Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing 1940s Floorboards on Concrete Floor

Options
  • 27-02-2006 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

I took up the carpet in the downstairs sitting room in my 1940s ex-corpo house in Drimnagh. There are 7" wide planks nailed to the cement floor, with a bitumen layer in between. Six of the planks were rotten, so I picked up replacement timber planks. I plan on re-bitumening the floor, fitting the planks and sanding/varnishing the floor. What is the best way of securing the planks to the concrete? What type of nail are the best to use (if nails are recommended)?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Nails into cold bitumen will cause it to crack but that's not the question, you could use Hilti or similar masonary nails, a better option might be to use a masonary drill, fit plastic plugs and screw the boards down.

If you want a really high quality job make sure the replacement boards were treated and use brass screws.

Advertisement