some of the stories posted here.
    The first thing you'll have to do is cancel your current BB as the transfer will be blocked by Eircom if you have BB on you're line.
    The only way to change provider without any downtime is to switch to another one of the Eircom resellers (Netsource, Digiweb, etc)
    When you say BT Business BB, have BT unbundled your line already?
    It may be worth your while getting in a second line and use that one for Smart. When that's up and running cancel the other one. Just a thought.

I just phoned Eircom about getting a second line in... and they told me that there is at least a 4 week waiting period and it would cost 130euro!!!!! what's that about... i already have a line installed... and it was brand new when i got it installed a couple of years back... i even helped the guy wire it up to the exchange which is at the back of my house... so it's a brand new piece of copper, running about 100foot or so from my socket to the exchange... this is madness!!!!
    If i opt for Magnet (although i'm not sure yet, as i've not heard great things really) willl i have the down time???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yes, same deal with Magnet.

Eircom charges stupid ass money if you want a brand new line. I'd say you should plan to be without broadband for at least a month if you're planning to move to Smart. It's a great little system eircom's got going.

You're not in an NTL enabled area, are you? NTL and Smart often cover about the same places.

No, phoned NTL... they are not in my area... my area being the city center (well just out side it... portabello!!)... it's rediculas... they are making it extremely difficult for people to change service providers and is something that should be sorted... it's like the number porting on the GSM networks... i know it took a while but that got sorted... and if people were able to move more freely (after their contracts were up) betweek BB ISP's then competition might be a bit more healthy!!!!!

SOO Annoying... :mad: :mad: :mad:

EDIT:
    Just phone BT Ireland so see if i could switch from the business BB to the residential, and if i did want to do that, then i would be down for 2-3 weeks!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!! this is teh craziest situation i've ever come accross... and all this because BT won't give me the free upgrade that everone else got cause i'm on a business line... and are charging me and arm and a leg for an inferior service!!!!!!! "oh we have no cap on that serice and your contention ratio is lower" they keep telling me... BIG DEAL!!! i couldn't care less about contention ratio's... i just want a faster download is all...
    i think it's time i sent something to ComReg!!!

FURTHER UPDATE:
    Just off the phone with BT... and now i've been told that there is a 60 day cancelation period... which means, that i've got 60days to wait from when i cancel my BB before i can order a new one from another ISP... i've contacted my Acc Manager and told them that my contract ended 2 years ago and therefore i fell that i should not have to honour this so called cancelation period...

any advice would be grately appriciated...

B

• Advertisement

Bump

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Bump

On what do they base the 60 day cancellation period? was it in your terms and conditions? Maybe business is different to the consumer bb but its usually a months notice there once you have completed your contract term.

Have you asked Smart about whats involved in moving an already unbundled line to them? also afaik Smart only provide static ip to their business customers but I also think they are shortly to announce new business packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i transfered from eircom to bt in january, i had about 3 days of downtime mainly due to them not setting up a username and password for me.

it's a load of old poo at the moment... My account manager hasn't returned any of my calls or emails... if i don't hear from them tomorrow... i'll have to go through different channels...
    I miss the day's when Bill Murphy was incharge, he would look after any issues customers were having and get them resolved within min's...

just on the off chance, does anyone have the mail address of the new CEO??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Only two days downtime going from Eircon to BT, line and BB all in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

I'm thinking of jumping ship from UTV to BT for BBand and phone, and don't want to get stung for paying for an extra months BB with UTV as its being transferred over. Anyone any experience with this? Should I cancel with UTV first and then sign to BT or request transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I'm thinking of jumping ship from UTV to BT for BBand and phone, and don't want to get stung for paying for an extra months BB with UTV as its being transferred over. Anyone any experience with this? Should I cancel with UTV first and then sign to BT or request transfer?

I'm in the process of changing from UTV to BT, I sent of the transfer forms to BT on the 6th of Jan and then gave UTV the 30 days notice, so on the 8th of Feb I lost my DSL signal and no BB since then. I got on to BT to see if I was up and going in late Jan and the said that I will know my Account with them is active when I recieve the modem, to this day I have still not got a modem or DSL signal, I am now 3 weeks without BB :mad:

A week ago BT's maintance team verifyed that there was no application for BB since UTV over 2 years ago so BT's customer care applied for a connection last wednesday and called me back on friday telling Me I should be Live now, but still no DSL signal on the modem, so Today there customer care ring me back saying it is My fault there is no DSL on My line and it is because I asked UTV to cancel it and the could not transfer something that was not there..

But when I got on to UTV today for a cancelation number they said they would have handed over the Line and DSL if it was requested within the 30 Days notice but there did not hear from BT ontill the 22 of Feb which was 14 days after the 30 days were up.:confused:

So 3 weeks after trying to resolve my downtime I'm back on Dial up, what a mess....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Suffer the extra the extra sub and do not cancel UTV until you are live with BT. What happened to Dubsmax is the mess that happens when you do.
    Even UTV have it on their website not to cancel your existing BB when transfering to them.

Advertisement