Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght

Options
  • 27-02-2006 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me (not being from these shores!) nice pleasant areas nearish Tallaght that I might want to lve in with three kids and a dog??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

belgard and kingswood arent the worst.....house prices are around the 450k region.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Firhouse/Ballycullen/Knocklyon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Beanzer

There's a nice area called "Somewhere else"

Look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Beanzer wrote:
    There's a nice area called "Somewhere else"

Look it up

Don't say that......
    Is it really as ****e as I've heard???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

dragona wrote:
    Don't say that......
    Is it really as ****e as I've heard???

Worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

If you can afford it i'd recomend living around Ballycullen or Knocklyon. Knocklyon is a very short drive from Tallaght and has a good young population with access to decent schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

A lot of Tallaght is much the same as anywhere else so don't pay any attention to a lot of the crap you hear off fools that know nothing about the area. I've lived in the Old Bawn/Aylesbury area most of my life and have never had the slightest bit of trouble. There are some rougher areas around the council estates towards the back end of Tallaght but most if not all of the private estates are as good a place to live as anywhere else in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

I would agree 100% with masterK's post - I've actually lived in one of the rougher estates my whole life, but Tallaght is as decent a place as other more respected suburbs.

We're more cultured as well - we have 2 theatres! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭astro

chances are at least 1 of your kids aint gonna make it if u move to tallaghfornIA

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

astro wrote:
    chances are at least 1 of your kids aint gonna make it if u move to tallaghfornIA
    grow up you idiot, you've probably never even crossed the liffey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Old Bawn, Aylesbury, Ellensborough, Firhouse, Ballycullen, Kingswood, Belgard etc. are all fine. House prices start at around the 400k mark. Ignore the idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Right..........

Quite a few different opinions!!!! I don't have a clue, all I know is that a lot of people have said it is a rough AREA, and to steer clear but there is a business opportunity we don't want to pass up, so it would mean a move. Just getting a few ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye tallaght is fine if u stay EAST. the places people mentioned above like kingswood and belgard are fine, though kilnamanagh is the best (not bein biased at all, hehe). easiest thing to do is to actually look at the place ur gonna live and if it looks like crap, then find another part of tallaght, but anywhere on the Belgard Road is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Its a massive area with a population higher than Galway or Limerick cities. It varies massively depending on which part you are in, like any other large urban area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭astro

ball ox wrote:
    grow up you idiot, you've probably never even crossed the liffey

Relax friend, no need to be so abusive, that will get you banned. You do know that Tallaght is on the southside dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you know it might help if you gave us a price range. the house prices are riduculous in some areas and while i agree with the assesment of the areas mentioned above some are a good bit away from the square and would require a bus or luas to get there.

as mentioned its a "town" thats bigger than a city:)

so if you gave us a bit more info it would help. do you require easy access to the institute for instance ? or schools for kids? we might be able to help better then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Some good points made about the size of Tallaght, it's almost become a mini city in itself. As has been mentioned before if the OP can provide more details of exactly what area of Tallaght you are interested in then you will get more feedback.

Has the OP drove around the area, you'll know pretty quickly if you like the look of the area or not. Not much point asking here as half the people who'll respond know nothing about the area, only the myths they've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Check out Jobstown. Its a beautiful area, no trouble and the houses are surprisingly cheap.
    Extremely low crime rates and the community is supposed to be great, real closely knit.
    Great place to bring up kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

rb_ie wrote:
    Check out Jobstown. Its a beautiful area, no trouble and the houses are surprisingly cheap.
    Extremely low crime rates and the community is supposed to be great, real closely knit.

I hope you're taking the piss??

Try old bawn, firhouse, knocklyon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I hope you're taking the piss??

I was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 SHAKESPEARE_SIS

Depends on what you mean by "nearish". Wicklow countryside is only down the road! should get better deals on house prices too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

rb_ie wrote:
    I was.

:rolleyes: :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

rb_ie wrote:

..... :( ? even the dogs carry knife up there .

kilnamanagh is quiet enough though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

I love Tallaght so much. Not sarcasm i actually do especially cycling to the square from where i live (Templeogue) in the early morning to get tickets. Tallaght is like a whole different city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've lived in Tallaght all my life, in the Millbrook Lawns area (near Old Bawn), and I've had no trouble. Never been robbed, never been 'hopped on', never been broken into or had our car stolen, and haven't been in a fight since I was about 10! Most areas have good and bad parts, and Tallaght is no exception, it just happens to have a large population, so it's very diverse. Kingswood is probably the 'poshest' area of Tallaght, if you can say that, lol. The private estates are very nice, but there are council estates there too, as in most places, which have some messers, y'know!

Just go have a look around the places, get a feel for them, and see what vibes you get :) If every corner you see burned out cars, maybe steer clear of there, but most areas are like anywhere -- you have your good and your bad!

Don't listen to the nay-sayers, it's not as bad as people make out at all -- like I said, I've never had trouble, cos I don't go looking for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm from Firhouse... if I was to suggest any area of Tallaght then I would suggest my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Likewise, I'd recommend Belgard as I was raised there. But really, Belgard, Kingswood, Old Bawn, Fir House, Knocklyon (where I'm living now), Kilnamanagh and most of Tallaght is fine.

I've lived in Tallaght all my life, really like the area and hope eventually, to buy a place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Hey, do any of you know anything about Hazelbrook in Balrothery? Its in between Scoil Naisunta Iosa & The garage (can't remember the name of it) - facing Tymon Park? Its a little cul de sac with around 24 houses in it!

We viewed a house in it the other day & it seems really quiet. I wouldn't really be into living in Tymon North itself (too big for me), but this is a few minutes walk from the Greenhills Road so its really handy!

Anyone one have any experiences with the area?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Its a fine spot. Across from it is a large apt block with mainly ehb residents. Its generally very quiet down there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

dragona wrote:
    Can anyone tell me (not being from these shores!) nice pleasant areas nearish Tallaght that I might want to lve in with three kids and a dog??

Have a look at Saggart, Rathcoole, Newcastle..... I live in Citywest. No problems at all around here. And with Luas in 2008 and upgraded N7 you'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Your looking at 400-450 for a 3 bed semi around here.

Advertisement