Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

Hi All,

Well I have read through the entire thread and WOW!!! I don't really have time at the moment to talk about my own experiences, but I will be back soon to post. Just wondering, has anybody watched celebrity ghost stories on bio and if you did what did you think??? I don't watch any of those 'ghostly reality' shows like ghost hunters or most haunted, but I must say I've really enjoyed this..Look forward to sharing my stories soon,
    Eamor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Ok ive had afew strange ones in my time.

1st: Me and some friends were bunking school in an old workmans hut, where we used to drink at the weekends. Was at the back of an old house. Sourounded by forest and high walls. 3 of use made up a board and asked if anyone was there.................etc. We used a coin and and all our fingers were on it. After awhile it started to move.. we blamed each other for moving the coin at 1st. Then we all smelt pipe smoke and taught we were after been found. So went outside. Noone was around. But the smell of pipe smoke was still around.

2nd: Me and 3 friends went up to the jumping church on 2 bikes, with video cam to do a vid on local history. We were there afew mins when it became to dark to film. So the 2 friends said the would take the bikes to one of their homes to get a tourch.

This left me and Paul alone

in the graveyard in the dark. Sitting on the wall of the ruin. Out of knowhere we both seen a gray figure moving at the bottom of the graveyard. We freek out and run out onto the road. Still see the figure moving in the graveyard and then he comes out. I say "hello" he never looks at us. Just walks into the darkness of the night. At the same time, we see tourch lights, at the top of the road where he vanished into.

On the straight road between us , and them on the bikes, they seen noone on the road.

The 2 lads were after getting 5 puntures on my bike and thats why they took so long to get back, to us.:eek:

3: While a college in Sligo, me and the GF at the time rented a flat out the back of an old house. We had a cat as a pet, and one night the cat came into the kitchen/sitting room, from the bedroom and hissed. Hair raised etc. Me and the GF were on sofa watching TV. We wondered what was up with cat. The cat slowly went over to the armchair beside us and you could see her sniff the air around the chair. The cat even slowly moved to the chair and put her front paws onto the seat and kept sniffing, the cat wouldnt even look at us when we called her name!

Few weeks later. My bro and his girlfriend came to visit. We had afew drinks before we went out and I left my glass on the table. When we got home later. My glass was all over the room. Base or the glass was still on table, but glass all over the floor! it was like it exploded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Bout a year and a half ago was staying in my nans with my gf. My nan had died the previous year. Anyway my gf sees things quite often and describes them as sparks but is then able to get a picture of a person and names from this "spark".
    Anyway we were sitting watching tele and saw one of these sparks above the telly. There was a picture of my great grand mother there before and it was also her house before my nan moved into it. I went to stand and check it out and then she told me it wasnt there anymore that it was right next to me. She got the name marie. My great grans name was anne-marie. This is when i started gettin very freaked out. I showed her about 50 pictures. She didnt just pick out my great gran. She picked out the exact picture which was above the telly. She never met my nan or great gran(who i never met) and hadnt been in the house before the picture was taken down. I have been told by various clairevoyents(dunno how to spell it) that various "energies" are very likely to follow me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bluebell35

I think the reality shows like most haunted etc.. are mainly fabricated crap, the crew have a few hours to come up with some ghostly sightings and if they don't I presume they make some happenings up having said that I completely believe in ghosts and hauntings.

I lived in a house for about four months this year that was so haunted it would leave the most sceptical person convinced, my sister thinks ghost and such is total rubbish so I asked her to come and stay over a night hoping she would talk me around and convince me the place wasn't haunted, she didn't sleep a wink, got up at 7 in the morning and ran out of the place. She didn't visit me again until I moved out.

It was a very old house that was extended in the past few years. The attic was full of bats that screeched constantly. The bedroom in the older side, when we walked in the air was so heavy we could hardly take a breath, we felt like we would vomit if we didnt leave, when we were walking out of the room it felt like there was pressure behind us as if somebody was walking very close to your back. I would be downstairs doing whatever with nobody else in the house and upstairs there was sounds like heavy furniture being dragged across floorboards, when I went up there was nothing moved and this is a stand alone house in the country side. One night my children were staying in their friends house and I was lying in bed with my four yr old son (there was nobody else in the house) when I heard footsteps like mens work boots walking down the lenght of the hall and stop outside my bedroom door, the door was open and I sat up in bed looking but there was nobody there. I was convinced I was being burgled. That was it I packed and left I can't even drive past it now without getting goosebump.

I'm a believer in ghosts and hauntings but was never afraid of anything like that before living in this house. Whatever was there felt evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I think the reality shows like most haunted etc.. are mainly fabricated crap, the crew have a few hours to come up with some ghostly sightings and if they don't I presume they make some happenings up having said that I completely believe in ghosts and hauntings.
    I like Most Haunted. Great entertainment and they aren't going to film a 'ghost' (we would be lucky lol) but no paranormal group has caught 100% evidence of an apparation from my knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Personally I dont like most haunted but I do watch paranormal state and ghost hunters and find them very entertaining. I don't believe they are very reputable but it's good to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Bajingo wrote: »
    Personally I dont like most haunted but I do watch paranormal state and ghost hunters and find them very entertaining. I don't believe they are very reputable but it's good to watch.
    Agree mate.

People can say what they want about Most Haunted but its entertaining and lots of people watch it :)

No paranormal programme i know has caught any 100% evidence of an apparation. Northern Irelands greatest haunts is great too. Look em up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pearl star

Ive spent the last 3 days looking over this...some great reading...

My first experiences were as a child.. i used always leg it upstairs at night because i was sure i was being followed, i can also remember sitting in our hallway and seeing an old woman float from our kitchen to downstairs bedroom, this used always happen...

Then when i was about 9 my grandfather passed away... i remember in the funeral home seeing him move in the coffin...turning winking and nodding then he was gone, i was told i was mad but to this day im still convinced.

There was nothing else for years until i was 18 and living in a house in Jersey in the channel islands... this was a 6 story house with about 30 bedrooms... we were sitting on the stairs one evening and i was looking up the stairs at my friends, i remember feeling like i was floating and totally freaking out because of what i could see behind them but i couldnt describe it... then there was nothing for a few years, bar of those the movements in the corner of my eye etc.,

I started meditating about 4 years ago... where i saw a woman in a long white gown the following night while meditating i met a very sinister man... i ended up having what i think now was sleep paralysis where he held me down... meditated the following day and asked him to leave.

Then over the past year alot more has been happening... We lived in an apartment in limk city and i always felt there was something dark there... i never could get comfortable there and there was always a very dark feeling... we found out later someone was shot in a pub that used to be where the apts now are.

Then we moved to a house in a much older part of limerick... there has been loads going on there... footsteps upstairs banging...shadows...ive even seen an old man and woman but they are always laughing... things are always going missing and reappearing an hour or two later.. then one night out of nowhere i looked out the back window and as clear as day could see a man in a mask... a middle age kind of mask!..

There have also been other occasions where i have been somewhere public and id see a person and then beside them id see or feel someone else.. i remember once at a dance competition we were watching and the was an older guy on stage and behind him was an old woman that looked in her 80's laughing giggling and dancing behind him...it brough t a smile to my face...there have been plenty of other times where i have seen or heard or felt things.

Another night we were sitting in our house myself and my mother...talking and all of a sudden her face changed...i dont mean expression wise... i mean changed...into an older man... apparently mine changed aswell.... we sat there jsut watching each other for ten minutes as our faces changed and described each change to each other.

i was also at a friends house last christmas... the house is a stately home about 200 yrs old and we were up in the bedroom.... she was taking forever to get ready....apparently it was the old coal room .... as i found out afterwards... i was lying on the bed reading a book... when i looked up and there was an older man standing there in a suit however i could only see up as far as his shoulders ... it was an old suit but he had such presence .... so tall, and broad. i said hello but no answer..he then dissapeared...

Another time we were in donegal at a friends house...she had just moved in... i walked upstairs and within minutes i coulld see at the doorway a polish guy in his late 20's and i had a name for him but i cant remember it now.... he just stood there for a few minutes and then he was gone!

The most recent one was in a bar in limerick... an older bar near one of the bridges into the city... we had heard from the owners its supposedly haunted...anyway this night there was a gig on.... we went upstairs to the function room and i walked into the back room thenout again and i could see someone in the corner...so i just walked back in the room and as soon as i turned i could see whoever it was popping there head around the corner of the door!...I was sitting at the bar one night.... no drink was taken on any of these nights.... i dont like to drink as the hangover is sooo not worth it lol....anyway sitting at the bar...i was jsut relaxed...i wanted to be the only person in there .... a wave of such calm came over me.... i could have shut my eyes and stayed there feeling like that forever

I guess it gets to the point where you actually think your missing a few bolts in the head...once you get to this point its hard not to be logical and think well obviously i have a huge imagination, but when you experience these things it is hard to peg it down to just imagination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I'd love to know the addresses of all these places, so that I can avoid living in any of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

Magenta wrote: »
    I'd love to know the addresses of all these places, so that I can avoid living in any of them!

ya me too.... alot of the areas mentioned above were in limerick , im from limerick too and there are certain areas well known to be a bit spookey..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pearl star

Elbi wrote: »
    ya me too.... alot of the areas mentioned above were in limerick , im from limerick too and there are certain areas well known to be a bit spookey..

Henry st and wolfe tone st up by the monument

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

I have been reading this thread for awhile and I find the stories very good reading!I feel compelled to share a few stories with ye.Bear in mind I have seen and heard about alot of weird ****!

1:I was about 15 or 16 at the time.I remember it being a Friday night because my mother and my little sister and brother were in the sitting room watching the Late Late Show.My dad and my other brother were gone out hunting.Anyway I was wrecked tired from a weeks worth of school and decided to head to bed early.I had managed to drift off for half an hour or so but was suddenly awaken to a "presence" in the room.I was terrified to move.Then something started hissing and whispering into my ear.I felt like this thing was threatening me but I couldn't understand a word of it and after about thirty seconds it stopped.I finally got courage to get out of bed and switch on the light.There was nobody else in the room.

2:Again when I was a teenager myself and my little sister witnessed a "fog" in the room. My sister was young enough at the time and she had a night light at her side of the room.It was a really dim light but at the same time you could see alot in the room.I remember waking up but for what I don't know.I heard my sister call out to me then and I answered.She then asked the weirdiest question of all "Why is there fog on the roof?" I looked up at the ceiling and there was a heavy mist covering the whole ceiling.I jumped out of bed,switched on the light and the fog stayed there.I saw this thing in bright light and knew I was not imagining things.I got my sister out of the room and we went to sleep in the sitting room that night.We told out parents what happened but my mother didn't seem interested and my dad seemed abit bemused by it.(however this man is no stranger to weird encounters either so I was surprised by his reaction!)

3:When I was about 9 myself and my two brothers had to share this same room.(We lived in a very small house with a really bad extension)They had a double bed at the time and had my own double bed.It wasn't as big as their one but you could fit two people in it.Sometimes at night I would get scared and end up climbing into their bed and sleeping at the end.I would however wake up back in my own bed in the morning.I always thought my mother would check on us before she went to bed and it was her putting me back in my own bed.However one night I had woken up and the house was dead quiet.I knew my parents were gone to bed.I felt an overwhelming sense of dread and couldn't stick staying in my own bed so I went over to the two boys and fell asleep at the end of their bed.I awoke again later but I did not open my eyes.For some reason I knew I was back in my own bed and what's more I had company.I could feel someone lying in the bed beside me.I was terrified and wouldn't open my eyes.However I reached out and I grabbed this things hand and held it.Don't ask me why but I did and I remember it was freezing cold!

I have loads more of this weird things but I think I'll post em some other time!
    I have come to the conclusion that alot of the freakier things that have happened me were when I was a kid/teenager.I used to believe in ghosts big time when I was a kid.My beliefs are still strong in ghosts and all that but these days I am willing to explain em away.However these three events I cannot explain and anyone I have met be they cynic/skeptic/realist and have told these stories to cannot explain either.And on another note,friends of mine who have stayed in my house recently and gone by have all said that there is a weird atmosphere in the house.People have seen weird shadows pass in front of them or in some cases gotten awful bad shivering spells..even when the heating is on full blast in the house.I am opened minded to suggestions but as I said..some of the things I have said cannot be explained!
    Hope ye enjoyed reading them anyway!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I was logged in and had just written out a long, in depth account of all my unexplained experiences, i clicked submit and then it went to the log in page.

So here is the quick version.

Walking through a field/football pitch in broad daylight, spot a old woman dressed like Peig in the middle, glance away and she is gone by the time i look back. There is nowhere she could have disappeared to in the time it took for me to glance away and back.

Second. In my teens, me and my g/f of the time tucked away in the corner of a park when she sees a male figure walk past and away from us. I didn't see a thing but she said he was within 4 feet of us and he came from a direction that he couldn't possibly have come from without climbing a wall, which we would have noticed. I'd have brushed it off as nonsense but she was genuinely terrified. She freaked out.

Third. About a month ago i placed my guitar down to leave the room and when i got to the door the bottom string of the guitar rung out loud and cleanly in a way that it could only ring out if plucked. I have no idea how that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

TK123 - I'm kinda like you I think. I feel it but don't want to address it.
    I always get a weird feeling or sense - and then something happens. I haven't tuned myself into it enough to identify the feeling? Maybe I should maybe I could prevent events :)

I used to feel a lot 'presences' and always got weirded out by them. My Mam used to say, it's not the dead you need fear it's the living. She passed away 3 years ago now and I no longer feel these presences!
    I did feel hers a lot when she passed. Not so much now. But she is around and she sends me some signs. A load of events and happenings in my life so unaccountable for under 'regular' circumstances, but if you believe she is behind them, then it all seems possible.

I also have smells - which is VERY strange as I actually have no sense of smell, in that I can not smell a curry, or a fart! But I can 'smell' things when no one else can!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

Hey all,
    I haven't had the pleasure of being on boards in a good few months - well properly to read these stories so I have been catching up.

Anyhoo , I've been living with friends of the family we used to live (my family and i) right next door years ago a good 17 maybe more.

I haven't had any incidents happen to me with the spiritual world , until recently.
    Again I'm not sure if it's my brain going into over-drive, as well I know myself this does happen, i watch a scary a film and the littlest noise sets my mind alight ha ha ha yes quite silly actually.

Moving on - I've been living here since the 13th of sept and have heard many things over these months. I've put most to the back of my head thinking 'oh yea lisa u silly silly wagon you're imagining things.' Don't get me wrong, I have a great passion for paranormal activity pardon the pun (that film was ****e!) and such but most of the time I like to believe it isn't real , as like i've said my brain goes into auto-pilot!

About two weeks and living here, the windows in this house as it's rather old my bedroom window in particular didn't have a latch (it's not been fixed woo warm rooms at last!)so on windy nights and we've had our fair share last year,it would open really really wide - I kept seeing a figure just behind the curtains, i cannot really explain it. I thought at first it may be the street lights but i'm not 100% sure now.

I have issues with sleeping my pattern is always out , i have suffered insomnia even as a child, so i'm used to the dark nights and such, anyhoo these 'figures' just an outline of a human head which is impossible as this is a 2story house not attached and my bedroom of course is up high to fall from this window you'd do lovely damage to yourself lol. at 3:04am for 2 weeks every night except on a wednesday night i'd see this figure at first i was like 'omg omg omg' diving under the duvet or moving the laptop so i couldn't see. i'd look back again when i'd tried to be logic about it give or take 10/15 seconds and it's not there, so i'd put it down my over active imagination.

Nothing happened between then and 2010 - I came back on the monday the 4th and after chit chatting with my housemates (i call these people my housemates lol) i went upstairs and unpacked my suitcase , it's what i normally do routine and that. heaved my suitcase onto my bed unpacking my clothes, clothes go everywhere until its empty and that was fine the room was freezing there was like an heavy thick mood or something i cant find the word like heavy thickness of air circulating? i ignored it and put it down to not being here so u know. picking up the thrown clothes on my bed, they were warm .... i was like wtf? and put my hand on my bed it's warm really really warm. I saw that the electric blanket was on. I know for a fact i turned it off 2 weeks prior and I know nobody was staying in my room, i asked housemates and they swear nobody was in my room since i left. I turned it off - packed my other suitcase as I was going away later that night and got into bed for a quick nap. I woke about an hour later, I was much tired and needed at least 3 hours i had 8 before traveling again, but I woke anyways. Head creeks on the landing and thought it was the others in house. Got up, went downstairs and there was nobody to be found.

Third and final incident is recent enough - at present my pattern is out wayy out, i went to sleep this morning at 8am and woke at 1pm. I decided to actually leave the house, **** the snow and went shopping the center is so close by why not i thought. I met with friends for coffee in starbucks and as packed as the shop was, by the door I could see a head figure again, the same one i saw in the bedroom - I said to my friend 'i think im going crazy im seeing heads everywhere' she took it as a joke and thought i meant the numberous people within SB's - I continued our conversation and ignored everything else around us. I went home and nobody was around, turned on the television , went to the kitchen to make a cuppa as the kettle was going i could hear creeks on the roof outside usually the noises you hear when it's been raining like lil droplets, the cooker the center of it (it's besid the kettle) i felt a draft, i did that hand thing over the entire thing checking areas for where the draft is, it was just the center. I had a fag and hear loud footsteps upstairs, the room above me nobody sleeps in it's the spare room - the cat is only one who goes in there, but he was in the living room asleep, plus it was heavy thuds, like an angry stomping. I rolled my eyes and turned on the radio. 10 or so minutes laters I went back into the living room, watching brainless crap off goes the doorbell.

Some random man stood at my door, asking me to keep the noise down that for the past 2 hours his wife and himself had to put up with MY banging on the walls putting up what he assumed as pictures. I told him Im literally home the past 10/15mins and gave him a look of wtf are u talking about. He apologised and left. Now I will mention even though these houses are old and stand alone with the bush between the house like there is space - I can hear that neighbour poke at there fire and it can be annoying.. but he left and I rang my housemates and asked but one was at work and the other left the house at 10am this morning and hasn't been back since, neither were back. I wasn't there, I thought the old man was going crazy. I mentioned it to the housemates tonight and they said it's a first for the man to complain like they know the neighbours so well, it's not like Michael to complain. I'm tempted to go over and apologise for my rude attitude earlier and ask what kind of noise he heard ha ha ha.

It's coming up to my grandmothers bday she'd be 81 on the 14th - I was speaking about her quite a bit yesterday to my friend when he was over. I text him this evening to tell him what happened, and he keeps saying 'maybe the old mans going crazy or you have an unwanted vistor' the mother of this family died here too years ago in '97 from cancer. I can't really remember her. The people i live with are in their mid 40's like the woman i live with her daughter and i grew up together her daughter lives in S.A tho. I'm staying in her room for the year.

SORRY FOR LONG POST -
    I don't know what to put it down as, the bit with michael complaining when nobody was here is the freaky bit for me, the rest i can put out of my mind, anyone care to shed some light on it all (that's if you've managed to read it all lol)

EDIT: I can't find where I typed it but in fact these houses are attached my mistake - also this house is 50+ years old.
    Don't know anything about previous owners to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

iv had one or two shady moments the most standout one which convinced me 120 per cent that there defiently is something after death is:

my grandad won a watch in a dart competion in the 1960's, he never once had to change the battery ever and when he passed away 2 years ago in 07 you never guess what happned the watch stopped at the exact same time as my grandad died! to me and my family that just prooves there is something after death.

my other experiences apart from having quite a few violent nightmares involving spirits, up to about 3 years ago i used to wake up during the night feeling that i was being pinned down on the bed altough i felt awake my eyes were closed but i could see everything around me in my bedroom this happned at least 5 times where i had to fight of this feeling of being pinned down it was just a huge pressure on top of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

wel if he's not a ghost id say get out of this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

iv had one or two shady moments the most standout one which convinced me 120 per cent that there defiently is something after death is:

my grandad won a watch in a dart competion in the 1960's, he never once had to change the battery ever and when he passed away 2 years ago in 07 you never guess what happned the watch stopped at the exact same time as my grandad died! to me and my family that just prooves there is something after death.

my other experiences apart from having quite a few violent nightmares involving spirits, up to about 3 years ago i used to wake up during the night feeling that i was being pinned down on the bed altough i felt awake my eyes were closed but i could see everything around me in my bedroom this happned at least 5 times where i had to fight of this feeling of being pinned down it was just a huge pressure on top of me!

the nightmare isnt spirits its a phenomenon known as Sleep paralysis. google it and you'll see its quite common. very terrifying but not supernatural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

anybody ever seen the headless ghost of buck jones, which is said to haunt the streets around croke park? any details on that one? would be interesting...i basically believe ghosts could exist yet have never seen one myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

anybody ever seen the headless ghost of buck jones, which is said to haunt the streets around croke park? any details on that one? would be interesting...i basically believe ghosts could exist yet have never seen one myself...

I dont have any details but i do have it listed on http://www.paranormal.ie
    Buck Jones
    Type: Haunting Manifestation
    Further Comments: Riding headless on the back of a white horse, this phantom is named as Buck Jones, former City Sheriff (though the man died in a debtor's prison).

I've added a section to the site too where people can submit their own experiences/encounters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

6th wrote: »
    I dont have any details but i do have it listed on http://www.paranormal.ie

I've added a section to the site too where people can submit their own experiences/encounters.

Cheers, nice site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Zillah wrote: »
    Cynics will say they don't exist, sceptics will ask interesting questions so we all get a better understanding!

Hey, just came across this thread. I am a sceptic on all this. I have been very interested in this type of thing all my life and have travelled around europe to have a look first hand. Alot of times disappointed, however sometimes not.

My first and really only baffling experience came when I was about 15. I woke up about 2.00 in the morning, and started hearing creaking floor boards in the dining room downstairs (not eerie ghosty ones, but that of someone walking around quietly). I was convinced there was a burgular so I was really listening to the movements. After about five mins of nothing, there was a crash downstairs in what sounded like the sitting room (sounded like everything had been knocked of the mantle). I got up, and at the same time my dad was out as he heard the crash as well. We both went downstairs and found absolutely nothing out of place, doors and windows closed. I checked the dining room and nothing there either. When I checked the lounge I saw what looked like two wet patches like footsteps, but put it down to just the light and it being late. I went back to bed and woke up bout half hour later and saw out of the corner of my eye in the window above my door a man hunched looking in, he must have had to be bout 10' to do it. Looked again and nothing. The next morning I had a look in the lounge again and there were a few bits of grass in the spots where I thought I saw footsteps. Bout a week after I came across a book of old Irish folklore that should a drawing of exactly what I saw. Tall man sightings that were associated with Banshee's that were most commonly seen in Cork/Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

stepdoyle wrote: »
    the nightmare isnt spirits its a phenomenon known as Sleep paralysis. google it and you'll see its quite common. very terrifying but not supernatural.
    Anecdotal to this thread, but an interesting thing I learnt about sleep paralysis last week, is that you can sometimes in your dreams be aware of it and it happens in the dream. I've woken up to SP a few times over the years and apart from the first (I was young at the time and told my parents, they then explained SP) it's never been a scary experience. But last week I had a dream where I woke up and was could move and then got dragged out of the bed, I'm working with a psycharicist at the moment for some other issues and have been telling her my dreams, she was saying that sometimes your body can be aware of the paralysis when you're asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Hey, just came across this thread. I am a sceptic on all this. I have been very interested in this type of thing all my life and have travelled around europe to have a look first hand. Alot of times disappointed, however sometimes not.

My first and really only baffling experience came when I was about 15. I woke up about 2.00 in the morning, and started hearing creaking floor boards in the dining room downstairs (not eerie ghosty ones, but that of someone walking around quietly). I was convinced there was a burgular so I was really listening to the movements. After about five mins of nothing, there was a crash downstairs in what sounded like the sitting room (sounded like everything had been knocked of the mantle). I got up, and at the same time my dad was out as he heard the crash as well. We both went downstairs and found absolutely nothing out of place, doors and windows closed. I checked the dining room and nothing there either. When I checked the lounge I saw what looked like two wet patches like footsteps, but put it down to just the light and it being late. I went back to bed and woke up bout half hour later and saw out of the corner of my eye in the window above my door a man hunched looking in, he must have had to be bout 10' to do it. Looked again and nothing. The next morning I had a look in the lounge again and there were a few bits of grass in the spots where I thought I saw footsteps.

That's funny (not 'funny ha ha'), because I had a fairly similar experience when I was 16 - except it happened during the daytime and I didn't find any footprint markings afterwards.

I was in the house alone after coming home from school and I was making my dinner. There were no pets indoors - the dogs were kept outside. I had the radio on but its volume was at a normal level. Out of the blue, I heard the sound of someone walking around the sitting room. Heavy, purposeful steps that would be more likely to be men's footsteps than a woman's (unless she was built like a tank :p). The walking around I could hear was as clear as the day and the sky outside. The sitting room was next to the kitchen but you had to walk down a short hallway to go in there.

My first thought was "Sh*t - burglar", so I reached for a makeshift weapon (sweeping brush handle :rolleyes:) and prepared to go forward and take this f*cker on. A few times I called out, "Hey! Who's that?!" but there was no reply and yer man kept walking around the sitting room, by the sounds of things.

In the meantime, I heard this bloke walk from the sitting room into the bathroom, which was across from it. I heard him fiddling with items in there, some of which sounded like the toothbrushes in the holders by the sink. I started to make my way down the hall when, all of a sudden, the noises stopped. Nothing.

So I checked all the rooms of the house and looked out the windows to see if I could see anyone, but nothing. Anyway the only window that had been open was a small one in the kitchen. Nobody could have squeezed through that, and I would have fcuking seen them anyway because I had been in there for a good 30-40 minutes before the noises began.

The only 'evidence' I found after all the ruckus had died down was that all of the toothbrushes were lying in the sink in the bathroom. They couldnt have fallen down into the sink of their own accord because there were stainless steel horizontal bars that kept the toothbrushes in their slots.

To this day, I dont know what/who it was and it makes no sense to me either because I know that nobody had ever died in that house.
    Bout a week after I came across a book of old Irish folklore that showed a drawing of exactly what I saw. Tall man sightings that were associated with Banshee's that were most commonly seen in Cork/Munster.

Again, that's funny because the house I grew up in was in Cork. I dont know about a tall man (never got the chance to see him/it) or large footsteps (never saw any imprints afterwards), but the footsteps I heard were pretty weighty and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Both of those stories just creeped me right out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I used to work as a waitress in a big old country golf club house. I was allowed to use the computer in reception when the receptionist was finished and all the members and staff had left. Late one night when I was finishing I walked from the reception area into the dining room and I heard what sounded like a little kid running stomping their feet behind me on the wooded floor. The next day the head manager said that the club house was supposed to be haunted by a young boy that used to caddy. She said one time when she was upstairs she went out onto the balcony for a smoke and when she tried to get back in the door was locked so she turned around to go down the fire escape but when she turned around there was a young boy dressed in old golfing caddy uniform and he went by her, opened the door (that was locked) and disappeared when the door shut behind him (the door had panes of glass). This boy was also seen by staff and members who worked/used the mens locker room. Apparently, they would see him jumping up looking over the doors in the shower room.

I used to get a creepy feeling now and then in certain areas of the house. Especially upstairs and on the staircase. Again late at night I was uptairs walking down the hallway and I heard scratching coming from one of the doors and something at the door knob as if it was trying to be opened. But all of the staff from upstairs had gone home.

Also one of the nights the head bartender was walking passed the unlit meeting room and he heard whispering and went in and turned on the lights but the whispering stopped.

I've never seen anything myself and I would probably freak out if I did even though I feel like I'm always catching something out of the corner of my eye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

well let me start off with saying i'm not at all the most paranormally (if thats a word) educated person in the world but about 3 weeks ago something freaky happened.

I was doing a roofing job for my dad in Fitzwilliam square in one of those georgian houses,so on the first day there's just alot of preperation and checking the place out to do.I was on my way into the house after running to the van when a lady bout 60 odd met me at the front door and said "ah thats him,come on into the house i have a cup of tea on",so i went into the "parlour" as she called it and sat down,she was very nice and gave me biscuits and all,having a nice chat when she say's "oh god i almost forgot,see that bar there" (it was an iron banister bar all bent and out of shape compared to the others),"thats where my brother hung himself" with this i started getting a little bit disturbed and said my goodbyes and legged it back to the van and went on lunch.My dad met me then after lunch and we decided to go back inside when i said "i thought you told me there's nobody living here,its too unsafe to be on that roof with people inside" and he said "ah would ya shut up there's nobody living here,its been offices for the past 5 years",so i told him the story and I brought him around the house but in all the rooms,there was nothing but computers everywhere and the "parlour" was just a set in the reception dipicting the way the house was.

First of all what the hell is a woman of 60 doing in her pyjamas in vacant offices?,and has this ever happened to anybody else in these offices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

pmcmahon wrote: »
    well let me start off with saying i'm not at all the most paranormally (if thats a word) educated person in the world but about 3 weeks ago something freaky happened.

I was doing a roofing job for my dad in Fitzwilliam square in one of those georgian houses,so on the first day there's just alot of preperation and checking the place out to do.I was on my way into the house after running to the van when a lady bout 60 odd met me at the front door and said "ah thats him,come on into the house i have a cup of tea on",so i went into the "parlour" as she called it and sat down,she was very nice and gave me biscuits and all,having a nice chat when she say's "oh god i almost forgot,see that bar there" (it was an iron banister bar all bent and out of shape compared to the others),"thats where my brother hung himself" with this i started getting a little bit disturbed and said my goodbyes and legged it back to the van and went on lunch.My dad met me then after lunch and we decided to go back inside when i said "i thought you told me there's nobody living here,its too unsafe to be on that roof with people inside" and he said "ah would ya shut up there's nobody living here,its been offices for the past 5 years",so i told him the story and I brought him around the house but in all the rooms,there was nothing but computers everywhere and the "parlour" was just a set in the reception dipicting the way the house was.

First of all what the hell is a woman of 60 doing in her pyjamas in vacant offices?,and has this ever happened to anybody else in these offices?

Did the "parlour"/reception area look exactly the same the 2nd time you went in? What type of PJs was the old woman wearing, like were they old fashioned? Did you check and see if the iron bannister was still twisted? All those buildings are really old so I wouldn't be suprised if they had a bit of history. You could try and research the history to get some answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

Since this is such an interesting thread I thought I would add my own story.

I wouldn't exactly say I saw a ghost or anything, but it sure as hell freaked me out. I had this dream 2 or so times when I was younger...

I have 3 brothers, and we all decided to go from the sittingroom to upstairs and play a game, I was the last one out of the room and we are all laughing and joking on the way out of the room. On the way upstairs just before I get to the stairs suddenly all of my brothers stop, turn around and look at me, plain faced. I look at them and ask them what is it. No reply.

Suddenly I look down towards the hallway to my kitchen, its directly in front of me. The light was off in the kitchen and it was extremely dark and got darker as it led to the kitchen, then I could make an outline of a person.

He was wearing nothing but black, I could not see his face, yet I knew it was there. I could not see his hand properly but I knew he was standing there, pointing at me.

Then suddenly I wake up, my hand in the air pointing upwards.

The main thing the freaks me out is, there are a serious amount of simularities to the figure I seen, and Death, aka the Grim Reaper. As in the dark figure, the pointing etc.

At the time I was about 9 when I had the dream, by the time I was 12 however I had learned what the Grim Reaper actually was and I connected the two. Thats when the thought of this dream troubled me the most.

Other than that I have had many recuring dreams of seeing dead, rotting faces in mirrors, all in my kitchen strangely enough.

In on dream I actually knew it was coming and put down the mirror before I had a chance to look at it. Then suddenly it appeared in front of me out of no where and there it was again, another face looking back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Jane29 wrote: »
    Did the "parlour"/reception area look exactly the same the 2nd time you went in? What type of PJs was the old woman wearing, like were they old fashioned? Did you check and see if the iron bannister was still twisted? All those buildings are really old so I wouldn't be suprised if they had a bit of history. You could try and research the history to get some answers.
    yeah the area was the exact same,except there were no tea cups or anything out where we were drinking,even though i was the only one in the building (tidy ghost),she was wearing like a bed dress type thing,didn't exactly look old fashioned but wouldn't be the new hip thing either,just a greyish white type thing.The bannister was still bent,i remember this because i showed my dad.
    I'd love to find some death certs or something,but i know nothing about the "ghost" in terms or names and dates and such so i wouldn't know where to start.

Advertisement