Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

irish1 wrote:
    We had a very quick flurry in Maynooth giving a few grains on cars.

Earthman I'm heading for the Wicklow mountains tomorrow with my cam, any recomendations on where to get the deepest snow?
    Just head to the Glen of Imaal and climb Lug.
    I can see it from here in the day time and its so white you'd swear they used Daz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cool that was my plan, I'll post pics tomorrow evening hopefully, now how do I get to the glen of Imaal again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

18z shows precip on east coast tomorrow evening (allbeit light).:)

18z has brought the breakdown forward!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

irish1 wrote:
    18z has brought the breakdown forward!

Is that good or bad?
    :confused:

• Advertisement

Bad, it means the temps will start rising Monday, but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the cold weather for March, we may see a rise in temps for a few days then a return to a cold Northernly.

But thats pure guess work at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tomorrow afternoon and evening looks like fun here on the east coast, suprised WC isn't jumping up and down yet :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Not too sure bout that..

Anyway onto something im watching... Unfortunately just as things
    had brerwed up perfectly.. the wind looks like its going to scupper our chances:rolleyes:

Anyway i really think some heavy snow into NI around 4am..

Banding and Comma low development across NW SCOT are swinging
    south and east but the low approaching from the atlantic might buffer
    this into the Atlantic before it pushes into ireland!

http://www.west-cheshire.ac.uk/weather/d2b.asp

Well I'll tell ya,the Irish sea was busy this evening and said showers have been causing problems in west wales tonight.I could see mighty anvils and towers of clouds out there but they never quite made it to the coast in the NW wind.
    Slight NNE wind tomorrow I hear you say??
    Bring it on :D

Currently -1c here with a DP of -3.5c

Wet bulb is -1.7c

Irish1 I got your pm,I dunno how much snow is on Lug, but its been on it over a week now and it looks very white, itsabout 20 miles north of me but well inland-probably 20 miles also.
    It would not be the place to be caught in a heavy snow shower-very dangerous :eek:

Yea a few people reckon I'm mad to be heading up there, but if a snow shower comes I'll just wait it out, doubt I'll reach the top tbh.

• Advertisement

Not too sure bout that..

Anyway onto something im watching... Unfortunately just as things
    had brerwed up perfectly.. the wind looks like its going to scupper our chances:rolleyes:

Anyway i really think some heavy snow into NI around 4am..

Banding and Comma low development across NW SCOT are swinging
    south and east but the low approaching from the atlantic might buffer
    this into the Atlantic before it pushes into ireland!

http://www.west-cheshire.ac.uk/weather/d2b.asp

could we be lucky enough to get any of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just watching the rainfall radar here:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/radar/index.html

I see a lot of showers coming into view and forming off the North west/west coast of Scotland, are those the ones you are talking about WC? How far do you think they'd go or would they fizle out over the North?

I might get a shower tonight........maybe :rolleyes:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Pity that low going across the Celtic Sea on Friday did not have more of a northerly track... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ahhh typical.. chances of snow in Dublin over coiming days is about 10%

roll on spring.. were going to be stuck with 4 dry cold days first though:mad:

Met Eireann dont seem to think so:

"Continuing very cold today, with some good sunshine, but showers also of hail, sleet and snow; these showers heaviest and most frequent over Ulster and western parts of Connacht and Munster. Further wintry showers are expected tonight, with snow tending to accumulate in many areas. Widespread severe frost also, with some dangerous road conditions. Cold again tomorrow, with the risk of snow showers spreading to east and southeastern coastal districts."

"Tomorrow
    Little change tomorrow, except that showers of sleet and snow will become increasingly likely near the east and southeast coast as winds turn onshore. Still very cold, but with good sunshine by day."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It's very overcast this morning (North Dub), for a change.

Getting very dark here now with some watery looking clouds in the sky ;)

Later today and certainly through tomorrow, yeah there could be a wind off the Irish sea which should bring a few showers onto the East coast

It's cloudy here this morning with a current temp of 0.7c after an overnight low of -2c at 4am

The latest UKMO fax charts are very interesting over the coming days

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0a.html Thats friday with an Irish sea low plus a trough... with straight Northerlies, it might brush the East coast.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2.html

And theres a Cold front coming down from the north which should in theory bring persistant snow for a time with it.
    It may bring little or nothing to some,but its important characteristic is that it brings behind it an even colder blast of polar air :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No snow and cloudless morning here but coldest night for a long time -5.7

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

According to the GFS winds should go easterly for a time later today:)

A peppering of showers, (some would be heavy) on the east coast tonight?:rolleyes:

Rtavn184.png

Makes you think if we could just get one or two of those monsters effecting Wales we would wake up to a covering on Friday.

Rtavn128.png

I see MetCheck have just put the east, south east and south coast into the 'Low risk' category, so much confusion :rolleyes: .

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

Lets hope we get some good east winds and a few showers too this evening/night!

I see MetCheck have just put the east, south east and south coast into the 'Low risk' category, so much confusion :rolleyes: .

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

Lets hope we get some good east winds and a few showers too this evening/night!

Well the wind will be easterly by 1800 so we shall see;)

We SHOULD be seeing the cloud beginning to roll in at that stage. Now wether or not the precip will be there is another question. It might or it might not however there is good shower development happening in the Irish sea now. Imagine the Anvil tops coming toward us:eek: :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very different day here, dank, dismell, they look like rain clouds but its just so cold.. oh please god let it snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The sky has cleared up enormously here (N. Dub) in the past hour, blue-sky and winter sunshine now.

Hopefully that mini-easterly tonight/tomorrow comes off for us :o

Looking at net-weather would seem pretty positive for us tonight. Is it ok to post this link here -

http://www.net-weather.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=14066

That would seem to cover a lot of us :)

everything is crossed :D

Interesting developments in the far south west.

The "channel low" that our friends across the water are talking about is approaching.
    The precip from it is very close to the SW and south coast on the radar at the moment.

Valentia at 11am reported 2c and cloudy.
    There is every chance of some persistant snow down there.

Nice looking showers I can see in the Irish sea. Dare I say they are a tad closer then yesterday. Looks like an interesting evening ahead:D

• Advertisement

By the way,looking south from here I can see the edge of the high cloud from that frontal system.

Also met.ie dont publish DP's from land based Weather stations, but doing the maths,Valentia's looks below zero :)

I'm not expecting this to head up to the rest of us, but it does in my opinion have implications.
    Advancing frontal overhanging cloud dries out shower precip usually.
    So if it goes too far north without actually affecting anyone bar the extreme south, then shower activity in the Irish sea will be reduced ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement