Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

The 12:30 shower in Bray.

img02511215ld.jpg

irish1 wrote:
    Looks like I'll be heading NW for my snow scenes Thursday!
    No need to go that far just head for the Glen of Imall and climb lugnaquilla.
    It's been snow capped since thursday of last week and is white from top to bottom,I'd imagine there could be several inches on it by thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great idea Earthman, haven't climbed in a few years, I'll have to wrap up well though, temps up there would be seriously low I'm guessing?

Probably about 4 degrees colder than sea level or more given that it has snow cover.
    So right now at the top it could be -5 or -6c

But go there in the day time :D

It would be a dangerous place though in a snow shower-definite whiteout conditions guaranteed.

Also if we get rain/sleet from the system at the w/end, it will be snow up there and it would be an awfull lot of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Met Eireann must have realised today that you dont have to be on high ground, nor does it have to be night for us to get snow even at sea level :D :

"Very cold again tomorrow. Some sunny spells, but the wintry showers will soon become widespread, with hail and snow in places. The showers, heaviest and most frequent over the Northern half of the Country, with further accumulations there."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's not too often you get to hear "widespread wintry showers" for 24 hours time. Sadly though the accumulations will be the hard part. I might see temporary accumulations tomorrow but most of you guys will need a bit more luck. North coastal counties are the place to be for snow.

Was just talking to someone who lives on the inisowen penninsula. She said the snow had melted there.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Much and all that I like to see the snow falling it would be nice to see a covering to go along with it. Are these widespread showers to affect most parts? Any sign of things veering north east? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It's not too often you get to hear "widespread wintry showers" for 24 hours time. Sadly though the accumulations will be the hard part. I might see temporary accumulations tomorrow but most of you guys will need a bit more luck. North coastal counties are the place to be for snow.

Was just talking to someone who lives on the inisowen penninsula. She said the snow had melted there.

Theyve just issued a warning too for the north and west:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Felix - did you go to Birr after today? If so, what road did you choose? :D

Two intense snow showers here today, nearly accumulated. :(

darkman2 wrote:
    Theyve just issued a warning too for the north and west:rolleyes:

"Warning of Wintry Weather
    The cold snap will continue tonight, tomorrow and Thursday with some further hail or snow showers at times, these heaviest and most frequent over the North and West where moderate accumulations are likely. Very frosty also with icy roads."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

"Warning of Wintry Weather
    The cold snap will continue tonight, tomorrow and Thursday with some further hail or snow showers at times, these heaviest and most frequent over the North and West where moderate accumulations are likely. Very frosty also with icy roads."

Great news I presume? What are the chances of waking up tomorrow to a white Navan?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Danno wrote:
    Felix - did you go to Birr after today? If so, what road did you choose? :D

Two intense snow showers here today, nearly accumulated. :(

Yeah, went to Birr :) Took the main route from Portlaoise to Roscrea and on to Birr. Coming home though I went from Birr to Emo...back roads which were a bit hairy at times in the dark, 60mph it seems wasn't fast enough for some :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Dont get excited yet but the UKMO says 'prolonged' snow getting into NI late in the night. The trough makes an appearence:D

darkman2 wrote:
    Dont get excited yet but the UKMO says 'prolonged' snow getting into NI late in the night. The trough makes an appearence:D

Whats the chances of that spilling down south? (ie Carlow :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

darkman2 wrote:

I wonder why Met Eireann doesn't seem to be picking up on it? Does "more widespread showers" tomorrow cover it?

I have a feeling that tonight could still yet deliver too - it is fairly cloudy overhead here at the moment at -0.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Clear in Roscrea -2

There was snow in Oranmore Co Galway about an hour ago

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that snow trough in NI could break up into nothing as it progress's south like what happened with yesterdays rainband, hopefully not tho, coz if it doesnt then i mite stand a chance of seeing some snow. Northerly/northwesterlys rarely deliver any real snow activity to my area and today was no different. Is there any chance of the wind turning northeasterly soon? I think i'll only see snow that way if it does.

Not really Gonzo, but the models are all over the place, the 18z run had a very different FI compared to the 12z, it really is a now cast situation.

I'm looking at a sat image from 21:17 and there is nothing only scattered bits of clouds in the North and nothing really coming in. Can't see anything tonight except a very small shower here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

About 1/2 an inch lying here in Tuam, was snowing up until about 20 minutes ago. Skies clear now, bitterly cold.

Time for the snowchains!

• Advertisement

Good stuff starman, you got lucky, keep us posted and if you have a camera take a snap or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

irish1 wrote:
    I'm looking at a sat image from 21:17 and there is nothing only scattered bits of clouds in the North and nothing really coming in. Can't see anything tonight except a very small shower here and there.

If we're looking at Earthman's link, there's definitely stuff out there, but how far in land it comes is another question. Looking at the 21:17 update, it would seem they peter out over the midlands. I'm just a lay man, though :p

Earthman - what are the links to the HIRLAM output on Wetterzentrale again?

Currently -1.4c here - a drop of 1c in 30 minutes! :o

Clear skies overhead including a loud rather low flying jet. Stiff breeze - now I know the meaning of "penetrating frost" :D Brrr...

Can't see the showers making it inland but I'm very far from being an expert.

WC must be busy doing his homework, he'd normally be posting updates every 30 mins during snowy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

irish1 wrote:
    Can't see the showers making it inland but I'm very far from being an expert.

WC must be busy doing his homework, he'd normally be posting updates every 30 mins during snowy times.

Ha! I dont do homework:v: ! I really really should but i do as little as possible..

Basically to summarise, a scattering of showers in the north and west.. these
    will slowly increases as the night goes on and will band together tomorrow
    \AM across Ulster and push south.. 1 inch may fall in north leinster..
    Over Ulster upto 3 inches of the white stuff maybe more on northern coasts
    similar for Mayo..

Something more substatial may occur if developments occur but none
    are expected as of now...:D ;)

Homework?? What age are you WC (if you dont mind me asking? :p )

Clear crisp night here Irish1, not a cloud in sight :rolleyes:

CroppyBoy1798 any sign of any showers in Carlow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

Alright guys - the fact of the matter is I am now getting frequent snow showers - The place is white it has changed to a North Westerly feed at last.

This means at last no longer East England or East Scotland gets all the fun its our turn now-

So lets see whats happens from now till Saturday with our North Westerly- Bring it on!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement