Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Missed that shower by like 3 k's

My hands are numb we were playing pe absoluyteky freeezing:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

Just had another heavy hail shower and lookin out over the Irish sea another one is comin. Big dark clouds. Could be an interestin afternoon.

Wonder is Gerry Murphy loking out the window in Glasnevin??

High ground and at night like... :D

We have had a few light snow showers here too , they seem to be fringing the coast from the sea too and others coming straight down from the wicklow mts

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

All stopped now and back to a sunny afternoon :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Showers have really gotten there act together across Ireland. One particularly big one in the midlands:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

think im too far west, the sun just keep shining, altho we did have a few snow grains in the wind about half an hour ago, I could see that big shower over Dublin in the distance a while ago.

I have to drive to Portlaoise now and back to Dublin this evening, is it likely to be a troublesome journey? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Felixdhc wrote:
    I have to drive to Portlaoise now and back to Dublin this evening, is it likely to be a troublesome journey? :confused:
    Nah Motorway will be grand.

darkman2 wrote:
    Showers have really gotten there act together across Ireland. One particularly big one in the midlands:D

Oh I see that,it seems to be heading south east :D

irish1 wrote:
    Nah Motorway will be grand.

cheers, meant to go to Birr too but I might skip that bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Snowing heavily in Bray for the last 20 minutes. Big Fluffy flakes. Starting to stick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Blue sky now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i think we need a proper organised band of snow lasting afew hours if anythings to stick properly. Looks like the cold snap could last up to Wednesday March 8th judging by the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

darkman2 wrote:
    Met Eireann already wrong, typical;)

I was in Glasnevin about an hour ago, and there was a good 20-minute long heavy shower of snow there (the same everyone else is mentioning, no doubt), yet guess what they were saying on the lunchtime forecast?

Words to the effect of: "away from northern and western parts, these showers are more likely to be of sleet of hail, or maybe even rain", whilst pointing toward the east and dublin :rolleyes:

In fairness to them, though, they did issue a warning finally, "very cold, some snow showers".

While it did push south, that shower seemed to be fairly localised though - a couple of miles west in D15, my Dad told me they'd just a few flakes in the air, nothing major.

darkman2 wrote:
    I think there is a shwer heading for west dublin. Looks snowy.;)

It's clouding up here alright, I'm back in D15.

I think there is a shower heading for west dublin. Looks snowy.;)

A big looking convective type shower coming into North Dublin now:D

You should go to Met Eireann and show them how it's done :p There's a little snow in the air just now, here, hopefully it's getting started :)

once again im on the very edge of that shower, a few big flakes falling but the shower is passing to the other side of me this time so its heading towards blanchardstown area.

I'm in Leixlip and ain't see any flakes, just passing cloud.

• Advertisement

It has begun here, pretty heavy though small-ish flakes, but i can see blue sky in the distance already...

edit - it's very weird, it seems to be starting and stopping and starting again. Right now there's a little snow in the air but just north the sky is quite blue. To the north-west/west the sky is very very grey indeed..hopefully that'll move over here before it moves south.

Gonzo wrote:
    once again im on the very edge of that shower, a few big flakes falling but the shower is passing to the other side of me this time so its heading towards blanchardstown area.

There is another bigger one on the way. Ive a good view from were I am and its heading straight for Dublin.

Whilst theres a lot of showers over Ireland now and quite a few heading towards Dublin, theres not going to anything much in the way of accumilation today rather just a dusting from time to time.
    They're not big or long lasting enough and will blow away quickly.

I agree Earthman, but if only you could see this shower coming heading toward Dublin you may think differently. If we could get just one or two of these showers tonight there would be a good dusting, im sure:)

This is a beauty of a shower. Those in Dublin look out for another heavy fall of snow.

The shower I talked about 10 or 15 mins ago is probably the epitome of what Earthman was talking about. It literally blew by in a couple of minutes - there were a couple of gusts carrying a fair bit of snow, and then it just died out totally. That cloud to the west seems to have moved on, we were just brushed by it. I see more cloud to the north though, again, hopefully that'll bring something.

The earlier shower at midday was pretty substantial. It was actually pretty unbearable to be out in, for a while, the gusts were really stinging. If it happened at nighttime, I'd say there'd be a good chance of it lying.

edit - lol, there's now a lot more cloud to the east of me moving south, possibly what darkman is referring to..seems all the showers want to avoid D15 one way or another! :p

Earthman wrote:
    Whilst theres a lot of showers over Ireland now and quite a few heading towards Dublin, theres not going to anything much in the way of accumilation today rather just a dusting from time to time.
    They're not big or long lasting enough and will blow away quickly.
    What do you think is in store for Tomorrow Earthman?

A few big ones on this
    One I can see and almost touch off the coast if the wind was only easterly and a big one over carlow now
    There does appear to be some convection over land

20060228RDUK97V1400_lradar_0.gif

irish1 wrote:
    What do you think is in store for Tomorrow Earthman?
    More of the same only more shower activity I reckon.
    I still dont expect a whole lot here.

if the rest of the week is like today then i think the grass will stay green nationwide.. we really need alot more than this for anything to stick.

• Advertisement

We just had a blizzard and I think its heading for Dublin. Covering here now:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement