Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Any Pics Darkman2?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

irish1 wrote:
    Any Pics Darkman2?

Unfortunately not. Got lost in the moment! Surely it is currently effecting or has effected the Dublin area:rolleyes: Im on the coast and that was some good stuff. More showers on the horizon now:D Very big flakes at the end aswell.

Where are you located again Darkman2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

darkman2 wrote:
    Unfortunately not. Got lost in the moment! Surely it is currently effecting or has effected the Dublin area:rolleyes: Im on the coast and that was some good stuff. More showers on the horizon now:D Very big flakes at the end aswell.

I think I see it, but it passed right to the east of me :rolleyes: :o Looked ominous, and theres been cloud there for a while.

woo hoo
    Big blizzard here now :D

Visibility poor!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

irish1 wrote:
    Where are you located again Darkman2?

Im near portmarnock. I could have sworn that was more widespread. Surely the centre of Dublin is getting something:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

3 light snow showers so far. Way to warm to stick, but an interesting change to see flakes.

Heavy snow at Casement.

Mothman wrote:
    Heavy snow at Casement.
    All atlas's are wrong.
    Casement must be on high ground and it must be nightime*

*Farming forecast on sunday-snow on high ground at night...

You know speaking of inaccurate forecasts... (mine included)

The shower activity is countrywide (due to convection,diurnal heating at this time of the year).
    There are actually more showers now away from the coasts and over southern areas than there are in the north and north west at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Well I was up Howth Hill for that last shower and it was quite impressive there. Arrived in the village at sea level just as it started. Flakes were small and it was not sticking except to north facing walls and stuff.

But when I got up the 150m or so to the big aerial up past the quarry, it was a different story. Road was white - everything was white. Flakes were huge. Was here till the clearance came in. As soon as I got to the bottom of the road, it was just wet again. Looking at the hill from the window, there is still snow on the grass on the hill. Didn't stick at all at sea level much. Snow line looks to have been literally tens of metres.

Raging I didn't bring a camera - was more or less white out at the top of the hill!!!

Anyway, can see another shower on its way now. Doesn't look quite so ominous as the last one though. Roads could be very dodgy tonight with the wet roads freezing if temps get as low as forecast!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far very dissapointing where I am, Ive seen a few big quickly passing showers pass close to me but Ive seen nothing more than a few flakes blown about in a cold breeze, pretty much solid sunshine all the way since the crack of dawn. In the next few hours the shower activity will die back to the north and north western regions with a dry clear and frosty night for Munster & Leinster. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I was talking to a mate in Carlow and he said there was a very heave snow shower about an hour ago but its back to sunshine now.

Earthman, what are kind of activity do you expect tonight, more widespread showers and freezing in between them? i.e. dangerous roads in the morning?

Looks like a shower is kicking up in D15, visibility has dropped enormously in the last few minutes.

edit - yup, we've a little mini-blizzard now. Crazy. Can't see the "blanchardstown skyscraper" anymore, was perfectly clear 10 minutes ago.

edit 2 - a very impressive shower. Visibility is getting worse and worse, really terrible. You can see it coming down in sheets, really. Wish i had my camera!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

LookingFor wrote:
    Looks like a shower is kicking up in D15, visibility has dropped enormously in the last few minutes.

edit - yup, we've a little mini-blizzard now. Crazy. Can't see the "blanchardstown skyscraper" anymore, was perfectly clear 10 minutes ago.
    yep. fairly heavy here now in Blanch. Actually sticking aswell. Would need a good few hours of this though to make any difference. Not going to happen. It's already starting to brighten up again :(

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1261.png

Thats FI but it's amazing, be interesting to see if its still there in the 12z run thats coming out now. No sign of Spring yet.

LFCFan wrote:
    yep. fairly heavy here now in Blanch. Actually sticking aswell. Would need a good few hours of this though to make any difference. Not going to happen. It's already starting to brighten up again :(

Haha, yeah, here comes the blue sky. Very decent while it lasted, though!
    irish1 wrote:

Thats FI but it's amazing, be interesting to see if its still there in the 12z run thats coming out now. No sign of Spring yet.

Somewhat related, but metcheck's forecast for dublin on sunday is also teasing (and likely won't turn out like that at all, but still, funny to see!).

Back to the nearer term, metcheck mentions a trough forming off iceland at the moment that might affect us tomorrow. I guess that's what met eireann may be referring to when they talk about more widespread showers tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Had a Heavy snow shower around 230! People in school were goin crazy
    i predicted the shower to the minute:rolleyes: :D

Began to stick and all but then stopped.. was really blizzard like with
    the snow going horizontal..

Still a little dusting of snow on my permanently shadowed grass out the back;)

WC have you seen the 12z GFS run!!!!!!
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1321.png:eek:

Crazy, I know its FI but still crazy, or maybe I'm just reading it wrong :o :rolleyes: :D

irish1 wrote:
    WC have you seen the 12z GFS run!!!!!!
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1321.png:eek:

Crazy, I know its FI but still crazy, or maybe I'm just reading it wrong :o :rolleyes: :D

Would be very borderline.. but the the progression past +90hrs at the moment
    is veyr uncertain:)

If it did come off though it would be crazy, yea??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

if this this come off though what would it mean?

irish1 wrote:
    I was talking to a mate in Carlow and he said there was a very heave snow shower about an hour ago but its back to sunshine now.

Earthman, what are kind of activity do you expect tonight, more widespread showers and freezing in between them? i.e. dangerous roads in the morning?

Rel humidity and dp's are very low so the wind is a very drying wind.
    Those showers wet everywhere but , the roads dry up.
    If the wind drops tonight so will temps,like a stone so roads could be slippy in the morning but not for long when the sun gets up.

as for whats up ahead This is an excelent high resolution sat picture which shows a lot of showers upwind of us but no organised trough or polar low.
    So dont expect anything outrageous tonigh.

Look at the North sea though, much bigger shower clouds out there associated with the low pressure system.
    theres another one just west of Norway also.
    Both are heading north south but drifting a little closer tomorrow which will pep up the shower activity even in Ireland

If we could have a low over Ulster as is possible later in the week and one drifting down the Irish sea-now that would be interesting.

Bookmark that link by the way as its updated regularally.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Stunning link , Earthman - I feel as if I should be able to see my house !

irish1 wrote:

It's not as far away as you think-Saturday is only 4 days away and it is indeed there and GFS has it skirting Ulster and heading into Scotland.
    -35 to -40 500 air heavy snow up there, we'd be on the milder side of it so marginal-probably rain or sleet with snow ( on high ground at night )

By the way that low if it appears and builds, could go straight south and into Ireland...

Not entirely sure what that would do as this is march

Wind coming abit more from the sea here..
    If the showers have the legs to get over the mornes
    they might get some juice into them over that 50 mile
    sea track..

Otherwise looking like dry frosty night..

I would expect any falling snow to ly from now :)

Very heavy snow shower here now and quite dark

Winds seemed to have veered NE here!

Anywa i was going to say how i am watching tomorrow from 6am
    for possible developmental situation spreading from NI..

I say this as the development of a PL crashing into NI does
    look possible (10%) this would then likely slip down the Irish sea.

At the least shower activity would pick of in Northern and Eastern
    ulster and Leinster during tomorrow morning and with the possibility
    of some more prolonged snowfall..

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0.gif

In association with that trough feature forecast to be just north of NI
    come 5am tomorrow:)

It's torrential and sticking immediately

Wow :D and very windy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Interesting day:)

I've only seen frozen rain/hail? today though there I was told there was a snow shower at sometime before midday. 2 pm till 2.15 had two brief but heavy frozen rain showers.

When I came home there were still some accumulations on the north side of the house (only bout 1 cm of slush) but everywhere away from the sun had a look to it like water on an oily frying pan. There were loads of individual droplets on the ground, from the melted pellets.

Finally got my thermometer:p

What low are you exactly referring to, Earthman?

And at least I know now that even if there was no real snow today, it has a small chance of sticking should the white stuff appear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement