Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some Cold for all (2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The extent of the excitment down here

Mike.

We had a few snow flurries here in the mid afternoon from passing light showers which were up wind.
    Very sunny all day but the max only reached 5.2 c
    It's back down to 3.8c now dewpoint -2.6c
    Theres some impressive looking showers drifting down the Irish sea,I can see the anvils from here,they are only a few miles off the coast but unlikely to drift in as the wind is northwest.

Theres one or two inland of here towards the mountains aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I wouldnt and dont expect any more snowfall for Dublin during this cold spell. The airflow is too slack and Northerly, therefore its too dry. Temps will be up tomorrow slightly on today, maybe the odd inland convection shower but not even as many as today. Latest runs suggest the breakdown will be a drab, damp affair for us with rain ushering in Spring. Then we have to wait till next Winter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im watching this

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5927/16307rd.jpg

Off to the match soon though so you'll have to keep watch for me:D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The 12z says the show is over before it started and the Met forecast for Blizzards Sunday is now as about as acurate as the weekly one they gave last Sunday!

Looks like we'll have to wait until next winter, unless there is a major change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Not a single flake of snow here in Carlow town today, :rolleyes: there has been a build up in clouds, but nothing that even resembles a shower yet. Just seen this on Met Check:

"Parts of the country including Scotland, Ireland, Wales and parts of Northeast England have all seen some significant amounts of snowfall, in places in excess of 6 inches!. However Northwest England, Southern Scotland and more Central and Southern parts of England have seen little or no snow at all. So are things going to change?.

The answer to that question is yes. So far this week a Northerly wind has been dominating across the UK however during the course of Wednesday the wind will begin to change and more of a Northwesterly wind will develop. This will reduce the risk of snow down Eastern parts of the country but increase the risk over more Western and possibly Central parts of the country."

"This trend is then expected to continue into the end of the week with a somewhat increased risk of snow for places that may not have seen anything so far."

Does that have any significance for us??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Not much to report here in the West. Galway has been sunny and cold all day.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

When I was driving home in the odd snow shower I actually thought I'd come home and log on to find that the wind had veered east and we were in for some decent snow. The reality it seems is that its all over :o Ah well, waited five years now so whats another year assuming we get some next winter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Shower lasting 10 or 15 minutes here in Cork City just a while ago
    Started off with light but got heavier with big flakes towards the end.
    Sunny again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I've been watching huge snow filled cumulonimbus trickling over the mournes and the cooley peninsula all afternoon....but N.Louth hasn't so much as fallen under the shadow of a cloud, let alone seen any precipitation.
    Some very pretty salmon pink anvils drifting SE on the Irish sea right now.
    I'd say south down was the nearest to us to get any siginificantfalls today :(

• Advertisement

Winds go Easterly tomorrow night:rolleyes: Maybe the odd shower off the Irish sea? UKMO fax for 00z Friday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ive washed my hands of this cold snap anyway, nothing happened anyway except for a few very select areas that were luckily enough to see snow.

The fax chart for 12z Friday is even more interesting for the East:rolleyes:

Yeah, heres to next winter. The worst part about this is that everything for a change seemed to be in our favour and then didn't deliver. After a winter of let downs this was the mother of the lot :)

Felix you should move to sligo-plenty of snow there just on the news.

Or wales which to quote Alex Deakin from BBC weather is getting a snow train of showers from the Irish sea and they've issued yet another weather alert for there.
    The East would have done well if the wind was more NE as the showers definitely developed out at sea

what is this fax chart you speak of darkman??

0c here now so freezing dp down to the lowest I've seen since I got the Davis vantage pro 2 at -4.5c

Earthman wrote:
    Felix you should move to sligo-plenty of snow there just on the news.

Tempting but on balance they tend to get a lot of rain year round so I'll stick to snowless Dublin :) Will defo book a snow holiday next year, never been and always hear great reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Snowing in Lifford for 15 minutes now. And sticking.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Met Eireann did indeed jump the gun on that low for the end of the week - they're now saying that those systems will pass to the south of ireland and their precipitation won't affect us.

They're also saying now that the cold will persist till Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Their forecast for tomorrow is showers in the north and west, spreading to the midlands and east as the day moves on (but weaker, I'm sure - they were using white cloud graphics for eastern parts versus black cloud graphics for north and west ;)). Sounds familiar..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Weathercheck's short-term prediction was pretty accurate for here.

We had a snow shower at 2 pm, 3.15 pm and a more significant one at 5.45 or thereabouts in Drogheda. Was delayed getting home because we had to go into the Argos on the other side of town.

When we came out we were greeted by blizzard conditions:D It lasted for a good 15 minutes and we had to take the longer westwards route home so accumulations of 2 cm on some of the roads were seen. Wind direction was NW so I came home to nothing:(

Even if I see no more snow now for this season, I'd be happy now after seeing my first proper snow shower since a year ago:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think all the forcasters were taken by surprise, after all the ramping from every direction since last weekend this cold snap amounted to little more than nothing for 95% of us. BBC and Sky have since more or less admitted that it will only snow now in the extreme north & northwesterly districts between now and sunday with perhaps some snow in southern/southwestern england out of a passing front. This truly has been the mother of all letdowns over the past 3/4 years or so. Spring/Summer is only around the corner so bye bye winter 2005/2006

I'm not let down.

20 minute drive and I can have all the snow I want.

1 hour for you Gonzo -they're called the wicklow mountains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Well we had a few showers of hail/snow today, but they didn't last long enough, nor was the ground cold enough for anything to stick.
    But a right heavy shower passed overhead about 20 mins ago, and started off very well, it is now barely just a flurry, but the snow is sticking.. Hopefully we will see a few more during the night

There is alot of interesting activity to the North of Scotland at the moment. Looks like its developed into a full blown frontal system. Better watch that one:rolleyes:

Could it track our way or is that wishful thinking :confused: :rolleyes:

Earthman wrote:
    I'm not let down.

20 minute drive and I can have all the snow I want.

1 hour for you Gonzo -they're called the wicklow mountains :)

We had a very quick flurry in Maynooth giving a few grains on cars.

Earthman I'm heading for the Wicklow mountains tomorrow with my cam, any recomendations on where to get the deepest snow?

Felixdhc wrote:
    Could it track our way or is that wishful thinking :confused: :rolleyes:

Dont know, but the showers could well be up a notch tomorrow and with the wind going NEasterly for a time could be interesting tomorrow evening:)

Winds are deffo Easterly tomorrow evening:D Now we just need precip:rolleyes:

Rtavn248.png

With a bit of luck! Terrible how disappointing the lack of snow can be, actually put me in bad form today, how sad is that :rolleyes: My wife thinks I'm mad :)

• Advertisement

The Irish Sea will deliver of the winds stay East for long enough!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement