Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Negotiating with dealer

Options
  • 27-02-2006 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi all,

Maybe this have been covered before, but I'm looking to buy a used car from a dealer. Had a look at one particular car & like it. Would like to know how best to haggle with him. Some questions:

What kind of % off list price would be the norm?
    What kind of extras should I go for?
    Thinking hands-free kit, 1st service free, fill of diesel, multi-cd changer, that type of thing.
    Will be buying for cash and no trade-in

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

0lordy wrote:
    Hi all,

Maybe this have been covered before, but I'm looking to buy a used car from a dealer. Had a look at one particular car & like it. Would like to know how best to haggle with him. Some questions:

What kind of % off list price would be the norm?
    What kind of extras should I go for?
    Thinking hands-free kit, 1st service free, fill of diesel, multi-cd changer, that type of thing.
    Will be buying for cash and no trade-in

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Depends hugely on the value of the car, are you buying from a main dealer, how old is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Depending on the dealership, the usual discount on a used car will be somewhere in the 5-10% region. That said, the dealer could have priced this particular car anywhere from very well to right over the top. Learn the market value of the car you're interested in. Price other similar models, both privately and in garages. This will give you a much better idea of what a "fair" price for the car might be. I find a good negotiation technique is to invent a similar car at another, competing, dealership. Make it clear to the salesperson that you'd prefer to buy their car, but that the other car is, say, E1,000 cheaper. Invite them to help you bridge the gap. A good way to find out whether you've hit rock bottom is to say something like "I'll have to go away and have a think about it. Is that absolutely your best price?" If there's any more in it, they'll probably give it to you rather than let you walk. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Thanks Anan1.

zuutroy: cost is GBP10,500 (buying in Norn Irn), from main dealer, 2004 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

0lordy wrote:
    Thanks Anan1.

zuutroy: cost is GBP10,500 (buying in Norn Irn), from main dealer, 2004 car.

If it was me, I'd be happy with 9,750, 6 month warranty, and a full tank. Doubt you'll get a free service, but chance your arm. I'd say a CD changer will definitely be a bridge too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless you are a frequent traveller up to the North the warranty may not benefit you. You could use this to your advantage and get them to knock more off the price as they will never see you again.

But if you are going to do this you should consider buying from a private seller. The risk is the same but the price will be alot cheaper as a private seller will have no overheads and are probably more willing to sell the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah just noticed that you live in Letterkenny so travelling over the border is not such a big issue.

If it is a 2004 car then you should be getting 12 months warranty with it. A tank of diesel is not going to cost the dealer alot so throw this towards the end of the deal. (Tell them you have to drive it home can you fill the tank for me).

Not too sure about the Cd changer as they probably don't make alot of money from them. I think the best you could hope for is paying the cost price for it. No harm in asking though.

Advertisement