Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Rooms

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Pythia wrote:
    Yeah, mine is 'Mr Lappy'.

That just sounds wrong.Mr lappy sounds like a name that belongs in austin powers or sumthing.:)

I've got a dell too!I love it-everyone from Limerick knows at least one person working in Dell so I managed to get a nice big discount of my precious. Dont have a name for it yet-hmmmm-must think of one....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

In an unprecedentedly unoriginal move, might I suggest the panda-esque name of Bamboo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

In an unprecedentedly unoriginal move, might I suggest the panda-esque name of Bamboo?

Bamboo-i love it!Ah my favourite thing to eat in the world!
    Will hold the christening ceromony in Hilpers on monday with some overprice coffee-only the best for my bamboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

tsk tsk not fairtrade :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Scraggs wrote:
    tsk tsk not fairtrade :p
    You can get Fair Trade in there, you know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i took out a student loan for my laptop and now im paying it off with a crappy part time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I can't imagine ever being able to afford a laptop while in college. The wireless system sucks half the time anyway, and you can't print off it if you don't have a windows machine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it uses IPP but i haven't been able to make CUPS talk to it. are you using Linux/straight-UNIX or Mac oS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I got a loan of half of the money from my brother, and I'm paying some of it back with my crappy job, and the rest I'll pay back in the summer, when I'm working full-time!

Red Alert, I'm running OS X, and it's kewl :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was lucky in terms of getting money for a laptop, mine was a gift for my 21st birthday last summer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I also got mine as a gift for my 21st, admittedly my uncle who gave it to me got by age wrong by a year as my 21st isn't until next August so I really got it for my 20th but I'm extremely grateful, otherwise I'd have been taking out a student loan to buy one in final year for my dissertation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Zephead

The whole computer room situation is mad. Especially when you have ppl looking at bebo when there are ppl waiting to do some real work on the computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Everywhere is short - I think a big problem is the moving of health sciences onto campus - there's only 25 computers in that building which has put a lot of pressure onto other computer rooms as they're regularly closed from 10 to 4 for msc in nursing students. When you think of how many students use that building it's insane. They decided to add no extra computers until the second part of the building is built but even in that the computer situation could be a problem, the computer room is going to be entirely in glass and it was issues with the adequate ventilation that put some delays on the building of the second stage.

*doink* a thought has just struck me as a wander around trying to find a place to print out stuff. Wouldn't is be a simple but effective measure to have a few computers here and there on which you could only access blackboard? That way people could log and and print off there notes and not get stuck waiting for ages just to print off a few lecture notes. Even if there was people waiting for these computers they'd get access a lot quicker. Although in saying that, if it's anything like printing in the terrace at the moment, because of the huge file sizes something would have to be done about printing speed.

Advertisement