Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card surcharge on travel after deposit paid

Options
  • 28-02-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Just curious if anyone has come across this. I booked a holiday a few weeks ago and paid a deposit with my credit card. I got a letter today from the travel agent saying that with immediate effect they would charge me a 2% surcharge for paying the balance with credit card. I need to pay with credit card to avail of my credit card travel insurance.

But regardless, is it really legal to impose an extra fee once a deposit has been paid? I will obviously never do business with these clowns again, but before I start ripping people over the phone tomorrow, it'd be nice to get some insights.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

post facto after the offer acceptance contract NO !.

A 2% surcharge (for cc not fuel which does vary) is taking the piss, imagine if Tesco did it for example.

I would charge the card back if I were you, your cc issuer will agree wholeheartedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Check and make sure you didn't agree to any small print that mentions the surcharge.

If not then they can't charge you. Challenge them on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Blaster99 wrote:
    Just curious if anyone has come across this. I booked a holiday a few weeks ago and paid a deposit with my credit card. I got a letter today from the travel agent saying that with immediate effect they would charge me a 2% surcharge for paying the balance with credit card. I need to pay with credit card to avail of my credit card travel insurance.

But regardless, is it really legal to impose an extra fee once a deposit has been paid? I will obviously never do business with these clowns again, but before I start ripping people over the phone tomorrow, it'd be nice to get some insights.

All (or virtually all) travel agents charge a CC surcharge. This is usually well advertised on notices in the office. While I don't think this is *technically* illegal, it is AFAIK in violation of the agreement they have to sign with Visa/Mastercard etc. Advice I've seen before about this situation went something like this: 1. Get manager and explain to them that you don't want to pay surcharge as it is in violation of their contract with Visa etc. They will probably laugh at you. 2. Pay the surcharge BUT get it charged separately from the holiday balance, i.e. one charge for, say, €1000 for holiday; one charge for €20 for surcharge. If possible get travel agent to sign receipt or something stating that this is surcharge for CC use. 3. Contact your credit card company who AFAIK will refund you the charge and give the travel agent a bollicking. Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I think you're missing the point. There was no surcharge in place at the time of booking and paying deposit. This is something they made up after the fact, conveniently between the time most people would have made the booking and before the time when most people pay the balance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Then it was not in the contract but was added afterwards .

A CC surcharge where you have the option of paying cash is one thing but like I said, what if Tesco took you after you left the shop ???

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    I think you're missing the point. There was no surcharge in place at the time of booking and paying deposit. This is something they made up after the fact, conveniently between the time most people would have made the booking and before the time when most people pay the balance.

No, getting your point alright. Most travel agents I have been in have a sign on each desk listing thir charges. Any I have seen include a line "Pay balance by credit card : x%"; i.e. they don't charge you initially when you just pay deposit, but do for the balance. Maybe I'm getting confused in my old age, but I think that's the way they run it. Complete rip off needless to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The surcharge was not in place at the time of booking/deposit on any payment of any kind and the letter I got confirmed that they had changed their payment terms effective immediately. Anyways, after giving some poor girl a speel about how they were in breach of contract and general consumer law we settled on a compromise.

Blaster99 wrote:
    The surcharge was not in place at the time of booking/deposit on any payment of any kind and the letter I got confirmed that they had changed their payment terms effective immediately. Anyways, after giving some poor girl a speel about how they were in breach of contract and general consumer law we settled on a compromise.
    Ah, my mistake then. I didn't realise there was still agents who didn't charge for CCs (well, till recently obviously).

Advertisement