Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE: 2x04: "Everybody Hates Hugo" [SPOILERS WITHIN]

• 28-02-2006 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

Synopsis from Wikipedia.org NB: Be careful of link. Page contains future epsodes as well!
    Original airdate:(ABC in US) October 12, 2005 (RTÉ in Ireland) 27 Feb 2006
    Flashback: Hugo "Hurley" Reyes
    Written by: Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz
    Directed by: Alan Taylor

While eating profuse amounts of food in the bunker's pantry, Hurley is confronted by Jin, who seems to be speaking perfect English, and a man in a chicken suit. When questioned about his newfound mastery of the language, Jin informs him that Hurley is speaking Korean, to which Hurley responds, "I am?" in Korean, with English subtitles. Hurley asks Jin about the man in the chicken suit and Jin warns Hurley that everything will change, a response Hurley seems not to understand. The man in the chicken suit starts blinking in time to the beeps of the station's alarm. Jin wishes Hurley a "cluckety cluck-cluck day" and then the man in the chicken suit shouts "Hurley!" with Kate's voice, signifying the transition as Hurley awakens from a dream. When Kate asks if he was sleeping, Hurley replies that he was not. Kate then informs Hurley that it is time to enter the code and that the numbers are written on a piece of paper taped to the computer in case he forgot them.

The flashbacks reveal the events immediately following Hurley's discovery of his winning lottery numbers. Opting to keep his ticket to instant wealth a secret, he is lectured by the manager of Mr. Cluck's Chicken Shack for eating food without paying for it. Hurley quits, and his friend Johnny does likewise. The pair visit a record store, where they sing part of the lyrics to the Drive Shaft's song, "You All, Everybody", as they flip past the CD in the "One Hit Wonders" section. Hurley asks an attractive salesgirl for a date to a The Hold Steady concert, which to both his and Johnny's surprise, she accepts. Later, the two friends steal a vanload of garden gnomes and use them to spell out "Cluck You" on the lawn of their former employer. Hurley asks his friend to promise that they will never change, and Johnny does so; immediately after, his friend notices a news crew at a local gas station and pulls in to see what's happened. The reporters have arrived because they know the winning lottery ticket was bought at that location; the clerk recognizes Hurley and points him out. Johnny is stunned, and his expression clearly reveals that, despite his promise, everything has changed.

Hurley struggles with the task of food rationing. Charlie asks Hurley if the bunker contains food, specifically peanut butter for Claire, but Hurley stonewalls him. Charlie storms off. Hurley decides to enlist Rose to help him inventory.

Meanwhile, Jack and Sayid attempt to excavate the sealed-off portion of the facility. The concrete walls seem to be impenetrable, and Sayid remarks that a similar technique was used to protect against the effects of the Chernobyl accident. Behind the walls is apparently something with a very strong magnetic field.

Sawyer, Michael and Jin learn that their captors are survivors from the tail section of the plane and are taken to a hidden concrete bunker site-- which appears to be a Dharma Initiative Station— which they use for sanctuary. Although the station appears derelict or incomplete, The Dharma Initiative logo appears clearly on several walls. A woman named Libby says that there were 23 survivors from the tail section of the plane, but it is clear that many have since died. Bernard, Rose's husband, is one of the survivors still living.

Claire discovers the bottle of messages from the raft floating near the beach. She asks Shannon what to do, and the pair conclude that Sun should be the one to make the decision. Sun opts to conceal this new fact and buries the bottle.

Hurley becomes less certain of his ability to ration the food in a manner that keeps everyone happy. Hurley attempts to quit, but Locke refuses to permit this. Hurley then recovers the unused sticks of dynamite and prepares to blow up the food. When Rose asks him what he's doing, he explains that the food, newfound wealth to the survivors, will change everything and everyone will come to hate him, just like things changed when, in a flashback, everyone knew he won the lottery - the guy who in Hurley's dream wears the chicken suit is the one who shows to the reporters that Hurley won the jackpot. Rose talks him down from this rash act. Later, Hurley informs Jack of his decision not to ration the food. Jack accepts this. The food is instead distributed freely and the survivors enjoy an enormous feast. Everyone appreciates Hurley's generosity, including Charlie, who gives his benefactor a Hurley-like hug of reconciliation.

Trivia
    On the milk carton Hurley is drinking during his dream sequence, there is a photo of Walt as a missing person. [1]
    Hurley's abusive manager at Mr. Cluck's Chicken Shack is "Randy" (Billy Ray Gallion) who later becomes John Locke's boss at the box company as shown in "Walkabout".

Basquille: I know you usually put these threads up, but as you had not I decided to. Hope that's ok.

What did you think of "Everybody Hates Hugo"? 32 votes

0%
    6%
    Cactus ColJBoyle4eva 2 votes
    6%
    Crucifixkellxor.1337 2 votes
    15%
    yom 1cooperguyStompboxSilageMargeS 5 votes
    18%
    sunbeamweemcdgrumpytrousersSanta Claus6ixFuzzy_Dunlop 6 votes
    31%
    EarthhorseAnaiyelaCountryWiseEamonnKeane[Deleted User]bikotrishw78demanAgamemnonZiabR 10 votes
    12%
    LagunadenachomanDadesdeisedolly 4 votes
    3%
    Chumpski 1 vote
    6%
    skibumZapp Brannigan 2 votes
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I thought this episode was by far the best this series. The acting was superb, we were bought back to Rose's character and we had a very good storyline to go with a superb character.

What were your thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thanks for that JBoyle.. i keep forgetting about the Monday night episodes. Only remembered when i saw the title on the Main Page.

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was a ok ep. Didn't really push things forward much but at least it didn't end with a massive cliffhanger (it'll be 14 days 'til next ep).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

I really enjoyed tonights episode, i think its just because they finally got away from the stand off in the bunker for the 3rd episode running!

Back story was a little bland, but i didnt get as frustrated with the show as i did in the earlier episodes in the series, also a sense of normalitly has returned as all the characters are now appearing again, not just those directly involved with the hatch. Some people may complain about this, but it is only right they cover the other castaways stories, not just dealing with desmond and co. (as much as i would like them to so i could find out wtf is going on!)

Didnt really notice any cool fúck off moments tho; small details such as the Dharma logo on the shark etc there was the drivshaft jewel case but meh, mabye i wasnt looking hard enough but im practically squinting to try and pick those kind of things up.

Nice episode, nothing to fast moving, but not frustrating in any way. Plus points have to go to kate in a towel.

Only thing annoyed me is, where the fúck is desmond!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I feel this was another poor episode, making this in my opinion the second in a row, from the superb start to the first series and the frantic finish, what the hell is going on at the start of this series?, it really is starting to feel like nothing is actually happening (maybe due to the fact this is actually the case).

The only saving grace of tonights episode was that we didn't have to see the Jack/Desmond/Locke gunpoint scene for the fourth episode in a row, as we all know how Lost likes to ram things home.. I'm really starting to hope things pick up in the next two to three episodes, this season of Lost is making it feel and look like a completely different programme to the first season..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I really enjoyed this episode. It manage to have the same small amount of exposition without feeling slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Its a good episode, and you kind of need it for the episodes to come. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

A pretty average episode of Lost. Agree with Crucifix, the episode didn't feel too slow, maybe because they weren't trying to make small revelations hugely dramatic, something they're often guilty of in this show.

Ep. would have been better had the dynamite accidentally gone off on Hurley while he was talking to Rose. Lost could do with more random explosions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I liked this ep just to see that Rose isn't a crazy in denile. Although I am wondering what happened to the other survivors there was 26 of them so what happened. When Ana Lucia knocked on the exact same door as Hurley I was thinking OMG the found another Hatch. Is this the other side of the same habitat? Is Rose physic how does she know that the others are safe. She seemed pretty happy in the end.

As for Hurley's back story ok so everyone changed when they found out he won the lottery it still doesn't tell me why he was in the loony bin

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

I loved the epidose, I gave it a 9, I agree that it was good not to see a gun stand off AGAIN, 2 thumbs up for kate in a towel though,

I liked the story of hurley, was one of the best so far, I wonder if he hooked up with the hot girl from the record shop, As for the 2nd bunker, i was sure it's on the other side of the wall jack and saieed (sp) were diggin at, when they went into the bunker and there was only a few ppl there i thought that they prob ate the others or sumtin, It can happen lol and i was sure i was gonna see another countdown computer,

I cant believe we have to wait 14days

Kellxor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Not a great episode at all, few nice moments(kate in the towel)!!
    way too slow moving, they are really milking it too much, i think the viewing numbers might start to off as its not gripping anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Thought this was a terrible episode. Nothing happened yet again (except for the other survivors).
    Lost is getting very irritating, it had want to start picking up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Thought this was a terrible episode
    I think the number of posts on here shows this too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I liked this episode alot - which was mainly due to the fact the it was a Hurley/Hugo backstory. I really like Hurley's character and love the comical aspect he brings to Lost.

This episode moved the story on alot imo. As was already said things have settled down after the first couple of episodes. But yet there was so much more. Claire Shannon and Sun know that the raft has come into trouble. The survivors have all found out that there is actually food on the island. Will they still hunt boar? It was confirmed that the others are actually survivors of flight 815. Rose's husband is still alive, yet what happened to the Others that havent survived the 44 odd days on the island?

Does anyone else not like Anna Lucia already. I mean wtf was the speech she gave Sawyer all about. Sawyer Michael and Jin are all in the same way that she is - a survivor of a crash yet she seems to think that she is in charge. Will be interesting to see how she gets on with Jack Kate and Locke.
    JBoyle4eva wrote:
    Trivia
    On the milk carton Hurley is drinking during his dream sequence, there is a photo of Walt as a missing person.
    ^^^^
    Thats class by the way. Love the way everything is interelated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I thought there wasnt that much food after all hence the party at the end?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

yom 1 wrote:
    Does anyone else not like Anna Lucia already. I mean wtf was the speech she gave Sawyer all about. Sawyer Michael and Jin are all in the same way that she is - a survivor of a crash yet she seems to think that she is in charge. Will be interesting to see how she gets on with Jack Kate and Locke.
    That sums up the one thing that annoys me.

Peoples reactions are numbed for the sake of tension or plot. Sawyer and co have just been united with the other survivors, and instead of rejoicing and asking a million questions they huddle in a corner. Nobody asks why they have to be quiet, why they are hiding in a bunker, or any of the questions the viewer is shouting at the TV.

Why one of them didn't just bosh Anna Lucia on the head at the first chance I don't know.

Okay episode, but only because Hurley is a likeable guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

yom 1 wrote:
    yet what happened to the Others that havent survived the 44 odd days on the island?
    Probably killed by the same disease that killed the French womens people.

Slurms wrote:
    Probably killed by the same disease that killed the French womens people.

I was thinking that, but if thats the case why did the remaining Others survive and how come they dont appear to be sick. Why have none of the original survivors become sick? So many qts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Why don't RTE's subtitlers bother to READ what's on the screen and spell "Dharma" the way it is written on the hatch's contents (not "Darm").

Same went for last week where "Alvar Hanso" became "Arthur Hanson" and numerous other mistakes when it comes to the fictional world. Ask ABC for the script - or check the flippin' internet! These should be correct in particular if there are on-screen pointers to the spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Pretty poor episode I thought. Anna Lucia's a total psycho, which makes her a poor choice for leader.

Also, does anyone get the feeling Lost hits you over the head with things? Like the peanut butter jar had "PEANUT BUTTER" in big black letters on it in case some Americans didn't realise what that gooey brown stuff was. Or when you see Sun filling in a hole - surely anyone can make the connection after that - but no, then it goes into a slo-mo shot of her lowering the bottle into it.

Hurley's flashback told you very little that you didn't already know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 elvis4sale

does any body want to know, what happens at the end of lost?? hav inside info. suppose to be gaurunteed

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

Dude, PM me, I'd like to know, I dont care if it's a spoiler, I'll still watch, I watched stargate season 3 1st then started again,

Kellxor

elvis4sale wrote:
    does any body want to know, what happens at the end of lost?? hav inside info. suppose to be gaurunteed

Sure you do...! I'd say that one is known by about three people (Abrams, Lindeloff and maybe one or two other senior writes), and even that plan is subject to tweaking along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

my ass you know whats going to happen in the end. Not even the creators know exactly how it's going to end. Why would anyone want to know? i don't understand why people download future episodes from the internet..have some time to think about it yourself..let the series flow..IMO

I thought this episode was great! For those who didn't like this (and the previous episodes) maybe Lost isn't for you. All of you constantly moan that's nothing happens but let's face it - it's a tv show. It's not a film, so don't expect each episode to be like one..this tv show (and most others) is about the CHARACTERS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

yeha i thought that it was a very good episode. i was pleasently surprised because i wasnt expecting much oging by reports from others round here. it was good to have a kind of more easy going episode which got back more to the bigger group of survivors. however i continue to dislike anna lucia's character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

yom 1 wrote:
    It was confirmed that the others are actually survivors of flight 815.
    I don't think this is the case.
    Jin just came out of the jungle screaming "Others". That doesn't make these the "Others" that the Frenchwoman talked about.
    In fact she says the others have been on the island since she was there, long before the crash.

I think these dudes are just from the other half of the plane and nothing to do with the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I the others are the scientist that were in the research facility. Maybe they got infected by something the were researching

Son Goku wrote:
    I don't think this is the case.
    Jin just came out of the jungle screaming "Others". That doesn't make these the "Others" that the Frenchwoman talked about.
    In fact she says the others have been on the island since she was there, long before the crash.

I think these dudes are just from the other half of the plane and nothing to do with the others.

You took me up wrong. I was saying that "The Others", as we were led to believe at first, are actually the Survivors of the tail end of the plane - Flight 815.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

Some notes on this episode from one of me 'blogs, if anyone's interested. Apologies if any of these have already been posted.

- On the milk carton Hugo drinks from in his dream, a photograph of Walt can clearly be seen. Actually, it looks like the publicity photo of Malcom David Kelley which you can find in my Lost gallery.

- When Jin shows up in the dream, Hugo sees him with all the scratches, cuts, etc. he's accumulated since the raft was attacked despite the fact that Hugo doesn't know anything about it. Pair this with Walt on the milk carton and again it looks as though something on the island is trying to communicate with the survivors through dreams and visions (see Claire, John and Shannon).

- Will have to rewatch it to double check but I think the dude in the Mr. Clucky suit in Hugo's dream is the same guy who was working at the petrol station, the one that "rumbled" Hugo. This would actually make sense given what Jin is saying about everything changing, it was because of this guy that everything changed for him after winning the lottery.

- How in the hell did Claire lose so much weight so quickly? Remember, while it's been a couple of months for us since Aaron was born, only a few days have passed on the island.

- Been waiting for Bernard to show up before posting this one; in a deleted scene from "Exodus" Claire explains to the pilot how she came to be on flight 815. He responds by telling her a story about his mother visiting a psychic which led to her breaking up with her boyfriend who then went on to sell his company for $39m. The boyfriend's name was Bernard - coincidence? No such thing in Lost! ;) Also, 39=16+23.

- Despite the fact that the tail section survivors didn't even know there were any survivors from the mid section until they came across James, Jin & Michael, they know that they are on the other side of the island. For all they know, they could just be a short walk up the beach. Might be just an assumption on their part or they know more than they are letting on.

- Randy, Hugo's boss in Mr. Clucky's, later becomes John's boss in the box factory, the one we see giving him **** in "Walkabout". Was puzzled, though, as to why Hugo would give him such a high profile job, given his obvious dislike of the man. UPDATE: OK, rewatching "Numbers", Hugo didn't even know he was a major share holder (not owner) of the box company until his lawyer told him so, obviously, he's not the one responsible for employing Randy.

- Libby tells Michael there were 23 survivors from the tail section, but I'm sure ye spotted that one.

- Did anyone else spot the blue thing on the ground while John was at the lemon(?) tree, before calling Charlie out? Didn't get a good look at it meself but it looked very out of place yet John and Charlie didn't spot it. Maybe a stray tarp or something; maybe I should stop looking for things that don't mean anything.

- Anyone get a good look at the logo on the pumps at Scotty's Petrol Station? At first glance, they looked similar to Dharma logos to me.

- Speaking of the Dharma logo, in case you missed it, the one we see on the wall in the tail section survivors camp has what looks like an arrow pointing straight up in the centre of it, where the swan is on the logo in Desmond's hatch. It also looks the same as the one we see on the shark in "Adrift".

- Something else which I need to double check but it appears as though the Apollo bars are the only name brand items in the pantry, everything else is Dharma's own brand.

Actually, while typing up those last two items on the two Dharma logos and the Apollo bars, something sparked a memory so Auntie Google and meself went off on a research expidition and discovered that there are six constellations of stars sometimes referred to as Apollo's constellations. They are Corvus, Crater, Ophiuchus, Orion and Sagitta. Respectively, their common names are The Crow (or Raven), The Goblet (or Cup), The Swan (or Northern Cross), The Serpent Bearer, The Hunter and The Arrow. Could be a clue as to the symbols related to the remainder of the hatches.

UPDATE: Went off a-researching a bit more about constellations and found an alternative to the above. When we look at the constellations listed by size (i.e., the amount of sky they take up), we find that Cetus (The Whale or Sea Monster) is the 4th largest, Draco (The Dragon) is 8th, Sagittarius (The Archer or Centaur) is 15th, Cygnus (The Swan) is 16th, Serpens (The Serpent) is 23rd and Coma Berenices (Bernice's Hair, orginally Leo's or The Lion's Tail) is 42nd. Unfortunately, there's no Sagitta (Arrow) on that list but the arrow can be tied to the archer Sagittarius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I gave it a 6, was an ok episode.

MeTV wrote:
    Some notes on this episode from one of me 'blogs, if anyone's interested. Apologies if any of these have already been posted.

Excellent post MeTV - actually several things in there (love the constellation stuff) that never came up in our discussion of "Everybody Hates Hugo" in the US thread. Wonder if we should merge the US and IRL threads after the ep airs in Ireland, or provide a pointer to those who might want to see what some of the rest of us said back then.

Thanks, doh.ie - been posting similar entries in that 'blog for all episodes of season 2, so far, as they air over here; will also be posting them here from now on, if they go down well :)

MeTV wrote:
    Thanks, doh.ie - been posting similar entries in that 'blog for all episodes of season 2, so far, as they air over here; will also be posting them here from now on, if they go down well :)

Don't see any enties in your blog link - is it the Boards.ie blog? You should def check out the old US threads for the episodes as they air too - won't spoil anything and your keen eye should enjoy the points raised, and a lot of good theories as the plot evolves.

No, don't have a 'blog here - don't know why it's showing up under me name - it's on one of my personal 'blogs elsewhere on the interweb.

Try to avoid US topics and forums as best I can as there's just far too much potential for unintentional spoilers, which is a shame as I know I'm missing out on a lot of meaty discussions.

Advertisement