Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Thanks for that quick reply. I found it interesting that I had that experience in the top room of the castle. That story which is a romantic tragedy is not surprising, and, if you find out anything else, I would love to hear it. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

my story is a little long and perhaps sounds a bit unbelievable , well it sounds unbelievable to me and it happened to me!

A couple of years ago i headed up to Cavan for a days lake fishing with a mate of mine, at the time I was training for a Triathlon and was sort of addicted to the training, so half hoping that the fishing would be slow I took my swimming gear with me so I could get an hours swim in.

Well we arrived at Whitewood lake and sure enough after a couple of hours there was nothing doing on the fishing front, so I walked around the lake for my swim, far away from my friend who was still fishing away (so i wouldnt disturb his fishing ) I got into the water and it was that pitch dark that lakes usually are, and the water is strange, you expect it to be salty or chlorine but the taste startled me so perhaps this strangeness, the darkness and the brackish taste of the water had an effect in my mind regarding what I "saw" later.

Well I began to swim and as anyone who's ever been into long distance sports, or any repetitive activity I soon zoned out, just concentrating on my stroke and getting into that "numb" brain stage. So I was literally just repeating in my mind my stroke, focussed on my technique and my breathing when, very suddenly I got a sharp sharp image of a woman deep beneath me under the water, drowned but looking up at me with her eyes open. I swear i've never gotten such a fright in my life - I could see the image for about 4 or 5 seconds, this woman looking at me from deep under the water. I nearly swallowed a huge gulp of lake water, i was terrified. It didn't feel good at all, the water didn't feel safe. I got a real sense of being somewhere I shouldn't be. So obviously as most sane people would do I turned around and swam the hell away as fast as i could, the image of the woman burned into my minds eye, I just kept my eyes closed on the way back to shore in case i saw her again.

I dried myself and put my clothes back on and returned to my friend. He was watching me swimming and said that I was like a rocket on the way back in! So I told him what had happened, what I'ld seen and he looked pretty skeptical to say the least.

About an hour later, both of us fishing away, when a local kid came traipsing across the field to us, this isn't unusual, locals often passing by ask how the fishing is going. "Nothing yet" says I. "well you know a few weeks ago they caught a skull over there" pointing over to where I was swimming.

I **** you not.

My mates jaw hit the ground, and I nearly fell over.

We asked the kid for more info - but he hadn't got any,and I've looked online with no results. So maybe he just said it. made it up.

But the whole experience converted me straight away, I;m quite sure that I saw - or even mentally "saw" if that makes sense, the ghost of a drowned woman in that lake.

Still, didn't catch any fish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shoefloozy

Hi, As an avid believer of all things paranormal (I should be as so many strange things have happened to me)I totally believe your story, I do believe that some spirits do try to warn us of danger. In yr case maybe the spirit u saw didn't want u there at her place of rest, who knows she may have been murdered or drowned there many many yrs ago?! I did a little digging on the web looking for deaths/fatalities at that lake, but came up with nothing i'm afraid!? Just keep an open mind in d future. L

ive looked online myself and found no record of anything in the lake, and i'm sure if someone dragged up a skull the police would have been involved.

Thats why i find the situation unbelievable and I try to rationalise it.

But i wouldnt swim there again if you paid me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

what lake was it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 unplugged

"Bad2dabone"

I believe you 100% on that story. That is exactly the way similar warnings happend to me. Walking home on my own at night and getting an image at a particular location which would make me rocket home just like you swam back. I think it was some kind of warning. If there was any death or skull found etc, it would be online some where, but it could be a spirit warning you of imminent danger in that lake, it could have saved your life. Very interesting.

I was told about locals seeing a white bright orb like light doing a dive over a road bridge into water, and a friend saw it on the anniversary of a lady's suicide off the same bridge.

Another friend at a lake feeding ducks got a very clear frightening voice with a message to leave the area at dusk and he did, later finding out it was the first anniversary of a lad who drowned there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FishFood

I have to say the vast majority of these stories all have something in common, the individual involved is alone and its generally dusk/dark.

Does nobody else simply find that it is in these precise situations that the human mind experiences fear/anxiety because of these factors and then ordinary objects become frightening or the mind will simply create the sensation/image of someone being present...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

bad2dabone wrote: »
    ive looked online myself and found no record of anything in the lake, and i'm sure if someone dragged up a skull the police would have been involved.

Thats why i find the situation unbelievable and I try to rationalise it.

But i wouldnt swim there again if you paid me!
    If the boy wasnt specific, it could have been an animal skull. You know how stories get embellished?

Funny you mention that zoning out. Thats the state of mind you need to reach if you want to connect to spirit, its a more subconcious state, where youre not really thinking of anything. So its interesting to me that you were in that zone when this happened.

it may well have been an animal skull - on the way home from the lake (it was Whitewood Lake btw) - my friend said the same thing.

In the years since it happened i've rationalised the experience saying similar things to what's been said here like I was alone and it was dark (in the water) and perhaps my mind just conjured it up but theres a part of my mind that knows it was real, can't explain it, but i know it happened.

Oryx maybe i'll try zone out more often

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Interesting story about the lake, I wonder if maybe she had drowned there but was listed as missing and her body was never found? Maybe she's frustrated at the lack of closure and was trying to tell you where her body was?! Just guessing. Could have been a warning either of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

If the Guards would listen to you, they should drag the lake, some poor soul could've been dumped there.

it makes you think of somewhere like the wicklow mountains where there are rumoured to be bodies dumped, I wonder if there are spirits hanging around there.

personally I think what I experienced was either:

My mind playing tricks
    or a spirit who drowned at the lake either warning me away from her resting place or trying to draw my attention towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

I was only a kid at the time but remember it well, one night about 3am my mom woke up with a start and screamed out, there's a man stood at the end of the bed looking at us,
    he's dressed in Edwardian style clothes and has a beard, my dad said, it's pitch dark, how can you see anything? he's still there she said, my dad said cross your eyes, she did, can you see two images he said, no she said only one, then it's all in your mind, if there were two images I'd be worried, as it is, it's only in your imagination...Go back to sleep...
    I always do that simple test as a reality check, if in doubt try it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

I posted this before in a thread, got no replies so here it is again.
    I am a firm believer. I have never experienced anything paranormal (EVER). I suppose that this is. My friends dad had died a week before from cancer. One day I was out working, I was at the end of the field at the back of my house. Carrrying a bunch of hedge clippings, I suddenly dropped the clippings and stood there. Suddenly, I shouted JJ are you here? I don't know why I said this, but as soon as I said that, a White butterfly appeared and flew around me. Also, three days before, my mother and my friends mother went to the grave of my friends dad. She said that a White butterfly had followed them down to the grave and stopped and landed on the grave. My mother told me this when I told her about my experience. It was a great feeling to know that he is watching us.

My mother always told me that a white butterfly was a sign that someone had gone to heaven.

Also..
    We have one of those Glade Sense and Spray things in our bathroom. I was on my own in the house (of course) and I heard it going off. It was faint but I definitely heard it. I had gone about 10 mins beforehand and it has a 30 minute sleep mode so it doesn't go off for a while after unless you press the button. I passed it off as wind but the next time i went in there the window was closed and it was ready to go off again. Needless to say i was pretty freaked, being 11 years old.

I can't believe I never thought of posting this...I'd like to know what you all think...Was it a child's imagination, I don't think so. When my 9yr old was about 3 or 4 he went through a period of coming into our bed in the middle of the night. He told me that a bald man used to pass him on the landing most nights:eek:..

He said he'd come out of the room that's to the right of his own room and pass him out on the landing, would turn into my room ahead of him and disappear. He said he'd have to stand against the door of the hot press to let this man pass, he'd look up at him but he'd stare ahead as if he didn't even see him.

He wasn't afraid of this figure which was odd because he was afraid of the dark and the thought of ghosts. We questioned him a few times over it and his story was always the same, he said he was bald and had no clothes on but had no bum or willy (?). He still remembers it and told me yesterday he looked a bit like Dr Manhattan a Marvel character and that he could see through him.

Another time I was sitting on the sofa when he was about 2 1/2, he got up off the floor came over and kissed me on the cheek, I said 'What was that for?' He said 'My grandad told me to give you that' (my father died 3yrs before he was born).

Another day around the same time he said to me 'I'm going to go to playschool one day and it'll be fun'. I asked him who said that to him, surprised 'cos I hadn't even been thinking about schools.. and he said 'my grandad'..I said 'Where was he?'...he said 'in nanny's, on the ceiling.'

I've often read that the under fives have an ability to see spirits but as they get older they block them out. It was nice to hear about my dad being around but the baldy naked dude on the landing frightened the sh*te out of me:eek:.

Lol, imagine seeing a naked bald guy on your landing. I'm imagining a guy that looks like the trolley boy from hot fuzz lol

Its funny in the cold light of day but sometimes if I'm going to the bathroom at night, when I open the door the room he's supposed to come out of is facing me, It's in my head that he's there and I can't see him...the hair stands on the back of my neck. (the room he leaves is to the right and adjacent to my son's bedroom and directly facing the bathroom)

Now that you mention it, I'd be so freaked out if I saw the trolley boy from hot fuzz walking past me in the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Smau5

OK, for the record, I don't believe in ghosts ... well at least I don't think I do ... but here's my story, you can interpret it as you wish!

This happened me about two years ago. I was living in a rented house.

One night I was in bed, and I woke up about two in the morning. I can't remember if I was dreaming before I woke, but I woke up and there was a boy (aged about four or five) standing in the room. The room was dark, with no windows (major fire safety hazard, I know), but I could see the boy clearly ... he wasn't glowing as such, but I could still see him. He was blond, wearing dark shorts and a white shirt. He looked very ... solemn, I suppose.

Well, he sat down on the single bed beside me, looking at me. I could feel his weight coming down onto the bed, and I grabbed my phone (which was under my pillow) and dived down under the covers. My heart was going so so fast, I was terrified, I wanted to scream but no one else was in the house. I was thinking totally logically through all of this, by the way, it certainly didn't feel like a dream. After a few minutes I felt the weight lifting off my bed where he'd been sitting, and I phoned my boyfriend. I was absolutely bawling crying, he couldn't come in to me from his house because he'd been drinking and couldn't drive, but he eventually convinced me to get out from under the covers and turn on the light. There was no one there. I stayed up reading for the rest of the night. I actually stayed in the house a couple more weeks after that, and nothing else odd happened.

Anyways, I started a new job in that town shortly after all this happened. One day on lunch break, we were discussing paranormal experiences in general. This episode had really stuck in my mind, so I told my colleagues about it. Long story short, there was a man working there who was in his forties, and had grown up just down the road from the house. When he was four, his twin brother died after being knocked down by a truck. The truck driver lived in the house I'd been staying in, and the boy had been knocked down right outside that house. The man brought in a photo of himself and his brother, and they both looked just like the boy I saw.

I'm not one to read a lot into these things. I'd be much happier to think it was just some sort of coincidence. But I can't think of a logical explanation for what happened that night!

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's views on this ...? In particular, isn't it unusual that the boy (assuming it was a "ghost") would appear in the truck driver's house rather than his own?

You don't believe in the paranormal after that? it's clearly bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My own experience happened in my bedroom.

About fifteen years ago, we had the attic converted into a bedroom and for most of that time it's been my room or I've shared it with my brother.

At the time of this story, the room was mine alone and with the way I'd arranged it, my bed was in the middle of the room, about equidistance from both walls. On the right hand side, I had a telly, a bookshelf and a desk and on the left, there was a couch and the stairs.

One morning I woke up about half six, which was about an hour earlier than I'd normally wake up on a school day. I don't know what woke me because everyone else was asleep. The water tank is in another part of the attic which is walled off from the room but if someone had used the toilet, the water tank would be making a lot of noise. It was silent at this time.

I had woken up facing to the right-hand side of my bed so I rolled over to the other side and tried to go back to sleep.

It was twilight outside and visibility wasn't great but I'm certain that when I rolled over to the left-hand side of my bed and looked across at my couch, I saw a blurred, grey, human-shaped figure sitting on it.

It's hard to put into words what I saw. Like I said, it was a human shape and it was completely grey but it wasn't clear, maybe because of the visibility. My couch was green but this figure was a different colour from the couch, even in the poor light I could see that and I could see its outline.

Anyway, I shut my eyes and forced myself back to sleep. When I woke about eight, I looked over at the couch and there was nothing there. No grey figure. No clothes piled on top of each other. Nothing else that I might've mistaken for the grey figure. It was completely bare.

Since then, there's been no recurrence of the incident, although the couch has been moved and where it was, there's now a big wardrobe.

I'm still up in the attic but the only thing that comes even remotely close to unnerving me about the room is sometimes at night I feel a bit uneasy and can't sleep for hours. I don't know why it is though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

your ghost's description is kinda like mine, though it decided to push my head into the pillow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I think your right! I often see flashes of light or sometimes light in the corner of my eye...kinda out of reach from my sight, like if I look to see it then its gone and I think these are my guardian angels making themselves known and making me aware of what Im doing at the time and to be careful. I love it when it happens.

That's funny you should say that. It's often happened to me where I have a negative thought about someone and next thing I get a jab of pain. I could think "I should have punched that person hassling me last week" and next thing I get a jab of pain in my finger. May I note that I don't have thoughts like these very often! Usually when I'm thinking about past arguments etc in my head. It's as if someone is giving me a pinch or something to say "No you should not do that!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 The Handy Hubby

Many people don't believe me when i tell this story but it is true. I wasn't the only one who experienced the poltergeist.

I was in a boarding school which was hundreds of years old. In 1st year you share a cubicle with 3 others. there are 2 bunk beds, one which has a really big long window at the end & the other with the door in at the end.

I was in the bottom bunk in the bed with the window at the end. the window had no curtain so on bright nights (moon out) you could see around a bit by the small bit of light coming in. On about 5 occasions the bottom of the bed would lift off the ground about 2 inches & start violently slamming up & down off the ground. The guy in the top bunk would be begging me to please stop, & i'd be there telling him it wasn't me. I would be able to see the end of the bed because of the window & there would be nothing there. The guy in the bed above me used to pee in bed.

Later in the school year we swapped beds with the guys in the opposite bunks. One night after lights out the other 2 guys were caught talking after lights-out & were brought to the prefect's office. I saw one of them (or so I thought) coming back in, so his profile as he walked by the window & got into the bottom bunk - my old bed, the one that used to lift & slam off the ground. I could see the the shape in of the person in the bed at first & I started asking him what had happened, had they been punished. I got no answer so i presumed that he wasn't talking because the prefect was still around.

About 5 minutes later the 2 guys walked in & got into bed. I was just a tad spooked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Ive never actually seen a ghost but for the last few months something quite strange has been happening in the early hours of the morning. It happens when im in a half awake, half asleep state so i can never figure out if im dreaming or if theres something more sinister going on. Anyway, heres what happens..

Its like theres a huge pressure being put on top of me, like theres something trying to crush me from above. I can actually feel the pressure and the panic as its happening. Its really very scary and I always wake up in a cold sweat and out of breath, like i was struggling.

The last few times it has happened, the most recently was actually just two nights ago, its like i was watching the entire thing. I could see a dark shadow flying around my room, almost black with pointy edges, and then i would feel this pressure again. I actually woke up screaming 'i dont believe in you' the last time it happened.

As i said i can never remember in the morning if this is all just a very vivid reaccuring dream or something more, but its something thats starting to worry me a bit. Hopefully somebody can shed a bit of light on it

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

thats called sleep paralysis and its quite common. google it, nothing sinister going on so dont panic but it can be scary when it happens, i've had it a couple of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

stepdoyle wrote: »
    thats called sleep paralysis and its quite common. google it, nothing sinister going on so dont panic but it can be scary when it happens, i've had it a couple of times

Oh okay, makes sense i suppose. My mind must just be going overboard thinking about it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ive never actually seen a ghost but for the last few months something quite strange has been happening in the early hours of the morning. It happens when im in a half awake, half asleep state so i can never figure out if im dreaming or if theres something more sinister going on. Anyway, heres what happens..

Its like theres a huge pressure being put on top of me, like theres something trying to crush me from above. I can actually feel the pressure and the panic as its happening. Its really very scary and I always wake up in a cold sweat and out of breath, like i was struggling.

The last few times it has happened, the most recently was actually just two nights ago, its like i was watching the entire thing. I could see a dark shadow flying around my room, almost black with pointy edges, and then i would feel this pressure again. I actually woke up screaming 'i dont believe in you' the last time it happened.

As i said i can never remember in the morning if this is all just a very vivid reaccuring dream or something more, but its something thats starting to worry me a bit. Hopefully somebody can shed a bit of light on it

Sleep paralysis alright, caused by stress amongst other things. Try not to sleep on your back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Shoop

Weird thing happened at my friend's house last week. He called two of us over to hang out in the evening, while we were sitting there he tells us about what happened earlier that day to him. Now His house has 2 stories in it, the sitting room below and above it the bathroom and bedrooms above. He usually lives with 3 others but they were all gone home that week for whatever reasons so he was alone there.

Anyway, he was saying that early that day he went upstairs to the toilet, but just as he reached the top of the stairs he saw a "misty kind of figure" walking down the hall :confused:. Myself and the other guy were quite sceptical about this but he was dead certain of what he saw.

He then says "Guys I swear it was a ghost" and just as he said the word 'ghost' we heard a massive thud upstairs. The House is semi detached so initially I thought it could have been from next door, but the sound was directly above our heads. Naturally we all freaked out and refused to budge, but after 10 minutes the courage was summoned to go upstairs and on the landing there was a book lying on the floor on it's own which my friend living there had never seen before. He was certain it wasn't there earlier and had never even seen the book before. There's no book shelf around for it to have fallen from and nobody to have put it there. Confusing, yes. When we went downstairs again to the sitting room the curtain on the window at the back was pulled across too which was jsut...wierd

Also, a bit of background information on the house. A few doors down there's a local legend that there's a poltergiest which is debatable of course. On top of that a few weeks back my friend pretended to use a ouiji board he drew himself and was shouting for spirits to come out etc. not sure if thats the reason though, although it did freak me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

paranormal wrote: »
    well if you are happy there and dont feel threatened there is no need to do anything about it .but no harm in keeping us updated on your experiences :)

Well here is an update, i was told this week that im surrounded by angels and spirits, and that there is one particular spirit in my house minding my child. I was told this by accident really, just some one i met, (no appointment looking for info, ive never done that!!)

I was told its all positive, nothing negative, and was told a few things about my future. Interesting.

Some dreams i had recently also came true this week, and ive had two more which aren't so nice so im hoping they don't come true

Have any of you heard much about the angels? I've never really believed in angels, i suppose i had no reason to, as i don't believe my experiences have been linked to angels as such....

just wondering would you put spirits and angels into the same category?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

Ok so about 17 years ago my brother was about 6 and he got up at about 3 in the morning to use the loo and knocked a coat in the hall on his way out. Everybody was in bed and he didn't bother picking it up as he was in a hurry!
    When he came out of the bathroom 2 minutes later the coat was hanging up again! He swears that happened.

Anyway i was chatting to a friend on the phone last saturday and was on my own in the house. i heard something like a heavy coat fall back the corridor and rolled my eyes! So i headed back to pick up what had fallen. Nothing was on the floor anywhere in the house. Evrything was just as it should have been. At least if there's a ghost in this house he picks up after himself!!

Advertisement