Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

darkman2 wrote:
    Weathercheck that looks great BUT the wind is northerly for us. That will have implications for Wales but do you really see snow showers effecting us?

Its wind rotating round a PL feature darkman??:D

This is a very exciting turn of events one of the best scenarios for us
    here on the east coast.. Nobody can predict where it will go but that
    gives a rough estimate at its progression!

There very very nice charts but its up to the gods!

Earthman wrote:
    By the way if you look at the report from my Davis above the wind direction has changed to North northeast

It's currently north east

Ok only 3mph but its better than northwest :D

The only real shower activity at the moment is west od Holy head and should in theory be moving south westwards.
    Pressure is low but the wind flow is realistically variable and slack.

Cant really comment on what WC is excited about,I'm not about to snow on anyones parade.
    I'll help by saying the general flow is north south.

Temp still dropping 1.5c now and its still daylight-thats positive and its mostly cloudy.

Earthman.. its a projected polar low in the Irish sea tomorrow 12z:D !!

Anyway im RAMPING at quite a speed:v:

darkman2 wrote:
    Weathercheck that looks great BUT the wind is northerly for us. That will have implications for Wales but do you really see snow showers effecting us?
    Tend to agree.
    It has wales wrote all over it.
    However, it does put us back into Tuesdays scenario where we get some showers but enough showers? Thats a 64k question.I'd imagine not.

Well WC.
    I could be wrong but I'm old enough to have seen a few polar lows in the Irish sea that tracked close to the East coast and didnt affect wales.
    I hope I'm wrong but this one should track close to or over wales so it will have a limited effect if any on us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I know what yuor talking about WC, for instance the violent storms a couple of years back. However we were on the windward side of that. Certainly could beef up showers alright however we will have to wait and see;)

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Tend to agree.
    It has wales wrote all over it.
    However, it does put us back into Tuesdays scenario where we get some showers but enough showers? Thats a 64k question.I'd imagine not.

have faith this is my last punt of the winter and im going to send you all into touch:D

Developing PL to north of Scotland

http://www.west-cheshire.ac.uk/weather/d2a.asp

As soon as its curvature becomes clear then we can make a bet
    at where it will end up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It'd be nice if we even got just a couple of bigger showers out of it.

But more immediately, a E/NE breeze tonight? What are the chances of some activity tonight blowing in?

LookingFor wrote:
    It'd be nice if we even got just a couple of bigger showers out of it.

But more immediately, a E/NE breeze tonight? What are the chances of some activity tonight blowing in?

With the approach of the wave from the Atlantic activity in the Irish will
    be limited until circa 3-6am;)

Makes sense, Cheers.

BTW, there's much better satellite imagery available here: http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg, as Earthman pointed out yesterday. Though I can't tell what's significant in that and what's not ;)

• Advertisement

NI metoffice mentions 'an increasing risk of more prolonged snow showers pushing south tomorrow'

darkman2 wrote:
    NI metoffice mentions 'an increasing risk of more prolonged snow showers pushing south tomorrow'

Echos Met Eireann a bit, just saw this now:

"Heavy wintry showers spreading Southwards to many parts tomorrow - falls of snow possible, mainly in the North and Northwest. "

And for Dublin:

"Very cold. Frost and fog largely clearing. But wintry showers pushing down gradually from the North"

Well GFS pushes for 4-6mm of precip along the east coast tomorrow
    Which would lead to 6-8cm's of snow.. this is with the 0.5 grid;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

So the east coast could be in with a chance, will these showers (if they come) reach inland (ie me in Carlow :D ) or are they likely to be confined to the coast?

Really depends but i would have to say your less likely to get as much
    as the east.. But in these siutuations its very hit and miss!

Cheers WC, I understand, ah well.......I've been let down before, one more time wont hurt :rolleyes:

Really depends but i would have to say your less likely to get as much
    as the east.. But in these siutuations its very hit and miss!

If the East gets something. It could come off. Another method would be for showers to simply push south from NI in a very prolonged form. It would be weakened tough by the time it reached us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

We had a very cold morning down here, -3.5 at 7.00 am, and there was a very thick fog hovering over Tralee and surrounding areas,Although once it only extended as far as the start of the Dingle peninsula.
    The view back to Brandon mountain was impressive.. there was a huge amount of snow dumped on both the eastern and western flanks, in actual fact Mount Eagle (most westerly summit in Ireland) was covered from top to bottom...

Carrauntuohil and surrounding peaks stretching all the way down to Glenbeigh all had a lot of snow cover. Unfortunately all low lying snow has melted, although i wonder what are the chances that this system to the south west has for dumping a few cm's .??

Go the EAGLE:D :D:D:D:D:D

Go the EAGLE:D :D:D:D:D:D

WHAT!? WHAT!? WHAT DID I MISS!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

G'wan the eagle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What did the eagle say??

Was it the greatest forcast of the winter?:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Dry everywhere in the morning and snow pushing down south later in the day. He said only the northern HALF of the country is likely to be affected. No mention of how much or how long, somewhat vague. Did have a dark cloud / snow symbol over the Dublin area :) I'm sure other areas too

Mentioned prologned and heavy snow showers heading south but not reaching
    the "far south".. Symbols of heavy snow showers over the top 2/3's of the
    country...

Actually this winter it is the best forecast:eek: :D:o

Please tell me he is refering to the south coast:eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yeah the Eagle's the man.. like a big crazy snowball rising up from the sea, man .. ;)

Mentioned prologned and heavy snow showers heading south but not reaching the "far south".. Symbols of heavy snow showers over the top 2/3's of the country...

Actually this winter it is the best forecast:eek: :D:o

Did he say prolonged? I don't recall that. Not even the "heavy" bit. Though the charts were using the "dark cloud" shower pictures.

From Met Eireann website for tomorrow:

"Heavy wintry showers spreading Southwards to many parts tomorrow - falls of snow possible, mainly in the North and Northwest."

"Tomorrow
    Heavy hail or snow showers in places tomorrow - mainly in Ulster and North Connacht at first, but becoming more widespread later."

• Advertisement

I've had a look at the latest fax charts and sat pics and all I can say is Oh my God...

The great white polar army is approaching with three infantry divisions and a Battalion of low pressure :eek:

And is that a low pressure near the east coast in my pocket or is the snow just glad to see me :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement