Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Earthman wrote:
    I've had a look at the latest fax charts and sat pics and all I can say is Oh my God...

The great white polar army is approaching with three infantry divisions and a Battalion of low pressure :eek:

And is that a low pressure near the east coast in my pocket or is the snow just glad to see me :D

Not only that Earthman a little bit of new activity in the Irish sea now and wait for it.......................pushing east. Might get a flurry later:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Earthman wrote:
    I've had a look at the latest fax charts and sat pics and all I can say is Oh my God...

The great white polar army is approaching with three infantry divisions and a Battalion of low pressure :eek:

And is that a low pressure near the east coast in my pocket or is the snow just glad to see me :D

what areas do you think are most likely to be affected if this scenario comes off earthman?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Can you put that in layman terms Earthman (if only for me who knows little about weather :) ) ie, what does that mean for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Earthman wrote:

RAMP AHEAD:D

i'll be up through the night checking the sat pics.. there plenty of time
    for a cock up but everything is moving sweetly!

Guess what.........a couple of models are progging an Easterly next week:D ECM/GEM. hahahahaha

• Advertisement

At 3 am it would appear to be on its way:D

CLVIS15.JPG

Look at the low tracking down the irish sea on the animation at the bottom left:eek:

http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/dt/

http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/nmm22/PCP0333.PNG

The liklyhood grows of a polar low to move into the Irish sea tomorrow:D :D

Dont go by specifics of charts as in there nature they cant predict what
    a polar low is going to do!

Basically it looks like a band of snow pushing south and then a wrap round
    of the PL into the Northeast of Leinster towards nightfall:D

Could be one of those spectacular days that us boarders will look back to
    in yrs to come:D :eek:

All aboard the ramp:D

PCP0330.PNG

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Me likes the look us this.

Can you put that in layman terms Earthman (if only for me who knows little about weather :) ) ie, what does that mean for us?
    Basically,I would advise that you do not post any pictures of mechanically propelled snow vehicles as this has been proved to scare the snow away...
    Please do not do so.

It's been an exceptionally cold day here for march.
    Though the temp maxxed at around 5c,it did so very briefly.
    It's managed to go below zero here despite cloud cover (currently -0.8)

It certainly looks like snow.

And Croppyboy I would not rule out snow for you.I just cant say,its a now cast thing,but I'd say yes and possibly lots.
    It all depends on where the showers go.

As for an Easterly next week, that would probably give us on the East coast what Wales got this week.Theres plenty of cold to the East now since the northerly started to support that.
    The Brecon beacons and even lower parts of North and west wales got 6 to 8 inches in the last 24 to 48 hours.I've seen it on the BBC wales news.
    Even people were walking over the menai straits bridge from Anglese because cars couldnt cross it with hard packed snow and ice.
    Now I know that bridge well, I've crossed it many times, it is not on high ground and its near the coast.

To answer Takeshi Kovacs question,I simply dont know.
    I'd guess that Leinster might get a hammering and the East coast as well as Ulster.

Temp down to -1.1c now under mostly cloudy skies

http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/nmm22/PCP0333.PNG

The liklyhood grows of a polar low to move into the Irish sea tomorrow:D :D

Dont go by specifics of charts as in there nature they cant predict what
    a polar low is going to do!

Basically it looks like a band of snow pushing south and then a wrap round
    of the PL into the Northeast of Leinster towards nightfall:D

Could be one of those spectacular days that us boarders will look back to
    in yrs to come:D :eek:

All aboard the ramp:D

I am guessing that it will not mean much for us down the southwest ??

• Advertisement

Earthman i keep remembering Pancake Tuesday 27th FEB 2001:D :D

Best chance the east coast has had for snow since then:D

It could be very special and its alreayd nearing -2c here:eek: :D

Earthman wrote:
    Basically,I would advise that you do not post any pictures of mechanically propelled snow vehicles as this has been proved to scare the snow away...
    Please do not do so.

It's been an exceptionally cold day here for march.
    Though the temp maxxed at around 5c,it did so very briefly.
    It's managed to go below zero here despite cloud cover (currently -0.8)

It certainly looks like snow.

And Croppyboy I would not rule out snow for you.I just cant say,its a now cast thing,but I'd say yes and possibly lots.
    It all depends on where the showers go.

:v: :v: Dont worry, I'll keep the snow mobiles hidden, if we get the snow I'll bring 'em out again, :D .

Thanks for putting that in simpler terms for me, appreciated. I'm all excited now again...hehe.

:v: :v: Dont worry, I'll keep the snow mobiles hidden, if we get the snow I'll bring 'em out again, :D .

Thanks for putting that in simpler terms for me, appreciated. I'm all excited now again...hehe.
    Yep could well be a special day in the east.. we wait in hope

Currently -2c.. god i dont rememeber it ever being this cold at this time..

Going to be the coldest night of the winter for sure:D

Earthman i keep remembering Pancake Tuesday 27th FEB 2001:D :D

Best chance the east coast has had for snow since then:D

It could be very special and its alreayd nearing -2c here:eek: :D

To put it into context that chart would give us as much snow as Northern Scotland tonight:eek: Amazing simply amazing. Lets hope it dosnt fall appart:rolleyes:

abit of sitting,waiting,wishing..........:D

The wrap around tomorrow night:eek: Big problems IF it comes off:D

PCP0333.PNG

abit of sitting,waiting,wishing..........:D
    .... and envying...:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hi all,I am only came across this forum in the early hours of last night so hello all once again.I am an amateur Meterologist with over 20 years work,and all the equipment money can buy,I am what you say mad into the weather especially snow (SNOW,WHATS THAT) but we will know tomorrow for sure over here in the East.
    There is the highest chance yet that the PL will run down the Irish sea tomorrow for the first time in years giving significant snowfall to much of lenister,fingers crossed.
    This will be worth waiting for but remember this can change without warning and dissipate into nothing more than just cloud or flurries but i think not,looks very promising.anyway nice to get my first post here with you all,look forward to the chats with you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Please say it is coming for Navan. Is it? Please:D .

Please say it is coming for Navan. Is it? Please:D .

According to the French - it is indeed. However it depends on what we get. If its showers then hit and miss as usual. However IF its a full blown front then heavy prolonged snow for many of us. Lets hope its the latter;)

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Hi all,I am only came across this forum in the early hours of last night so hello all once again.I am an amateur Meterologist with over 20 years work,and all the equipment money can buy,I am what you say mad into the weather especially snow (SNOW,WHATS THAT) but we will know tomorrow for sure over here in the East.
    There is the highest chance yet that the PL will run down the Irish sea tomorrow for the first time in years giving significant snowfall to much of lenister,fingers crossed.
    This will be worth waiting for but remember this can change without warning and dissipate into nothing more than just cloud or flurries but i think not,looks very promising.anyway nice to get my first post here with you all,look forward to the chats with you all.

Hi Snowbie, very big welcome. Im from the North Dublin coast myself. Hope to finally see something remotely substantial tomorrow:D

Temp here at the coast -0.7C,fell to -2.3 last night,coldest i have recorded in years where i live and near the coast.

Lets hope we all get the snow tomorrow.

Wouldnt you feel sorry for that shower over the Irish sea,it doesnt seem to know whats its doing-LOL

Temp now -0.8
    Dew -3.2
    Davis console predicting snow

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Welcome Snowbie, good to hear more positive thoughts for tomorrow. I hope it waits though till I get home from work. Dont fancy the length of the M50 in snow and Friday evening traffic :eek:

Hi Darkman,its been a long time coming,this event,thought we would miss out as per usual,but it really looks promising,and notice all Met services not mentioning A POLAR LOW hmmmm!! what are they afraid of,the science is there for all to see.
    Thanks for the welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Earthman's high res satellite link has updated:

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

Does it bode well, or badly?

All this optimism makes me nervous ;):p

HI Felix,maybe the m50 will move faster in the snow. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

These things are notoriously fickle, it could be brilliant or it could be nothing at all.

Best advice is to listen to the radio on the car into work and check the internet during the daytime.

IF this hits the east coast, many people are going to have problems getting home tomorrow evening. Only big G knows for sure whats going to happen with this, its an all or nothing situation, bloody exciting though ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

darkman2 wrote:
    According to the French - it is indeed. However it depends on what we get. If its showers then hit and miss as usual. However IF its a full blown front then heavy prolonged snow for many of us. Lets hope its the latter;)

Thanks for that.

LookingFor wrote:
    Earthman's high res satellite link has updated:

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

Does it bode well, or badly?

All this optimism makes me nervous ;):p

Lookin sweet. Look at the depth of the clouds. There not showers that serious action up there. Lets hope it stays intact:)

• Advertisement

Hey Snowbie, welcome to 'The Ramp' :v: . Great posts and what a way to start off here eh, on the verge of a (possible) snow event :D .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement