Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Met Eireann did specifically say it would be the afternoon before showers became more widespread, with it being sunny in many places through the morning. FWIW, it's definitely cloudier here now than it was this morning. We'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Cooloney Roundabout to Manorhamilton 1.10 mins this morning had to go via Glencar which was dodgy but fantastic, mind you I dident leave the house till 9.15 (Had to let the wee lads play in the snow for an hour:D ) The thaw is on at the moment here looks like the roads will be a lot better this afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Welll time to lay it down. There will be no snow showers in the East and South today and many midland areas will stay dry simply because of the light winds and lack of inland convection. It will be the same tonight.

For the rest of the week, looking at the charts it is very unlikely Eastern and Southern areas will see any more snow during this cold snap. In fact from tomorrow temps will be starting to pick up and this should raise the snow level except at night in the West and North. As for the weekend, ignore met eireanns forcast. There is no blizzards or longer spells of snow forcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Starting to snow here again, it has turned a bit colder from mid morning, and cloud cover here is total. There is a also a strong wind blowing and it is looking like this shower will last longer than just 2 or 3 mins...
    Although whether it sticks now remains to be seen..

starting to get very heavy and blizzadry now...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yep temps shud start rising slightly after tomorrow and the showers are remaining confined to the north & northwest up to Sunday, looks like its game over for the rest of us. Same in the UK, only the northern and north eastern fringe of scotland got snow and parts of Yorkshire and around Norfolk and a few parts of Wales and Cornwall. Its dazzling sunshine with nighttime frosts for most of us all the way into sunday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Showers have failed to push south from the north but no worries
    convection is currently flaring up... Im expecting a rash of showers
    to be present by 1600hrs across Ireland.. home grown stuff;)

I saw the BBC wales today news there on BBC one wales and they've had loads of snow.
    4 to 6 inches in the showers that have came in off the Irish sea in the Northwesterly.

I would tend to agree with darman2 as regards the rest of the week.
    The slacker flow will allow ambient temps to rise over the coming days.

So Gwan Darkman you can say it...

Soon the forecast will be accurate if you say "snow on high ground at night" :D

Incidently the snow from yesterday evenings shower is still on the ground in shady spots here where the sun hasnt got it-but you'd be a long time gathering up enough for a snow man out of it-or a snow ball for that matter.

Convection is beginning to develop... Im having a light flurry from
    bubbling clouds that didnt look like anything at first..

Its acutally 5c out there:eek: and feels warm in the sun:eek:

Still flurrying!

the louds are literally bubbling up..!

Had a half decent hail shower here;)

• Advertisement

Heabier shower now! Clouds are rising... Anvils to my north moving south!

There's been light snow in the air here (D15) for the last few mins. It's fairly cloudy - a lot cloudier than this morning - but it's quite broken cloud.

edit - now a heavier, snow/hail shower. Not like yesterday or anything, but still nice to see something..

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Meanwhile the sun is still shining in Dundalk...

Merrick wrote:
    Meanwhile the sun is still shining in Dundalk...

The sun is shining here too...but it's snowy. Kind of mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

We had some frost earlier... It was snowing in Newry this morning but that seems to have stopped at the border.

Another snow flurry here in Norther Dublin.. attempted to settle for
    a wee while but it was a tiny shower;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It's snowing here in Achill. :eek: :D:D

We've had several showers that briefly stick and then melt. And guess who doesn't have any batteries in her camera? :mad:

A very heavy (but not prolonged) shower coming here now. Will report back. Had a good snow shower a few minutes ago.:)

I seem to be doing reasonably well with these flurries:rolleyes: :D

A more substantial flurry or shower to my north.. as in i cant see
    the blue sky behind it yet like i did with the other 2:D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I've decided to go up Lugnaquilla tomorrow rather than head to Donegal, Does anyone know what kind of conditions I can expect, dept of Snow, temps?

• Advertisement

Satellite representation is better than yesterday so expect showers
    to get well into Ulster tonight and maybe into N Leinster

From now until 6pm we can expect some home grown showers
    peaking around 5ish:)

Ironically this is the only snow that has fallen here this winter!

Or infact no snow would have fallen if it hadnt yesterday during the entire winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it was saved on the final hour!

I seem to be doing reasonably well with these flurries:rolleyes: :D

Haha, ditto here. There's definitely more ominous looking clouds rolling past now, but they're still not really "big", there isn't a mass of cloud to cover the sky or anything of the like. The situation might be slightly more hopeful than it was a couple of hours ago, though :rolleyes:

There seems to be more of a breeze picking up too, but maybe that's just because there's a light shower passing at the minute.

edit - that shower got heavier..very fine-grained flakes though. Again, you could see the sun shining through broken cloud. The oddest sight!

Just had the edge of a darn heavy but short lived snow shower. I think these showers will recede now. Nothing spectacular but at least we got something:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Fairly heavy shower heading into north Dublin soon. Looks like it's gonna miss me out here in Inchicore.
    Oh, would it be possible for people here to have their location in their profile so it easily viewable when viewing threads. Makes it much easier when someone says it's snowing where they are and me not having a clue where said person is. Thanks

Yea had a "shower" of snow.. the others i'd class as flurries:)

very disappointing day:o

Doesnt look like theres much to my north now and features havent
    formed etc... ah well.. 5 more days of possibilities;)

Interesting, the winds may go Easterly tomorrow evening for a time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no showers here today, just sunshine all day long with a few puffy clouds. have had about 8 or 9 hours of sunshine both today and yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Any willing to guess on what snow (if any) Dublin will get between now and next Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'd say a few showers but nothing lying for more than a few hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement