Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time fisher

Options
  • 27-02-2006 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

alright lads

i wanna get into fishing, a few of my friends used to be into it years ago ,si we thought we`d give it a crack and go somewhere this weekend for some freshwater fishing, just wondering

where would be a decent place, we dont mind going for the weekend, so it doesnt have to be inside Dublin, but i do wanna catch something(not a cold :D )

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

My recommendation would be to go to Virginia in Cavan, Lough Ramor is a good spot, got a nice head of bream and some decent fishing spots, bring along plenty of groundbait and maggots/worms - just ask the locals down there for the best spot to fish at the moment and you should get in a few.

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The forecast for this weekend is for it to stay unseasonably cold, you're unlikely to catch anything, unless you target pike. then they might be off spawning somewhere. Not a good time to go fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

thanks for the info lads, much appreciated

i think we`ll leave it for a few weeks, besides, i gotta get a rod and other stuff

what would you reckon is the best shop to go, southside angling, i live in Tallaght, but i heard Tallaght rod and gun is pretty shoddy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

depends on what type of rod u want and the target speicies.

its not like the old days where "any old rod will do"

even tho some so called "anglers" still use sea fishing gear for pike :rolleyes:

well, i dont have an open cheque, but of course im gonna have to pay

id only be interested in lake and river fishing, beach casting wouldnt tickle my fancy at all, and i know canals are another game again

so where would you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

well, i dont have an open cheque, but of course im gonna have to pay

id only be interested in lake and river fishing, beach casting wouldnt tickle my fancy at all, and i know canals are another game again

so where would you recommend?

I actually think you'll be ok with Tallaght angling/shooting store. He is generally about average for prices and you should pick up a decent match/ledger rod for about €50-60, if you've any relatives in the states get them to drop into their local wal mart or k mart and pick you up a good reel, you'll get shimano and daiwa good fixed spool/rear drag reels there for anywhere in the region of $20 which is quite a lot cheaper than here, but on average I guess you'll pick up a decent reel for around €40 anyway, it's expensive to get started (line/hooks/weights floats all tot up quickly....) but once you commit your credit card to such an initial beating it's plain sailing from here on as you'll only really have to pay for biat/groundbait (around 20-30 quid would be sufficient for a session)

Anyway, welcome back to the sport and best of luck, there's plenty of good fisheries out there just waiting to be plucked!! :D

cheers man

yeah, we hit tallaght rod and gun there on monday, got some decent info, had a look at a rod, €60, alot cheaper than i thought, and an Oyama reel, the undertaker, thats €60, my mate really has his eye on that, just over the name :D

gonna go out to anglers world in navan on saturday, if we dont see anything better, tallaght rod and gun it is, i cant bloody wait

well, we got all our gear

we went down to anglers world in Navan, and i have to say, the chap running it, Paul O`Callaghan, couldnt have been better with us, ran us through an absolute bunch of things, i dont any of us realised how daunting buying fishing gear for our first time would be, as usual, we thought any kind of rod would do for pretty much everything, but seeign as there could be nothing further from the truth, Paul in angerls world was only too happy to show us what was what, he must have spent a good hour with us, which really is something, and i know the 3 of us where really appreciative of his help

so basically we got coarse fishing rods and reels, we all got different lenghts, so we can swap around, ranging from 10ft up to 13ft rods

we cant wait to get going now, setting up is gonna be hella tricky, i think i may need a diagram ;) but onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

well, we got all our gear

we went down to anglers world in Navan, and i have to say, the chap running it, Paul O`Callaghan, couldnt have been better with us, ran us through an absolute bunch of things, i dont any of us realised how daunting buying fishing gear for our first time would be, as usual, we thought any kind of rod would do for pretty much everything, but seeign as there could be nothing further from the truth, Paul in angerls world was only too happy to show us what was what, he must have spent a good hour with us, which really is something, and i know the 3 of us where really appreciative of his help

so basically we got coarse fishing rods and reels, we all got different lenghts, so we can swap around, ranging from 10ft up to 13ft rods

we cant wait to get going now, setting up is gonna be hella tricky, i think i may need a diagram ;) but onwards and upwards :D

Hey. Yeah the guys in Anglers World are good for all the gen on what you need for each type of fishing and he always has a great stock of tackle and baits. So when are you planning to give it a lash? I was on Ramor for the day today, about 7hrs.. Twas cool enough but the fish are still frequenting the little boat bay in the centre of the town. There aren't many big ones but had a couple of nice Rudd and Roach to 2lb or so. Lots of Perch too! They do my head in down there as there's no way to avoid them (they eat everything i put on the hook - Maggots, Sweetcorn, Bloodworm pellets and even bread which is unusually for the species). I've lived out this way for quite some time but only recently and by accident I fished Ramor for the first time and from now on I'll be giving it my full attention for the coming spring and summer months! Anyway, I reckon you would be still able to catch if you gave that a go this weekend. Tis gonna be cold but they don't seem to be too bothered in that particular spot. Good luck with it!!

we where planning this weekend, but you know yourself, one lad says yes, another says no

so id say it`ll be next weekend that we actually go, btw, i heard Ramor could be a bit too daunting for beginners, and that we should probably stick to a smaller lake, any other ideas on something really good up thatw ay, but smaller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

we where planning this weekend, but you know yourself, one lad says yes, another says no

so id say it`ll be next weekend that we actually go, btw, i heard Ramor could be a bit too daunting for beginners, and that we should probably stick to a smaller lake, any other ideas on something really good up thatw ay, but smaller?

No tbh! There is nowhere else fishing well up here at present and unless you're a seasoned angler you would struggle imo to pin down any decent catches. Its just to changeable weatherwise still. Don't be put off by anyone who told you that Ramor is not for beginners! I have seen kids (10 - 14yrs) catch from the spot I told you about! Just setup in the boat bay and I guarantee you WILL catch fish!! As for the rest of the lake, yes you would need prior knowledge and certainly more experience to attract and hold the many shoals of really good sized Bream in there... But for a start off, that spot will yield you upwards of 10/20lb of fish without to much difficulty, Roach, Rudd and lots off Perch and maybe the odd Skimmer (young Bream). Let me know how you get on! ;)

but when i say we`re beginners, i mean BEGINNERS

we`re so gimpy, we actually had to print a diagram off the internet on how to spool up our reels, like i said, BEGINNERS!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Hi Chrisbonnie,
    Welcome to the world of angling ! I am not sure if you have been out yet but a venue that you should consider is The National Disabled Anglers facility in Aughrim Co. Wicklow. It is open to the Public and is well stocked with good quality trout. It is a managed fishery and the staff are very helpful for beginners. The lake is approx 4 acres and bait fishing is allowed. It is a very nice place to fish and not too far from Dublin. Price rates are very fair and the trout in it are quality and well sized. Trust me, it is worth looking into.
    Tight Lines !

http://www.ireland.ie/things_2_do_results_detail.asp?TID=50783

Advertisement