Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Earthman wrote:
    Very heavy snow shower here now and quite dark

Was just about to warn your Earthman:D

Earthman wrote:
    It's torrential and sticking immediately

Wow :D and very windy!

Go get some snappies:D :D

Oh my God whole place is white massive flakes and no sign of blue sky :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Its been a good day for snowfall here anyway. The showers are now dying back and its doubtful many of us in the East and South will see futher snow showers tonight. Temps should be a tad lower tomorrow. With heavier more widespread showers...........accumulations are possible;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i think i live in a snow barrier:( almost 8 hours of sunshine today and barely a cloud except for those few showers that skirted near me earlier in the afternoon, so so dissapointing. Im really hoping for better things from tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone know what Sally Gap is like??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

We had a VERY heavy snow shower in Carlow town after 1pm, fecking massive flakes they were! Was begining to stick just as it started to stop...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Gonzo wrote:
    i think i live in a snow barrier:( almost 8 hours of sunshine today and barely a cloud except for those few showers that skirted near me earlier in the afternoon, so so dissapointing. Im really hoping for better things from tomorrow

That was the thing about today - showers were quite localised. Whilst a blizzard brews with Earthman, there's barely a cloud in the sky with me now ;) I saw two very decent snow showers today, one more prolonged (20 mins or more), but both were in different places. Where I am now, I saw two showers pass to both the east and west, only brushing here. It's kind of a bit of pot-luck really, since there aren't bands of snow, but pockets of it, seemingly.

Hopefully tomorrow that trough will make things a little more general, and a little cloudier. Even met eireann is forecasting more widespread showers tomorrow, so fingers crossed for you Gonzo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

lookin at yer 12z Sunday and Monday could be the days for major snow

The shower is still going here hard and heavy but the blue sky is appearing.
    The grass is white as are the roof tops , the car and the tarmac

Temp fell from 4c to 1.8c in that shower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

From MetCheck:

"We are also keeping a close eye on a developing trough feature to the East of Iceland. This is expected to push Southwards overnight and into Wednesday enhancing the risk of snow showers across Central parts of Ireland and also Northern Ireland. "

Get the camera out Earthman.

Anyone in Donegal or neat the wicklow Mountains??

From MetCheck:

"We are also keeping a close eye on a developing trough feature to the East of Iceland. This is expected to push Southwards overnight and into Wednesday enhancing the risk of snow showers across Central parts of Ireland and also Northern Ireland. "

Did they copy me?/ Cause i swear i didnt even see that:D !

Suns out again now and the temp is now down to 1.2c

Camera needs charging,but I will charge it tonight in readiness for the next bout.
    Should be plenty of opportunities this week and theres a trip to the mountains planned for the w/end :)

darkman2 wrote:
    http://217.160.176.95/wz/pics/brack0.gif

This must be the trough they are talking about. Unsure of its potency however it arrives at the right time!

fantastic fax chart:D

I'm off Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I'm willing to drive anywhere in Ireland to get Snow Photo's, so hopefully somewhere will deliver a decent a fall like a foot of snow.

Should the Wicklow mountains get much?

http://217.160.176.95/wz/pics/brack0.gif

This must be the trough they are talking about. Unsure of its potency however it arrives at the right time!

irish1 wrote:
    I'm off Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I'm willing to drive anywhere in Ireland to get Snow Photo's, so hopefully somewhere will deliver a decent a fall like a foot of snow.

Should the Wicklow mountains get much?

Deffo mate:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Even Rosslare has reported snow.
    The 4 snow showers only amounted to 0.2mm, and while the fall was greater over the mountains total amount wouldn't amount to much lying on the ground.

Rukm1441.gif

:v:

Emm but in the shorter term

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/ukmtc2.cgi?time=2006022812&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=72hr

A severe little snowcane goes into southern england.. might be some
    really really jealous ppl here come Saturday or Friday:eek:

Might increase shower activity in eastern areas though;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Very light snow/hail shower here in Waterford about 30mins ago, bitterly cold.

Mothman wrote:
    Even Rosslare has reported snow.
    The 4 snow showers only amounted to 0.2mm, and while the fall was greater over the mountains total amount wouldn't amount to much lying on the ground.
    Mine didnt record any probably because it was very dry stuff.
    That longish shower has left the place looking very whitebut it tracked east of croghan mt which is gas as we have maybe a cm or 2 cms here with little drifts.
    The fields look like they've had a had frost on them and the tarmac etc is white.

Temp down to 0.7c now , and theres just been a beaut of a sunset

Dewpoint is -4c

summary.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Damn it seems like i'm in a different country altogether compared to ye lads up the country. Very warm down here, topping at around 11 degrees C. although the wind picked up around 3 pm, and the temp did drop to around 6 last time i looked.. In actual fact there was a massive cloud hovering over the Slieve Mish mnts (as seen in Earthmans very excellen sat pic above..) and i thought that there might be a nice cover snow on top.., unfortunately it looks like there is less snow there than there was yesterday.!!

Rukm1441.gif

:v:

Emm but in the shorter term

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/ukmtc2.cgi?time=2006022812&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=72hr

A severe little snowcane goes into southern england.. might be some
    really really jealous ppl here come Saturday or Friday:eek:

Might increase shower activity in eastern areas though;)

Mad alright, it might track a little north and I think regardless we will be on the cold side of it...

Interesting weather ahead.

Incidently is that a northeasterly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Earthman's link has updated (http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg). You can see it has cleared up a lot over Dublin and most of Leinster, since the last update. Hopefully some of that activity further north will penetrate down, but with night falling it might be unlikely (?)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I havent seen a cloud in the sky since 3pm so I doubt it. Very clear night out there.

Gonzo wrote:
    I havent seen a cloud in the sky since 3pm so I doubt it. Very clear night out there.

Hi Gonzo its likely activity will being to push in from the north during
    the early hours of tomorrow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

There at about 1:20 it was snowing in Navan and again at 3:30. But it was very very light, still nice to see it swirl around. The temperature is about 3c, but it does not feel that cold out. Anything happening over this way tomorrow?

Six One Weather:

Lying snow in the North Tomorrow showers along the West coast and to the North, possibly snow in Munster on Saturday. Frost tonight with temps down to -3.

Looks like I'll be heading NW for my snow scenes Thursday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

WC is the activity you're referring to a possible PL or a trough?? I want to know my chances of something good tomorrow:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement