Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will be the new Ireland Captain?

• 27-02-2006 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Shay Given on merit but I would much rather have a captain in midfield.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well its not Given, thats for definite. Robbie Keane almost certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Really, hope not. Robbie finds it hard enough to perform under pressure never mind having the captaincy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bizarrely Kevin Kilbane seems to be getting mentioned in a lot of the papers today. The Star reckon Kilbane will get it while The Sun think its a toss up between Kilbane and Dunne. Personally I also reckon Robbie shall get the nod.

Well the Evening Herald tonight seems sure its Keane. Given said last night at the awards that it wouldn't be him.

I'd put money on Keane. Not saying I agree with it but it seems the most likely choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its Keane is'nt it? Thats what the meeeeeeja is saying since lunchtime. Crazy choice if true, Finnan or Given would be my selections.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Dunne, Kilbane or Keane for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

is keane captain for spurs? or was that a temporary thing

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

He was vice captain for spurs for a while but i think it was mainly cause he was unsettled.
    Id like to see kilbane, i think in the absence of any leadership qualities throughout the team his work ethic is something for the younger players to look to for inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

uch no, if kilbane was captain that would mean he'd be playing! Desire and effort he's full of but he's still not a good footballer.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It should have been Given, I don't care what anyone says. I personally cannot think of one other player on the team that suits the role of captaining Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 mikelmessi

Not Robbie Keane, he does too much moaning already. Given's not getting it, should give it to Dunne. Perfect position from where to captain the side and it would be good to build the defence around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Steve Finnan would be my choice, maybe the Pool fans could confirm this but hasn't he captained the Pool on occasion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

bring back Roy Keane, if not then.....the other Keane, but it should be Given. He was my tip ages ago but Stan is after rulling him out apparantly. I hope to god that it isn't Kilbane. Thats a horrible thought actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

blu_sonic wrote:
    Steve Finnan would be my choice, maybe the Pool fans could confirm this but hasn't he captained the Pool on occasion?

Yes I agree. He is the most consistant player on the team. One of the reasons I wasn't overly unhappy with kerr's departure was because he put Carr instead of Finnan, who is far better.
    Robbie Keane is not the right character for it IMO. Don't remember him captaining pool but he may have.

Thanks for letting me in this forum, I didn't realise till now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

It'll be Given, for 2 reasons.

#1 He's guaranteed to start every game. Stability of selection necessary for captain.

and

#2 He's the most experienced in the squad that fulfils criteria #1.

Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

It should be Given, Robbie Keane is far from being a stabilising influence on any team. My wildcard selection would be Graham Kavanagh if he was playing regularly until the European Championships. He's in the Roy Keane mould (solid and a generally good influence) and hopefully by the time the next World Cup qualifiers come around, we'll have a soild team made up of players in their twenties at the peak of their career and have a wide range of potential captains available. Either way, I don't think the new captain will be there for very long.

SebtheBum wrote:
    It'll be Given, for 2 reasons.

#1 He's guaranteed to start every game. Stability of selection necessary for captain.

and

#2 He's the most experienced in the squad that fulfils criteria #1.

Simple really.

He said at the FAI Awards on Sunday that he has been told it isn't him.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Robbie Keane is named as captain. I don't know what to think about it... Hopefully it will make him grow up a little on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Stauntons first mistake as Manager, Robbie Keane is not a leader he is an indivdual player who can score great goals but he is not a leader. Shay Given is the only player who led by example in all of Ireland previous games in the World Cup Qualifiers.

I just hope this isn't the first mistake of many!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Although personally I think Shay should've gotten the nod, to those that are saying Robbie is not a team player, have you not being watching Spurs this season? He has been fantastic for them, a real team player. Hopefully e can bring it to the Irish squad.

The thing that worries me though, is the fact that although he has hit consistant good form at Spurs since captaining them on several occasions, I reckon the improvement is more down to the the fact that he has had to battle for his game against the likes of Defoe et al and that's soemthing that he won't have to do for Ireland. Having said that though, it could be the making of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Laughing at this thread!! does anyone watch Spurs or the Ireland team for the last 5 years? Keane has been one of our best players over those years and is the top scorer for the Republic of Ireland EVER! He is a class player and it is a fight between him and Duff as our best player outfield.

Watch Keane since he was captain at Spurs, was pure class and a great captain. really pulled the side together and they got some great results with him being one of the top performers and kicked Defoe out of the team and he could only get a few mins each game! remember Defoe is one of Englands top strikers. But sure why would that show he should be captain????? it just shows how little people know about footie when you see the posts on here! All along Keane was my first choice, not saying Given should have been considered but I like a captain in the field of play to shout the orders! I think goalkeepers can have problem motivating players from the goal so Keane was obvious first choice because I dont think Duff is captain material, great player but not really in the mould of a captain.

Finnan? you having a laugh arnt you. Have you ever seen him in the captain role? if so then shows again lack of knowledge of footie,

Kilbane: no chance, dont even see him as first choice anymore

Thats it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Keane is a VERY different player for spurs than he is for Ireland. He indulges himself too much for Ireland and ISN'T a team player for them. He can't do that at spurs because he knows that he'd lose out to Defoe the minute he started that crap.

IMO he is nowhere near our best outfield player and I'd be less worried with him being out of the team than I would losing Duff, Given, Finnan or god help me even Kilbane (given our shortages in central midfield). Cunningham would have been more important to our team before he retired, as would Kav or Roy Keane.

As for Keane's scoring record. How many goals has Keane scored against the main 2/3 rival teams in our qualifying groups? How many goals against Russia and the Swiss in the last Eruo qualifiers? How many against the Swiss, French and Israelis in the WC qualifiers?

Its all very well and good banging in goals in friendlies and teams like cyprus, top international strikers and our so-called best players should be scoring against our main rivals. Keane goes missing in the big games. Morrisson, for all his shortcomings, has a better strikerate against our rivals.

Awful descision to put Keane as Captain. The only thing I can think is taht Staunton thinks it might knock him into line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He indulges himself too much for Ireland and ISN'T a team player for them. He can't do that at spurs because he knows that he'd lose out to Defoe the minute he started that crap.

Or perhaps, just perhaps, it;s because he is playing with a better team around him. Don't forget, in attack we tend to have Duff, Kilbane, Reid, Morrisson around him, and you'll find he always links up well with Duff

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Big Nelly wrote:
    Laughing at this thread!! does anyone watch Spurs or the Ireland team for the last 5 years? Keane has been one of our best players over those years and is the top scorer for the Republic of Ireland EVER! He is a class player and it is a fight between him and Duff as our best player outfield.

Watch Keane since he was captain at Spurs, was pure class and a great captain. really pulled the side together and they got some great results with him being one of the top performers and kicked Defoe out of the team and he could only get a few mins each game! remember Defoe is one of Englands top strikers. But sure why would that show he should be captain????? it just shows how little people know about footie when you see the posts on here! All along Keane was my first choice, not saying Given should have been considered but I like a captain in the field of play to shout the orders! I think goalkeepers can have problem motivating players from the goal so Keane was obvious first choice because I dont think Duff is captain material, great player but not really in the mould of a captain.

Finnan? you having a laugh arnt you. Have you ever seen him in the captain role? if so then shows again lack of knowledge of footie,

Kilbane: no chance, dont even see him as first choice anymore

Thats it!!
    What a ridiculous post. I'm not talking about your views on the captaincy, I'm talking about your views on other people having no knowledge of football, simply as their stated opinion differs from yours. I haven't said anything about who I'd like as captain, but if I do (and Keane wouldn't be a choice of mine) does that really mean I know nothing about football? Grow up and realise that everyones opinion is valid. Why is your opinion more valid than those who feel Keane won't make a good captain? Someone made a good point about Keane, saying yes, he has performed well since being captain of Spurs, but that could be due to competition. Time will tell. I may be proven wrong, and he may well be a great captain (I hope he is) but stating my opinion here as I do now, that I would rather he hadn't been made captain, doesn't mean I have less football knowledge than you. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Staunton hands Keane Republic captaincy

Tottenham striker Robbie Keane was today appointed the new Republic of Ireland captain.

The 25-year-old becomes the first captain of Steve Staunton's reign as Republic manager, and is a former international team-mate of the new boss.

Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given has been appointed vice-captain.

Keane is Ireland's record scorer with 24 goals and has already won 65 caps, as well as taking in spells with Wolves, Coventry, Inter Milan and Leeds during his club career.

Staunton said on Sky Sports News: 'He's a world-class player. You only have to look at the clubs he's played for.

'Our lads respect him - the utmost respect - and I've given him a little challenge. He's certainly up for the job. I'm sure he'll do a good job.'

He added: 'The fans see him as an icon. You only have to listen to the chorus tomorrow night and he responds as Shay does at other end.

'Those factors and the added responsibility it will bring him can make him a better player again.'

I would've given it to Given. I think Keane should've been vice-captian but even for that post I think there is better candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Personally I couldn't care less who is captain. A good team will have enough leaders on the pitch to show an example to the rest of them. I'm more interested in seeing which XI Stan picks rather than who gets the armband.

What a ridiculous post. I'm not talking about your views on the captaincy, I'm talking about your views on other people having no knowledge of football, simply as their stated opinion differs from yours. I haven't said anything about who I'd like as captain, but if I do (and Keane wouldn't be a choice of mine) does that really mean I know nothing about football? Grow up and realise that everyones opinion is valid. Why is your opinion more valid than those who feel Keane won't make a good captain? Someone made a good point about Keane, saying yes, he has performed well since being captain of Spurs, but that could be due to competition. Time will tell. I may be proven wrong, and he may well be a great captain (I hope he is) but stating my opinion here as I do now, that I would rather he hadn't been made captain, doesn't mean I have less football knowledge than you. Ridiculous.

Well read back thru this thread and loads coming on here slating Keane and seems to happen with every Irish thread. Where would Ireland be without Keanes goals? alot worse position than we are in at the moment. He is one of our best players and our best Striker by a mile, so what do we do? slate him at every chance we get!!

When Keane was capatin at Spurs he was not only playing well but he was a great captain urging the team on and did you notice that after he came captain all of a sudden Mido was scoring in most games. He was greta at ghetting the midfield to drive on. Then people post that he is an individual and is not a leader??? why if he cant lead a team of stars at Spurs cant he lead a Rep team who all look up to him???

So my post is ridiculous because I have actual done some research into this and watched Keane in a few games to see how he was doing as a captain? yeah very ridiculous if you research something. its easier just to come on here, jump on the "We hate Keane" bangwagon and slate him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well read back thru this thread and loads coming on here slating Keane and seems to happen with every Irish thread. Where would Ireland be without Keanes goals? alot worse position than we are in at the moment. He is one of our best players and our best Striker by a mile, so what do we do? slate him at every chance we get!!

When Keane was capatin at Spurs he was not only playing well but he was a great captain urging the team on and did you notice that after he came captain all of a sudden Mido was scoring in most games. He was greta at ghetting the midfield to drive on. Then people post that he is an individual and is not a leader??? why if he cant lead a team of stars at Spurs cant he lead a Rep team who all look up to him???

So my post is ridiculous because I have actual done some research into this and watched Keane in a few games to see how he was doing as a captain? yeah very ridiculous if you research something. its easier just to come on here, jump on the "We hate Keane" bangwagon and slate him!!
    Erm, if you read my post, you'll see i didn't jump on the "we hate Keane" bandwagon. I don't think he'll make a good captain, but that's just my opinion. Firstly I prefer a midfielder or centre back. We're struggling for choices there, but I have come around to Richard Dunne, but he may have too many discipline problems, despite the fact he appears to be overcoming them.

I find your post ridiculous, not becuase you researched and think he's a good appointment. That's your opinion, and I respect that.

You however don't appear to respect other peoples opinions, or their rights to express them. You seem to think that because you have "researched" it, you are right and know more about football than others.

I know nothing about you, or your knowledge of football, but I'm sure if there were some kind of trivia night, or coaching job you could try, you'd be ahead of some, and behind some.

Because you think you're right, don't go brandishing others as know nothings.

In fairness to the Keane bashers I think most Irish supporter who judge him judge him based on his performances for Ireland (not Spurs) and in that regard they have a point.

Whilst his scoring ratios have remained consistent for Ireland I think it's fair to say his general performances under Kerr weren't as good as they were under Mick (and once again I think thats Kerrs fault imho but I didn't like the petulant attitude Keane displayed on the pitch at time even if he was frustrated). Hopefully Stans appointment will get him playing as good for us as he does for spurs atm.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:

Which goals? Aside from the Germany goal, what goals has Keane scored in the past 4 years against top opposition. How many goals per game vs. top opposition has he scored.

Then people post that he is an individual and is not a leader??? why if he cant lead a team of stars at Spurs cant he lead a Rep team who all look up to him???
    It be skeptical thatthe likes of Finnan, Kavanagh, Dunne, Given, Stephen Reid, Kilbane and O'Shea look up to Keane. Admire him maybe, but look up to him? I wouldn't see why.
    His performances for spurs don't exactly mirror his Irish performances in either spirit or attitude. Watching him for spurs doesn't lend to commenting on his Irish performance.

Pigman II wrote:
    In fairness to the Keane bashers I think most Irish supporter who judge him judge him based on his performances for Ireland (not Spurs) and in that regard they have a point.

Whilst his scoring ratios have remained consistent for Ireland I think it's fair to say his general performances under Kerr weren't as good as they were under Mick (and once again I think thats Kerrs fault imho but I didn't like the petulant attitude Keane displayed on the pitch at time even if he was frustrated). Hopefully Stans appointment will get him playing as good for us as he does for spurs atm.

Problem with Kerr was that he wanted everything to go thru Duff, needed to work more with the team, all the players performed worse with Kerr than McCarthy, Even Roy Keane. I asked to base Keane performance over the last 5 years. You cant say it was all Keane's fault we where useless under Kerr. Mismanagement was the problem there

Also in regards to base your views from only watching Ireland games then we dont know who would be a good capatin because it has been Kenny or Roy for last 10 years or so. You then have to research who would be a good captain(like I have done) and out of the current squad Keane is the best choice for the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well read back thru this thread
    LOL, that seems to be your favourite argument :)
    Why don't you read back through the thread and reference what you want people to see?

PHB wrote:
    Or perhaps, just perhaps, it;s because he is playing with a better team around him. Don't forget, in attack we tend to have Duff, Kilbane, Reid, Morrisson around him, and you'll find he always links up well with Duff

I don't see how the players around him effect his tendancy to actually look up for players around him when he has possession of the ball in his opponents half.

Big Nelly wrote:
    You cant say it was all Keane's fault we where useless under Kerr.

Where did I say that?

Kerrs the reason we're not going to the world cup this year, not the players. Actually I tell a lie, Saipan is the reason.

p.pete wrote:
    LOL, that seems to be your favourite argument :)
    Why don't you read back through the thread and reference what you want people to see?

Read it already and couldnt be bothered to read back thru the usual one line replies slating keane:D

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Read it already and couldnt be bothered to read back thru the usual one line replies slating keane:D

I posted more than one line in all my posts. I don't see you following up my questions on the supposed facts you have put forward.

psi wrote:
    Which goals? Aside from the Germany goal, what goals has Keane scored in the past 4 years against top opposition. How many goals per game vs. top opposition has he scored.

Well who has scored for Ireland against anyone at all? we have been woeful since the World Cup and that was the whole squad because of mis-management! cant blame Keane when the service to him was brutal
    psi wrote:
    It be skeptical thatthe likes of Finnan, Kavanagh, Dunne, Given, Stephen Reid, Kilbane and O'Shea look up to Keane. Admire him maybe, but look up to him? I wouldn't see why.

I think they would all look up to Keane no problem. Given is vice and he leads the back line and always has. Even when Kenny was there Given was always yelling out orders.
    psi wrote:
    His performances for spurs don't exactly mirror his Irish performances in either spirit or attitude. Watching him for spurs doesn't lend to commenting on his Irish performance.

Thats a problem for the Ireland team not being up to the same standard

Wasnt going to answer because dont have time so hope short replies ok!

Squad for tomors game. Nice to see the new lads getting a game

Given, Joey O'Brien, Andy O'Brien, Richard Dunne, Ian Harte, Stephen Elliott, Steven Reid, John O'Shea, Damien Duff, Keane and Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Big Nelly wrote:
    You then have to research who would be a good captain(like I have done) and out of the current squad Keane is the best choice for the role.
    Just doing a few internet searches doesn't mean that you'll come up with conclusive evidence as is to who would be the best choice for the captaincy. There are other factors to consider, like how each potential candidate gets on with his team mates. And unless you are actually part of the Irish set up you wouldn't know.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well who has scored for Ireland against anyone at all? we have been woeful since the World Cup and that was the whole squad because of mis-management! cant blame Keane when the service to him was brutal

Well hold on, thats not the point, Morrisson has scored more than Keane in the same period (a goal more against top opposition granted). On top of that, Keane has missed alot for Ireland, easy chances, one on one with the keeper etc, so its not just about bad service.

Keane doesn't look up, doesn't pick out the easy pass and misses alot. He doesn't score against top teams (even when we were playing well).
    I think they would all look up to Keane no problem. Given is vice and he leads the back line and always has. Even when Kenny was there Given was always yelling out orders.
    I seem to remember watchng players bollicking him out of it for losing possession and not looking up during the last games for Kerr. He was substituted then. He wasn't ver vocal himself mind.

My point is, he doesn't lend himself to being a good team player for Ireland. This may have been a gamble my Staunton to try wake him up, but its a gamble. He's not the amazing born leader for Ireland that you make him out to be, no matter how well he plays for spurs.

Thats a problem for the Ireland team not being up to the same standard
    The standard of the team has no relation to Keane missing obvious easy passing or trying stupid flicks and tricks on the edge of the box when we are 1-0 down and there are men over in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I really like Robbie Keane as a footballer. I believe he is the best striker Ireland ever had.

However when he plays for Ireland, he plays as if himself and Duff are the only two players good enough. He tries to do far too much himself, and has become a hugely frustrating player to watch. I'd fear making him captain will exacerbate this. Kerr chose the worst possible moment to finally give Robbie the kick up th rear he's been asking for - but maybe he'll have learned his lesson and Stan will benefit.

Robbie's been playing well for Spurs this season, and he's been very much a team player. I hope he transfers this to Ireland.

I would have picked Richard Dunne as captain. But the fact that Martin Jol has made Robbie captain on occassions for Spurs this year at least gives me some hope that Robbie is not a bad choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement