Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

matching hook sizes to species

Options
  • 27-02-2006 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Lads, can anyone point me to a definitive guide to what the optimal hook sizes would be for sea fishing in Ireland. I do a bit of beach / rock fishing in Clare, recently I got some pre-made flatfish rigs (with the attractors , beads etc ... hoping they might attract the elusive plaice) but was surprised to see that the hoof size was quite small. Now all I know about fishing I learnt from my Dad, we've generally used size 3 when bass or flatfish hunting, this may well be due to the fact that there were actually some large bass to be found in clare in years gone by, if they are still there they are damn hard to catch, haven't landed anything better than 4 lbs in recent years though we regularly got 9 / 10lb pplus in the old days.

Worried I may be using the wrong sizes. :(

Advertisement