Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My new wheels...

Options
  • 27-02-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

19022006.jpg
    :)

E.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Well wear Mayhem - what year? (or is it's new?).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Uk import?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Litcagral wrote:
    Well wear Mayhem - what year? (or is it's new?).

Brand spanking new mate!
    ;)

E.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Uk import?

No, bought it from Stuarts Landrover in Tallaght.
    Can highly recommend them!

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I love those jeeps. The only "real" ones left as far as I am concerned!

L.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Nice, how about some more pics.

Also fuel tank capaticty/mpg and tax details.

That is a jeep.

Chief--- wrote:
    Nice, how about some more pics.

Also fuel tank capaticty/mpg and tax details.

That is a jeep.

Tank holds 70 ltrs. approx.
    Haven't calculated the milage but don 't really care tbh.
    If I was concerned about the milage I would drive a Micra...
    Will put some more pics up when I get time to take them.
    It drives like a dream, kinda "old fashioned" in a certain way and it is a very hands-on driving experience.
    It seems to have a serious "**** off" factor by the way...

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone has one in Limerick its always parked at the Dorradoyle shopping centre, looks mighty impressive like it should be in the jungle!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Beautiful, I have to admit to being more than a little envious, but fair play. Must save harder for that G500 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm jealous, I can imagine my boat being towed along behind that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mayhem# wrote:
    Brand spanking new mate!

If I didn't know better, I would have sworn it was a well kept classic - maybe about 60 years old with some new high profile alloys fitted back in the 70s?
    mike65 wrote:
    looks mighty impressive like it should be in the jungle!

From the pics and the OP's location, I reckon it is in the jungle

Only messin' ;)

When I was in the army a long time ago, they were being replaced by very reliable but incompetent (for army use) Mercedes-Benz G-class vehicles. At least with the LaRo (that was the official nick) everyone knew where they stood

Out of interest, what do you use it for? Which cars did you consider buying? Did you consider a similar priced Toyota Landcruiser?

mike65 wrote:
    Someone has one in Limerick its always parked at the Dorradoyle shopping centre, looks mighty impressive like it should be in the jungle!

Mike.

Seen that one only a few weeks ago.
    It's a 1977 reg if I'm not mistaken...

E.

unkel wrote:
    If I didn't know better, I would have sworn it was a well kept classic - maybe about 60 years old with some new high profile alloys fitted back in the 70s?

Thanks, I was trying to go for the "classic look...

From the pics and the OP's location, I reckon it is in the jungle

It's county Tip, not far from it..
    Out of interest, what do you use it for? Which cars did you consider buying? Did you consider a similar priced Toyota Landcruiser?

No, would not buy a jap unless someone else is paying.
    The choice was between this and a Chevy Suburban. The Suburban proved almost impossible to get in Ireland hence the choice for the Landy...

E.

mayhem# wrote:
    would not buy a jap unless someone else is paying

Intriguing twist. I'd have thought most people getting a serious off-roader would have said the opposite, as in "can't care less how much it costs to buy, repair, depreciate 'cause someone else is paying". Paying for it themselves they'd typically resort to something like a Landcruiser, I'd have guessed

The LaRos in my days, BTW, were very competent off-road. They also broke down pretty much on a daily basis, but then they were cheap (almost free) and easy to repair using drafted servicemen who were being paid just above dole level.

I guess you are well able to maintain and repair your new motor yourself? I also guess you need it to do some very serious off-road work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    Paying for it themselves they'd typically resort to something like a Landcruiser, I'd have guessed

The Landcruiser is definately the machine of choice amoung builders and farmers nowadays. I presume it is far nicer to drive and is certainly a nicer place to be than the old landy. Probably every bit as good off road too.

The defender beats the landcruiser senseless when it comes to looks, and I presume they dont break down as much nowadays with Ford in charge.

Personally I prefer the Defender 90 to the lwb one. Pity they never built a 100" version, it would have been a lovely compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

Your side windows look seriously illegal. I've seen tinted windows alright, but jesus H they look painted with Mat black paint!!!

I'd seriously have them taken off for some lighter smoke tints if thats what your inta'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

unkel wrote:
    When I was in the army a long time ago, they were being replaced by very reliable but incompetent (for army use) Mercedes-Benz G-class vehicles. At least with the LaRo (that was the official nick) everyone knew where they stood

I would have to disagree on the G-Wagon. I think they are great and hope to own one in the future as a classic. Funny but i was watching a news special on straws visit to Iraq last week and the vehicle he was travelling around in was a G-Wagon. I would have more faith in the Merc getting me from A to B than any landrover.

img588_280.jpg

Progen wrote:
    Your side windows look seriously illegal. I've seen tinted windows alright, but jesus H they look painted with Mat black paint!!!

I'd seriously have them taken off for some lighter smoke tints if thats what your inta'

They're not as bad as they look.

E.

I would have to disagree on the G-Wagon

What do you disagree about?
    I would have more faith in the Merc getting me from A to B than any landrove

Went I said reliable, I meant that the G is a much more reliable vehicle in mechanical terms in my experience. It loses hands down in extreme off-road abilities though compared to the LaRo, e.g. it gets stuck in deep mud quicker amongst other things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For a few years the G Wagon held the world record for slowest 0-60.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    For a few years the G Wagon held the world record for slowest 0-60.

Any linky? The '79 two ton 240GD has Peugeot diesel of just 72BHP. Acceleration must have been >30s

A similar aged and size LaRo series III diesel has 62BHP but is a bit lighter. A straight line race between the two would have been a tad boring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

unkel wrote:
    Any linky? The '79 two ton 240GD has Peugeot diesel of just 72BHP. Acceleration must have been >30s

A similar aged and size LaRo series III diesel has 62BHP but is a bit lighter. A straight line race between the two would have been a tad boring :D

At least you'd have time to take a piss or something waiting for them to reach wallking pace.

That's a sweet looking Defender, how much would one of them set you back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Nice landy Mayhem. The 300TDi will give you around 24mpg urban and up around 34mpg on longer runs - Less of course with the expedition rack!

I'm going to replace my full bull-bars in a few weeks time when I get around to mounting my new custom winch bumper and Superwinch and the A-Bar that's off being powdercoated now. If you want it, it's yours - Just the cost of a trip to Dublin to pick it up. It could do with a respray but it's not at all bad and would polish off the front nicely - Think they're around €150 or thereabouts so you'll be able to fill up twice instead! Oh yeah, where are the spots and snorkel, huh?

attachment.php?attachmentid=21390&d=1135950619

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Squirrel wrote:
    At least you'd have time to take a piss or something waiting for them to reach wallking pace.

That's a sweet looking Defender, how much would one of them set you back?

45K iirc.

Lovely jeep, I remember watching a Top Gear episode a while ago. They set up a test course and the Defender was the only jeep that could finish it. They also had Range Rovers, Porsches, and an X5 I think.

Your jeep really is in a different class!

45K iirc.

Lovely jeep, I remember watching a Top Gear episode a while ago. They set up a test course and the Defender was the only jeep that could finish it. They also had Range Rovers, Porsches, and an X5 I think.

It is in a different class. The X5, Range Rover and Porsche are designed for limited occasional off road use. while the Defender is at home in fields, and can't cut it on the road.

45K iirc.

Just a tad over more actually but that does include 9 seats and full leather upholstry...

E.

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Nice landy Mayhem. The 300TDi will give you around 24mpg urban and up around 34mpg on longer runs - Less of course with the expedition rack!

I'm going to replace my full bull-bars in a few weeks time when I get around to mounting my new custom winch bumper and Superwinch and the A-Bar that's off being powdercoated now. If you want it, it's yours - Just the cost of a trip to Dublin to pick it up. It could do with a respray but it's not at all bad and would polish off the front nicely - Think they're around €150 or thereabouts so you'll be able to fill up twice instead! Oh yeah, where are the spots and snorkel, huh?

attachment.php?attachmentid=21390&d=1135950619

Hell yeah!
    I'll take it.
    Just let me know where and when...

Snorkel is in the planning (hope to fit it myself)
    I've thought about spots but have decided to look for a "lightbar" to fit across the top.
    It would look just that little bit more sleek...

E.

colm_mcm wrote:
    while the Defender is at home in fields, and can't cut it on the road.
    You obviously haven't driven a newer Defender on the road?

E.

I've driven a Defender 90. compare it to a Land Cruiser....

The Discovery is Land Rovers serious On and Off roader, while the Defender is an antique which despite everything, still finds homes. I would find it very difficult to part with 50 odd grand. considering the fairly dodgy safety standards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

mayhem# wrote:
    You obviously haven't driven a newer Defender on the road?

E.

I'll agree with you there Mayhem. The new Defenders are lightnyears ahead of what my old SIII will do on a motor-way (Although it cruises at 60 - albeit noisy as hell!). I occasionally drive a 110 with the 300TDi block which will comfortably cruise at 65 and easily accelerates to 75+ when required. Braking is excellent (vented and grooved disks all round) and with anti-rollbars fitted to ALL Defenders now they can even corner well at higher speeds than you'd dare attempt in something like the SIII or early D90/110.

Then again, prices are ridiculously high now for these workhorses in anything other than very basic specification. I'd considered buying myself a new one but the limited requirement for off-roading and the buying price put me off. I'll wait until second-hand prices for the 300TDi start falling when the TDV6 or whatever it's going to be are dropped into the D range later this year or early 2007.

Drop me a PM with your mobile number and I'll give you a bell about the bullbars. I'll soon forget this thread!

Cheers,

Gil

Advertisement