Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chances of Jury Service in Dublin v Rural Areas?

Options
  • 27-02-2006 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct section for this question...

Does every adult in Ireland have an equal chance of being chosen for jury service, or do people in Dublin have a greater chance of being chosen compared to those who live in rural areas such as Donegal, Leitrim & Mayo? :confused:

Just wondered...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

depends on business :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

zoe wrote:
    Not sure if this is the correct section for this question...

Does every adult in Ireland have an equal chance of being chosen for jury service, or do people in Dublin have a greater chance of being chosen compared to those who live in rural areas such as Donegal, Leitrim & Mayo? :confused:

Just wondered...
    The answer is yes. A dub has a much higher chance of getting called in due to the large number of Jury courts in the capital. Circuit courts both criminal and civil. High court for Libel trials. Central criminal courts, for all the murders and very serious stuff from all over Ireland. And finally Coroners courts.

Down in the sticks its just Circuit Criminal courts and coroners courts.

Note only Irish citizens may be called for jury service. Its the main reason my English wife won't get naturalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Bond-007 wrote:
    Note only Irish citizens may be called for jury service. Its the main reason my English wife won't get naturalised.
    What if you were born in Northern Ireland? Maybe it depends on whether you own an Irish passport or a British one...

Nope depends on how you are registered on the electoral register. This is where they get the jurors from. You can simply declare yourself British and be entered as a "D" on the register and never get called.

Really?

I wonder what would happen if you called yourself Northern Irish?

I know when registering on the electoral register in NI you are permitted to describe yourself as Northern Irish (or Irish or British)...
    Bond-007 wrote:
    Nope depends on how you are registered on the electoral register. This is where they get the jurors from. You can simply declare yourself British and be entered as a "D" on the register and never get called.

Would you be entered as a "D" if you described yourself as Northern Irish?

• Advertisement

Not if you are Irish as all Northern Irish are . You are no more exempt than we Western Irish would be .

You will need to go British so! :)

Bond-007 wrote:
    You will need to go British so! :)

Buts its in the blood already , there is no legal procedure to un-Irish herself as such.

If she is a D (stands for ???? defective ???? ) on the Electoral Register then she will not be entitled to pensions and prsi rebates and stuff , and all because she wont spend a morning in court once every 10 years or so looking sour (and hungover) to get off the oul jury duty which is what I do .

She could always try to go offshore like Panama or somewhere but this thread strikes me as excessive TBH :p

Are you not entitled to pensions in Ireland if you are British?

Rubbish, You entitled to same pensions etc.

The "D" stands for Dail. IE british citizens may vote in all Dail, European and Local authourity elections. They may not vote in elections for the president or referenda.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    Rubbish, You entitled to same pensions etc.
    What about PRSI rebates?

zoe wrote:
    What about PRSI rebates?
    That as well

Oh right...

Most people I know here in Northern Ireland have British passports, including myself, and I'm from a Catholic background. I suppose it's probably because it's easier to obtain one because the British passport office is in Belfast whereas there's no passport office in Belfast where you can get an Irish passport, though I heard in the past that they were thinking about establishing an Irish passport office here...

As it happens I might be moving to the Republic to live, so if I do there doesn't seem to be any disadvantage in my just calling myself British...apart from not being able to vote in referendum...

Excatly, thats the only real difference.

Advertisement