Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childers road bike lane

Options
  • 27-02-2006 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Anyone know whats the story with the work on childers road someone told me its gonna be a bike lane, whats the point of a bike lane anyway if it doesnt go anywhere? The traffic there is shockin too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Either dual carriage way or bus lane ... yes they are putting a bike lane at the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Lets hope not a bus lane does any bus go down the childers road except the UL bus and thats only the bottom half. Another lane is needed after the complete mess made of the enterance to Dunnes and the traffic mess it has caused. If they made Bengall Terrace two way again it might help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

well i hope they get rid of those traffic lights outside the childers road sc what a mistake
    personally i hope they bring in bus lanes
    will help in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yeah, I prefer to see bus lanes rather then dual carraigge ways, i also would preffer more buses, but people need to realise bus lanes are for:
    Buses (all buses)
    Taxis
    Emergancy Services
    Bikes

I see so many buses (non Bus Eireann) staying out of the bus lane,.... really they are just clouging up the regular lane.! Most Bus Eireann stops are in off the bus lane too, so its ideal for non bus eireann buses to just drive past them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think Childers Road is too narrow at the moment to justify a bus lane. The section between the Parkway roundabout and the Ballysimon roundabout could be widened to have two lanes up and two lanes down. This could have been done properly when the retail park was being built. But instead we have two lanes for a short distance on one side between the two sets of traffic lights and then it converges back into one narrow lane at both ends causing a bottle neck. I use that road every morning and evening coming and going to work, most days it is bumper to bumper. I cannot see how moving a couple of buses onto a seperate lane is going to eleviate the traffic suituation in places like this.

You have 3 major retail developements in that half mile stretch of road alone, the Parkway Shopping Centre, the Childers Road Retail Park and the Parkway Retail Park. Most people will get in there cars and drive between them and I think this is where the problem lies. They are badly designed around an American idea of wide open retail units, the only thing is that the Americans have a proper transport system and wide open freeways in and out of these retail parks. The City Council need to stop giving developers planning permission for these parks without considering the impact they have on the surrounding traffic infrastructure. But as long as these parks keep pumping rates into the City Council I cannot see this changing.

Another classic example is the Aldi supermarket, another planning permission disaster, the traffic in that area was bad enough but now it unreal due to the stupid entrance/exit to the place via the old Krups opening. Again bad traffic management, a bus/cycle lane will make little difference imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Apparently the bike lane was meant to go all the way into the city up through mulgrave street but the residents objected because they would lose their parking, so now it goes no where

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Lets be honest the traffic situation on the Childers isn't even a joke anymore the lites at dunnes are a joke and you cant even see up the road coz of the stupid sign placement. the aldi situation is just ridiculous i mean the road planner in this town needs to be taken out and shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

The bike lane will go all the way to UL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Elley wrote:
    The bike lane will go all the way to UL
    It'll go all the way into town aswell.
    It's supposed to go along Bengal Terrace or something.

Advertisement