Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just after importing a car!

Options
  • 27-02-2006 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I'm just after bringing the following beast into the country:
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~phoenixplayers/Celica/new_page_1.htm

I have to say, importing a car really isn't a big deal, especially if you enjoy driving long distances (which I definitely did in this car!)!!

Flew out from knock Thurs morn at 11.30am, arrived in Luton, trains to Oxford. Checked out car. Bought car and drove it to Holyhead (with the much needed help of an AA-Route planner!) then drove back home and straight to VRO :D

I've enjoyed importing the car, and met a fellow on the boat back who does this as a sideline and reckons it's a handy grand or two each month, especially taking advantage of the serious deals in the UK autotrader.

My car is a 94 Celica GT, has full FSH since import (2003), only 48,000 miles, full MOT history, full HPI check, recent service + new clutch + brake pads. Nice spec on the car too. It is a dream to drive and feels like new. Although I will probably sell it in April because I'm after a 3S-GE engine (this car has a 3S-FE, doh.. so excited [and prob combined with tiredness] when buying it I failed to check out the JDM engine codes!). So if anyone is after a car like this in April, PM me. In the meantime I'll be importing another one, identical to this with a 3S-GE engine.

Importing is fun :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That Celica looks immaculate. Looks unmodified too which is rare these days. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Did you see the last pic though? Small bit of a dent, but shouldn't be too expensive to fix (no need for a respray).

It's a dream to drive though. Just a pity it's not the 3S-GE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Gunshot

luks real gud mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Nice one Dagon!

Looks in real good condition, I'd say it's a hoot to drive. Wouldn't worry too much about the dent on the boot, should be able to get it removed with out too much hassle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Congrats. Looks very tidy for a 94.

What is the difference in those engines btw?

p.s. Found this info. on your car for free. It's all good.

Vehicle details
    Manufacturer TOYOTA
    Model CELICA
    Body type COUPE
    Colour RED
    Fuel type PETROL
    Date manufactured 31 December 1994
    Number of previous owners 1
    Last owner change 10 June 2005

• Advertisement

Nice one.

Yeah, it's amazing to drive. Although I was actually after a 3S-GE, this car is a 3S-FE. It's still a Celica GT, but in Japan they had three GT models (SS1,2,3).

Below are some facts and figures on Gen6 imports
    SS-1 ,2.0 16V engine 3S-FE , 138 BHP
    SS-2 ,2.0 16V engine 3S-GE ,177BHP /auto 167 BHP
    SS-3 ,2.0 16V engine 3S-GE ,177BHP /auto 167 BHP
    Convertible ,2.0 16V 3S-GE engine 170 bhp /auto 167 BHP
    GT4,2.0 16V engine 3S-GTE 251 BHP.

Mine is an SS1 - good power and more economy for a 2.0ltr. But a lot of people don't realise that the JDM models come in 3 different forms. It's quite misleading because they all have the same GT spec, including rigid suspension, front strut brace, etc. Not only this, but the chassis number is ST202 as well, same as the UK Gt. In the UK you just have a 167bhp GT - full stop.

For loads more celica info:
    http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=224305&sid=75d7f29afd84a449cc520e48c962a90f
    One of the pet hates i have, is with sellers or import dealers , that don't tell you which SS model your buying other than its a 2.0, i'm sure the SS-I is worth less than an SS-II but you never see a price diffrence when advertised.
    If you know your going to look at an import ,then you can tell the diffrence between the SS models your buying buy the following....
    With the bonnet open, An SS-I will have 2.0 16V VALVE on the top of the rocker cover, and the toyota name and logo on the inlet mainfold. Second check, look at the chassis plate at the back of the engine bay, under the section MODEL it should read E-ST202-BLMGK.or if an automatic E-ST202-BLPGK.

Should have read that first eh :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

looks like a beautiful car, hope you have safe driving experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

How did VRT work out on this seeing as it was originally Jap Import into UK (fully reg'd UK) and then onto Ireland, did this make a difference or was the procedure any different to importing any originally registered UK car? Would it be cheaper to have a Jap car imported into the UK then registered and VAT payed and then imported to Ireland and paying the VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    How did VRT work out on this seeing as it was originally Jap Import into UK (fully reg'd UK) and then onto Ireland, did this make a difference or was the procedure any different to importing any originally registered UK car? Would it be cheaper to have a Jap car imported into the UK then registered and VAT payed and then imported to Ireland and paying the VRT?

I dont think it makes a difference. The VRT is worked out on the VRO's estimate of what the car is worth, regardless of what you paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Nice car. Where did you find it - in the AutoTrader ?

Thinking of doing something similar next year (or if my banger gives up the ghost in the meantime!) but with something a little more sensible. Two kids dictate that !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks in superb condition for a 12 year old car!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I import all my cars from the UK, always on the look-out even with no Cash...

Been off sick the last few days with no access to internet and this comes up.

I know, not everyone's cup of tea but I'm nutty about these old busses and this is top of the line for its year..

have'nt called as I've no cash and wife would kill me trying to import this but its good to dream !!

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=VAUXHALL&model=CAVALIER&variant=&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=6&agerange=&postcode=RG31+6RB&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=2&distance=157&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200607225402126

Fatboy.

Yeah, got it in the autotrader. But Ebay is very good also, and possibly more reliable because sellers may be worried about keeping good feedback.

VRT is around 580. Not bad, but it was cheaper than that a few weeks ago. I don't know if it's less for a UK car, as it just goes on the market value. Recently the revenue website put the value of Celicas up, it used to be about 450.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Nice car mate :D

Advertisement