Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

wet phone

• 27-02-2006 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

so i accidently dropped my phone down the toilet. i got it out and dried it off and it's turning on but not doing anything. when i say on, the screen gets less dark and you can hear it trying to work. i have it on the rad trying to dry it out, anyone any other ideas of what i could do?
    and yes, the toilet was flushed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Join the club ...... :rolleyes:
    In the UK alone, as estimated 600,000 mobiles are flushed every year

Concensus of opinion seems to be to dry it out completely before turning it back on ... i.e. leave it in an Airing cuboard for a few days .... then turn it on .... then chuck it in the re-cycling bin .... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Put it into as many parts as possible. Like take out battery, back etc.
    Turning it on just after it's got wet is bad for it. You should just leave it in the hot press for a few days and see if it's ok then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Pythia wrote:
    Put it into as many parts as possible. Like take out battery, back etc.
    Turning it on just after it's got wet is bad for it. You should just leave it in the hot press for a few days and see if it's ok then.

This is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

hot press is best. theres nothing worse than putting it on a radiator because it dries out too fast. ever seen wooden floors after a flood? as pythia says put it into as many parts as possible and leave it to dry for as long as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

My 'phone fell into a basin of boiling water. I took it apart and put it in the hotpress overnight. Perfect working order since. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

i left it on the rad for a few hours and it started to work again. the only thing different is that the cam is a bit blurry, ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

just leave it in for another while and see if it gets better, that part might just be wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

My sis got her old phone soaked, and I just disassembled the phone and dryed it with the hair dryer on a low heat. When I put it back together it worked fine only it failed to connect to the network because the "outgoing" antenna was damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

if only i didnt drop mine while locked... then shorted it by repeatidly trying to turn it on and off. ill know for again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I remember seeing this done on the gadget show on Channel 5 - they had five mobile phones which they dropped into water. After a short while they then opened the phones breaking it into a sensible number of parts e.g. back off, battery off etc. leaving it as exposed as possible. The phones were then put under a 40w lamp for 24 hours and then put back together again. They all worked perfectly!

As already mentioned use a gentle heat in which to dry the phone out. Doing it too fast like a radiator will end up in disaster! A hot press might be a lot itself put obviously people have had success.

Also, as bizarre as this sounds, if you can try and wash the wet surface area with purified water before drying - this can help remove some of the deposits, materials and other stuff in the water you originally dropped it in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I remember seeing this done on the gadget show on Channel 5 - they had five mobile phones which they dropped into water. After a short while they then opened the phones breaking it into a sensible number of parts e.g. back off, battery off etc. leaving it as exposed as possible. The phones were then put under a 40w lamp for 24 hours and then put back together again. They all worked perfectly!

As already mentioned use a gentle heat in which to dry the phone out. Doing it too fast like a radiator will end up in disaster! A hot press might be a lot itself put obviously people have had success.

Also, as bizarre as this sounds, if you can try and wash the wet surface area with purified water before drying - this can help remove some of the deposits, materials and other stuff in the water you originally dropped it in.

Yeah I saw this too, they took every thing off that they could and used a Q-tip to dab it dry then left a 60w bulb overnight on it, radiators and hot presses make it worse!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Just an update, i had a go at turning on my 6600 there during the week and it turned on first time! it had been sitting beside a radiator for about 2 months and it worked! all perfect except for the * button, so i cant lock it at the moment. The keypad membranes are very cheap off ebay, and are very easy to change (done it once before.) So about £12 on ebay will have me sorted!

Advertisement