Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

The MetO radar is showing an organised band of showers progressing NE-SW over Scotland at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the snow showers are dying away from the northwestern coasts, cloud & snow approaching the very tip of Kerry and the showers over wales and mid-irish sea starting to track back westwards towards dublin:) hopefully please let this work out....

Met Eireann's snow warnings for the east coast doesnt seem to be there, did they take it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Its looking really dark south of here right now. Is it coming our way?

possibly,it wants to track west east more so than north as it is coming up against the north south flow.

No mention of it at all in the 1255 met forecast on RTE radio one just now and no mention at all of showers in the East tomorrow ...

LoL the Air temperature at the M2 buoy in the Irish sea at noon was 1.1c

That is the lowest I've ever seen it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

But the further north it comes the mor elikelyhood of an easterly
    wind.. Currently glorious sunshine here... feels bitter though even walking
    in the sun..

If the wind can even pick up a 10knot easterly we could be in business
    but alas i think not.. But i do hope cause theres a nice few showers out
    there trying to stretch across:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

It is a nice day here in Navan. But it was cold. No sign of any snow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Earthman wrote:
    No mention of it at all in the 1255 met forecast on RTE radio one just now and no mention at all of showers in the East tomorrow ...

It's a bit confusing. Maybe they're not sure how things will pan out. For tonight they say
    Scattered hail and snow showers will continue, most frequent in the North and Northwest but all coastal areas are at risk of a few wintry showers.

For tomorrow they mention showers being most frequent on northern coasts, but accompany that with this chart:

nat-tomorrow.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

doubt were gonna see anything the showers have almost dissappeared around Ireland, the showers in The Irish Sea are gone and headed into the Central & Southeast of the UK, only precipitation near us is the advancing rainfront far to our southwest- the dissapointment of this nonevent has long sunkin in at this stage and dont really care now what happens,

Confidence is growing on a trough/ Polar low forming later tomorrow..

I sigh a sigh of relief:rolleyes: :D

It looks likely that from 1600hrs tomorrow a trough will push into the northeast
    and move down the Irish sea

Early estimates are that In eastern Leinster 2-5cm's of snow could fall
    tomorrow evening so a few inches could be on the ground!

At last something to look forward to! and it all happens when the winds swing easterly for like 12 hrs!:o :D

• Advertisement

The probably most respected and expert poster on UKMO

a member called Paul Blight posts this today at 2pm
    Source Region lies to the North of Scotland in and to the west of the Northern Isles. Broad area of Deep convection already has some comma's and the source region lies ahead of some ascent and vorticity advection . UK Meso is keen to take this area into Scotland later today and down into N Ireland and the Irish Sea during tomorrow and brings heavy snow a fair way inland. This development could easily organise into a Polar Low at any time. Confidence is not high but needs watching...

gfs+30

:D

Just to let you know that this fella NEVER NEVER overhypes anything..

He is the most level-headed and respected forecaster i know on any forum..
    Im nearly sure he has a MET degree too

Confidence is growing on a trough/ Polar low forming later tomorrow..

I sigh a sigh of relief:rolleyes: :D

It looks likely that from 1600hrs tomorrow a trough will push into the northeast
    and move down the Irish sea

Early estimates are that In eastern Leinster 2-5cm's of snow could fall
    tomorrow evening so a few inches could be on the ground!

At last something to look forward to! and it all happens when the winds swing easterly for like 12 hrs!:o :D

So what would the chances of Navan seeing a bit of snow tomorrow. It would be something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Sounds very interesting WC, thats something to look forward to anyway ;) .

On another note, the sun is blasting down here in Carlow town, the odd puffy cloud passing on by, but apart from that a grand spring like day and a bit of warmth in the sun too when the wind stops :)

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/fax/PPVE89.TIF

Comma pushing into NI and heading into the Irish sea:eek: :D:D

Sounds very interesting WC, thats something to look forward to anyway ;) .

On another note, the sun is blasting down here in Carlow town, the odd puffy cloud passing on by, but apart from that a grand spring like day and a bit of warmth in the sun too when the wind stops :)

I kno! shocking that its only 2c out there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

WC I dont really agree. Showers for the NI yes, but Dublin I reckon is doubtful (I could be wrong). I cant say wether the wind is off the Irish sea tomorrow afternoon:rolleyes:

darkman2 wrote:
    WC I dont really agree. Showers for the NI yes, but Dublin I reckon is doubtful (I could be wrong). I cant say wether the wind is off the Irish sea tomorrow afternoon:rolleyes:

I dont care:p :D:D:D:D;)

Really i think we have a good chance with this.. if nothing else just increased
    activity of shower that will push on shore..

Tomorrow avo is our best chance and i feel it will deliver :D :eek: :v:

Maybe im missing something, I havnt been checking the charts. Could you just run through the possible sequence of events? Cheers:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I can confirm that its less than 2c :D

summary.gif

I hope you are right. You are a ledgend.

Im on the coast and clouds are starting to make inroads off the Irish sea:)

http://www.west-cheshire.ac.uk/weather/d2b.asp

Its coming ...

At this stage its just a comma.. but theres all the right ingreients to turn
    it into a PL.. if so it will steer down the North Channel later tonight.

Certainly NI will probably getting hammered later tonight..

Meanwhile the low to our south pushes in but will push back south soon..

Could be some light snow across southern counties but may be too mild..

Its watch the satellite through tonight and i'll be doing 2 hour sleep shifts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

A very thin layer of cloud starting to come over here now, there goes the sun :rolleyes: . Wish it would either stay sunny OR snow! lol

The wind is now Easterly and any showers in the Irish sea will push onto the East coast.:D

Weathercheck that looks great BUT the wind is northerly for us. That will have implications for Wales but do you really see snow showers effecting us?

I'd say Eastern Ireland have a gret chance of seeing some prlonged snow tomorrow:D

Winters last stint.. Is it going to come off?:v:

• Advertisement

By the way if you look at the report from my Davis above the wind direction has changed to North northeast

It's currently north east

Ok only 3mph but its better than northwest :D

The only real shower activity at the moment is west od Holy head and should in theory be moving south westwards.
    Pressure is low but the wind flow is realistically variable and slack.

Cant really comment on what WC is excited about,I'm not about to snow on anyones parade.
    I'll help by saying the general flow is north south.

Temp still dropping 1.5c now and its still daylight-thats positive and its mostly cloudy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement