Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV cap dowload and upload or not?

• 27-02-2006 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

HI,

I'dd like to know if UTV cap is download+ upload or download only because UTV don't inform you on anything assuming that there customers don't know anything and don't pay attention to those sort of things.

An official link would be helpful...

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Subc wrote:
    HI,

I'dd like to know if UTV cap is download+ upload or download only because UTV don't inform you on anything assuming that there customers don't know anything and don't pay attention to those sort of things.

An official link would be helpful...

Thanx

1. If you're already a customer, why didn't you ask????
    2. If you're contemplating joining them, why don't you ask????

A quick search revealed the following:

http://u.tv/support/ans.asp?id=448&category=broadband&region=ie

So, they do inform you if you wish to look.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Delphi91,
    The information in that link is so far out of date that it's pointless to mention it. Those FAQ's haven't been updated since I started with UTV over 2 years ago (I'm not with them any longer thank god). Even the caps mentioned there have changed since. It's obvious from his post that he's already a customer and it's all well and good telling him to contact them but I doubt he wants to spend an hour or 2 on the phone or a couple of weeks waiting for a reply to an email.
    Subc,
    To my knowledge there hasn't been anything official from UTV and I doubt there will be. There wasn't anything official from them when they decided to include upload in the cap either, they just cut off their customers.
    The closest thing to official you'll get is this quote from Carl (the UTV rep) on the UTV newsgroup on the 17/02:
    Today the cap was changed from usage back to download only. I
    haven't been given any official announcement about this, but it's my
    team that look after the capping mechanism.

I'm hoping to get something official come Monday. I know the customers
    who were cut off for over-usage have been re-enabled, and all the folk
    who received warnings will need to be contacted.

IIRC there was no actual announcement about us changing the caps to
    usage in the first place, and the same may happen again. :/ Even so,
    I'm pretty sure that the amount of customer complaints generated over
    this issue is what directly forced the reversal. Roll on the next
    gripe. smile.gif

Carl.
    I really don't know why people stay with them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kaizersoze wrote:
    Delphi91,
    The information in that link is so far out of date that it's pointless to mention it. Those FAQ's haven't been updated since I started with UTV over 2 years ago (I'm not with them any longer thank god). Even the caps mentioned there have changed since. It's obvious from his post that he's already a customer and it's all well and good telling him to contact them but I doubt he wants to spend an hour or 2 on the phone or a couple of weeks waiting for a reply to an email.
    Subc,
    To my knowledge there hasn't been anything official from UTV and I doubt there will be. There wasn't anything official from them when they decided to include upload in the cap either, they just cut off their customers.
    The closest thing to official you'll get is this quote from Carl (the UTV rep) on the UTV newsgroup on the 17/02:

I really don't know why people stay with them.

I dont envy Carl - I dont know what UTV would have done without him for the past few years:rolleyes: His post certainly makes grim reading:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dub45 wrote:
    I dont envy Carl - I dont know what UTV would have done without him for the past few years:rolleyes: His post certainly makes grim reading:eek:
    Yeah, he's a real one-man-band alright. I don't know how he does it. Only for him I would have left UTV 5 or 6 months earlier.
    I used to laugh when a new rep would post there, full of enthusiasm, to be greeted with a tirade of complaints then dissapear never to be heard from again:) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

the thing is my option is set to being charged when i go over the limit.

And I went over for like 200 euros!!!

But will they charge? assuming that they enabled peoples dsl again for those who choose the other option, why should i be charged?

+ with the old 16gig cap when i reached 13 gigs they would send an e-mail saying i was getting close to my limit, this time i never received anything...

An official word would be great

Thanx

edit: 1rst of march cap bak at 0 right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Subc wrote:
    the thing is my option is set to being charged when i go over the limit.

And I went over for like 200 euros!!!

why dont u run with another provider, u wont beat esat bt or alternatively smart are great for heavy users

is there any more news on this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Subc wrote:
    is there any more news on this?

Have you tried asking UTV themselves? how can anyone here know what UTV will do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

lomb wrote:
    why dont u run with another provider, u wont beat esat bt or alternatively smart are great for heavy users

Or just pay the 6 quid and go unlimited and save yourself 194 quid a month.

I'm not wasting my time to write an e-mail to somebody who works for the company but knows absolutley nothing = no response to the e-mail

Mabey somebody here knows the answer to my question and no i'm not paying 6 extra again for no reason. UTV needs to be clear in what there selling, if they don't keep there customers informed then people leave, which is happening.

the answer you might give me is : leave then

That doesn't resolve anything though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Its download only

Advertisement