Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grrrrrr how does the GPA work?

Options
  • 27-02-2006 10:37pm

I've tried calculating my own so I know what to aim for this semester to get a Distinction, but I can't get the answers right! How does it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

It's kind of hard to explain. Depends on what you study etc? Best bet is to head over to the SU and talk to a guy named Tommy Kenny. He'll help you work it out.

If you don't want to do that, the rough guide is this.

Each subject you do has a credit value assigned to it. eg Information Systems = 5 Credits. In general, you divide 30 by the number of subjects you do, but this is not always the case.

Each grade then has a point value. These are -

* A (4.0) - Passing Grade
    * B+ (3.5) - Passing Grade
    * B (3.0) - Passing Grade
    * B- (2.75) - Passing Grade
    * C+ (2.5) - Passing Grade
    * C (2.0) - Passing Grade
    * D (1.5) - Compensate Fail
    * F (0) - Fail

So, what you do then is multiply the Credit Value by the Grade Point and you get a number. Do this with all your subjects, then divide by the total number of credits (usually 30). You should get a number between 0 and 4. This is your GPA.

So, for example, lets assume a six subject course, where all the Credit Values are 5 and you got all B's.

2.75 X 5 = 13.75

Since you have the same credits and grades, just multiply that number by 6.

13.75 X 6 = 82.5

Then divide by the total number of credits, in this case 30.

82.5 / 30 = 2.75

I know that's longwinded and probably only makes sense to me, but it's the only way I can explain it. If you need any more help, just PM me or leave another message here.

I made a small excel sheet for this a while ago. A module will have an amount of credits associated with it, so you need to type them in as well as your grade and the sheet will pop out your gpa.

Gpa calc

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

jesus lads its not rocket science, just download the bookle off the tala it site which will tell you the different scores applicable to each grade.

Add them up and divide by the number of subjects you do.
    = or >3.25: Distinction aka a First, aka 1.1
    = or >3.00: Merit 1 aka 2.1
    = or >2.75: Merit 2 aka 2.2
    = or >2.00: Pass

Its that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's not that easy, the subjects are weighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cyrus the virus

Giblet wrote:
    It's not that easy, the subjects are weighted.
    You can find it in the course hand book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

yeah, some subjects are weighed so you will have to work to different proportions.
    However if its the same amount of credits for all subjects its simple.
    Add up all your grades then divide by the number of subjects.

Advertisement