Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Ziycon wrote: »
    now its possible the tape was faulty or recorded wrong.

Either that (most likely) or you were taping "Ghost in the Machine" by The Police.
    Either way, not paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Isard wrote: »
    A brave kid you were!:D

Balls of steel and nerves of iron, I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Its hard to put it in writing the whole situation, but honestly....there is no feckin way on God's earth they'd have went so quiet so fast!

Yeah, I see where you're coming from alright.

How many of them were in that room again? If there were only a few of them, it wouldn't take long to switch off the light, turn off the music and hop into bed.

Come to think of it, a guy could have been 'assigned' to do each of those actions - one guy to look after the light switch and another to sort out the CD player, so it'd be a near-seamless prank then.

You'd never know, like. I'm not suggesting you imagined it, but I'm just trying to figure it out.

EDIT: Okay, there were 6 lads in the other room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I had an odd experience as a child, i was about 12-13 and was copying a cassette tape onto another tape which I did regularly, pressed play on one and play/record on the other and went out of my room down stairs. I came back about 45 minutes later and played what was recorded to make sure all was done correctly, but instead on the songs there was loads of static and a very loud angry screaming sound, now its possible the tape was faulty or recorded wrong. My dad was on the stairs and came in and turned it off as I froze and that was it. Is asked my dad recently about it and he doesn't remember anything about it.

That is completely freaky. I used to always be afraid that that would happen to me when I'd record stuff, cos I heard of it happening now and again. Never did experience it though. So what exactly did the "loud angry screaming" sound like?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Well I've had an experience or two in my time, first one will be nice and short though, when I was about 6 years old in my original home in Wexford, I found myself in my fathers room rummaging through his stuff when I got a kind of a slap on the arse, it wasn't hard just like a warning not to be going through someone else stuff! :eek:
    Needless to say I jumped up with a start, turned around and noone was there. It was just myself and my mother in the house at the time and she was in the kitchen reading a paper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

I read many of the stories on this thread mostly out of boredom and I never thought I'd bother contributing as I believe only some of the stories and as for others I think there are some honors English contributions that get posted...
    My take on Ghost/ghouls is if they existed there would be a clear picture/evidence of a ghost that we could all share which says "in this picture you can clearly see there is a ghost" and everyone could agree the supernatural existed but we don't really have that...... as you can tell I'm a skeptic, having said that my sister has had encounters which have puzzled me to this very day... Ill share two stories, nothing as exciting as some earlier ones but one that I wanted to share.

In 1998 my sister finished her leaving cert and planned a holiday in Greece it was a two week holiday with her three best mates. Before the holiday one of her mates mum suddenly passed away and while they were going to cancel the trip all girls agreed they needed to get away. A few weeks passed and all the girls including the grieving friend decided to go on the sun holiday.
    On the second night there they were all getting ready to head out to a restaurant for dinner, whilst getting ready the grieving friend felt Ill and shortly after started crying, the two girls (incl my sis) tried to comfort the girl as she complained about being sick, she looked at my sister and said "I miss my mum" as she said this her mum appeared in a greenish face over the daughters for about 30 seconds! both my sister and the other friend jumped back and were lost for words, together both of them exclaimed, "Claire we can see your mum through your face"... As soon as this happened the girls face turned back to normal and she was feeling perfect again... They didn't go out that night but they talked about what happened and saw it as good thing, as her mum was with her or something along those lines... My sister wasnt the type to make fibs especially about the loss of her friends mate which is why I chose to believe as I trust the source.

Any ideas if that is a coincidence or is typical symptom of the paranormal...

Additionally when my sister was working and living in Ranelagh in Dublin she was living in a small apartment with a friend and she would see a girl pass her bedroom door in the dark, twice she had this spirit sitting at the end of her bed...
    While both girls chose to "befriend" the spirit it made me uneasy anytime I stayed over or was in there on my own, always expecting to see something or have some freaky ghost show herself to me but never saw a thing - Thank F***

I am still a non-believer until I see that "This is a Ghost" photo :D but said I'd share from my own family connections...
    Thats it from me, may the force be with you,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I saw two in a room in Donegal many years ago. I thought that they were two randoms that had walked into the room I was sleeping in and told them to get out. ( I was staying in someone elses house) The next day the person who lived there was really freaked out as there were no such people in the house and an ex girlfriend had previously described the same people appearing to her.
    He was renting the house and moved out within two weeks. I have always wanted to know more about it. All I can remember was that it was a bungalow on a hill about 15 minutes outside of Letterkenny. As I am not from the area, I have no idea where it was so cannot research further and I am no longer in contact with the guy that lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

seeing ghosts and ghostly presence is not that uncommon to me,but last week when on holiday in the village of haworth [the home of the bronte sisters] i had a strange sighting,the cottage i went in was very old,300+years,during the night about three thirty,i noticed a rather larger light than the usual light than you normally get with the presence of spirits,it was the size of a side plate,it had a faint orange glow ,and it moved slowly from my right to my left rising and dipping then it started to form into a black shadow of a person about five foot four in height, i felt it suddenly became aware that i was in the bedroom ,because it stopped materialising and vanished,shy ghost maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Seven years ago, I was awakened to the sound of three loud thumps on the french doors of my bedroom. It was about 6am on a moonlit January night. I sat bolt upright and could clearly make out the sight of a tall man in a top hat just standing there. I immediately froze, and felt the hairs rise on my neck. I was unable and unwilling to move for about a mintue, and then the figure seemed to glide away.
    I jumped out of bed, grabbed a hurley, ran up the corridor and opened the front door.
    I ran back to switch on the outside light, which exploded when flicked the switch. I grabbed a flashlight and headed outside to my window, checked the side of the house, but there was nobody there.
    The house is located in the country-there are also several dogs but none barked. I was quite uncomfortable after the experience and unable to sleep.
    At breakfast I related to the family what happened. It was brushed off, but within two months I fell seriously ill and effectively was fighting for my life. Soon after that my father fell ill, and died.
    Months later I spoke with my mother about what had happened. She said that at the time she was quite worried because in her family there was a tradition of someone knocking three times at either a door or window before someone in the house died, and that when I fell ill, it looked like the tradition was going to continue. Except that it was my father that died, not me.
    I'm a rational person, not religious but that incident is as clear to me as if it had happened this morning. Still unsure of what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

MOSSAD wrote: »
    I jumped out of bed, grabbed a hurley, ran up the corridor and opened the front door.
    I grabbed a flashlight and headed outside to my window, checked the side of the house
    Reading this thread I'm really impressed by how brave you people are! I think I'd have shrunk into a corner and screamed until someone else came:D

• Advertisement

When I was a kid and lived out in the country many years ago myself and my friend used to get up to all sorts of trickery. I remember one time I knicked a big long white silky blouse/night gown on my mam, we then secured it to a decent padded clothes hanger and tied it to the end of a line on a big solid beach caster fishing rod. We used to then hide in a field behind the ditch on the country lane where I lived and wait for a car or person walking to come along, we would then extend the gown to the tree level in full view of the road, swaying it over and back all mysteriously, it sounds simple but on a moon lit night on a dark country lane from the distance it looked real freaky, plenty of cars stuck themselves to the road and reversed back as hard as they could out of sight ! others just rolled there windows down and hurled abuse, we got plenty evenings of craic out of that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

I've a few stories of things that have happened, not to me specifically, but I've been there. The one that baffles me most happened a few years ago. I needed a floppy disk for school, but couldn't find one anywhere in the house. My mum said she had one that had a white sticker with her name written on it. I always remember knowing the disk she was talking about, I must of seen it lying about before. Anyway, we couldn't find it anywhere, and to be honest I wasn't that bothered about it, it wasn't that important. But I hadn't told mum that it was ok that I couldn't get it, and she's the kind of person that when someone needs something, she'll go out of her way to get it. So she was badly stressing out over the thing, trying to find it. Anyway, came to night time, I was sitting on the computer in my living room, everyone but mum was in bed, and she left me in shoes to try on. So after I did I left the shoe box on the arm of the chair to my left, mum went to bed and I went awhile after her (could of been 5 mins, could of been an hour, I dont remember), shut down the computer and all that. In the mornings mum always got up before everyone to get the breakfast started, and when she went in to open the curtains in the living room, the floppy disk was sitting on top of the shoe box. She said she took if for granted that I had found it and left it there, so she took it out and left it on the breakfast bar so I remembered to take it. It was only when I came down and told I hadn't left it there that we realized something weird was going on. No one in the house left it there. Its nothing overly freaky, we just aren't able to explain it. It's never scared me, because if it is anything paranormal, then it helped. And if it is paranormal I honestly believe its one of my grandads or my granny, so it's comforting if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

I had an odd experience as a child, i was about 12-13 and was copying a cassette tape onto another tape which I did regularly, pressed play on one and play/record on the other and went out of my room down stairs. I came back about 45 minutes later and played what was recorded to make sure all was done correctly, but instead on the songs there was loads of static and a very loud angry screaming sound, now its possible the tape was faulty or recorded wrong. My dad was on the stairs and came in and turned it off as I froze and that was it. Is asked my dad recently about it and he doesn't remember anything about it.

Well there's your problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I've got shadow men in my flat in Bolton.

One night - in the absolute dead of night - earlier this year I woke up and saw a shadowy "man" standing at the side of my bed. I was lying on my back when I woke, and I saw this human-shaped shadow standing at the side of my bed on my right seemingly watching me. I dived under the covers and thought: "How did this person get into the flat? The door was closed and so were all the windows." I continued lying there under the blanket. It was quiet and I could hear nobody walking around the flat. Eventually I came out from under the blankets and there was nobody there. Strangely, I wasn't that scared and I just rolled onto my left side - with my back to the open bedroom door and the dark hallway beyond - and went back to sleep.

Another night I woke up and found myself lying on my right hand side facing the open bedroom door. I decided to roll over onto my left hand side. This whole manoeuvre only took a few seconds. But, about halfway through performing this manoeuvre - when I was briefly on my back - I saw a shadowy being on my left hand side at the side of my bed out the left corner of my eye. It then darted quickly, and silently, to the other side of the bedroom to where my wardrobe is. I sat up in bed and peered into the darkness but it was dark and I couldn't see anything. I just lay down and went back to sleep. I remember the thing as having either a pointy head or wearing a pointy hat or hood.

This has made me too scared to peer into the dark living room in the middle of the night when I get up to go to the toilet in case I see something in there, standing in there or sitting on the sofa. There is definitely something in the flat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

In 1999, when I still lived with my parents, my younger sister, who was about 8 at the time, was sitting in her mum's bed next to her mum at about 9.00 am one morning. My mum was lying down with her back to my sister and the open bedroom door. She was listening to my sister talking.

Suddenly, however, she heard my sister stop talking mid-sentence. At that moment she suddenly smelled a strong whiff of perfume. She continued lying there as she smelled the perfume and my sister was quiet.

Then the smell disappeared. At that moment my mum heard my sister say: "Mum, who was that lady?"

My mum sat up and said: "What lady?"

And my sister explained that, as she was talking, a lady walked into the bedroom through the open doorway. As soon as she saw the lady she went quiet and a strong whiff of perfume filled the air. She said that the lady wore old-fashioned clothing - a big, pink dress and a big, pink hat with a flowery design on it. My sister said the lady walked into the bedroom, stood at the side of the bed, smiled at her and then vanished. My sister said she looked young, kind and was very pretty. As soon as the lady vanished the perfume smell disappeared.

My family are the first people to live in the house. It was built in the early 1990s as part of a new estate. The new estate was built on top of an old Victorian cotton mill called Ocean Mill. I wonder if the ghostly lady was linked to that mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gav25

Actually, I've got an interesting one! I'm sure there's a logical explanation, but here you are anyway:

I was reading the thread on After Hours about the Sounds of Hell - now, I know it's a proven hoax, but the very idea and description of the events surrounding the alleged occurence had me creeped out - even before I opened the audio clip.

Anyway, So I opened the audio clip, listened to the narrator for 2 odd minutes, and literally right before the actual screams from hell start....my internet connection just dies. So I restart my modem, wait for sync, and then listen to the clip again streaming from site. And once more, exactly at the same point, my internet connection just died. Only this time my speakers starting throwing out random hissing and garble, which was a bit odd. So anyway, third time lucky, I save it to my desktop instead of streaming, no problems. Listen to it....creepy stuff given the context, even if it is fake. Anyway, after a few seconds into the screams and moans, my speakers start going crazy again, hissing, crackling, just a load of distortion....so I shut down the computer. And while the computer is off and I'm reading notes I was supposed to be studying in the first instance, I hear faint talking...which I assume is coming from outside...takes me awhile to realize it's coming from my speakers. the computer is turned off, by the way, at this point and the speakers volume at '0'. Really faint, and I have to hold the speaker up to my ear to hear it, but it's basically some sort of speech, someone saying something about 'Saving them' and 'He said to them..etc' but I couldn't make out most of it. It sounded like a religious sermon but I couldn't be sure...it stopped after a few seconds.

Anyway, haven't any problems like that before this sounds of hell incident, nor have I since. So that was a bit strange....still trying to think what it might have been! But it still creep me out.

If it's any difference I am religious...and hold a keen interest in the ideal of the supernatural, white noise, etc, even if I don't really believe in it.

Hi, how can I listen to this After Hours about the Sounds of Hell thing you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gav25

Hi all,

I have been interested in the paranormal for around 20 years now, but its only in the last two that i have been going out to investigate supposedly haunted locations in northern Ireland. We would only take a torch, digital camera and maybe a Dictaphone for E.V.P. i don't take to much equipment because if there is a presence you will feel it. I have always been aware of ghostly presence's since i was a small child but as far as I'm aware saw my first actual ghost at the age of thirteen. I have now moved to swords and would like to meet people who are also interested in the paranormal, to maybe set up some investigations of local haunted locations.

I did attend the Dublin Paranormal convention at Clontarf castle and met a lot of very interesting people. I have to say the P.I.G guys were very helpful and had some great stories to tell, i recommend checking out their web site.

Hi Michelle, have you ever done any investigations in castle leslie?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Some of these stories are really great, the thread's been going for so long!

I used to regularly get visitors in my family home, like an old man who used to hang around. The electricity in our house would cut out and we'd feel pretty cold suddenly (though, that may well be caused by fear/anxiety) One night I was pretty on edge being aware of different activity at that time and my light bulb smashed out of my ceiling and landed on my bed a couple of feet away. My mother and sister was there when it happened (thankfully :P ) We got an electrician out the following day but he said all looked okay. Later in the week we heard the sister of the old man who used to live there had passed away and it happened the same day of these events. I'd like to think she had come back for a little visit to her birth place and check in with her brother before she moved on. The man (I know his name and refer to him by that name) and his energy definitely changed after that experience. He seemed to feel less angry and far more at peace, if anything, even a little bit of a messer. There is also a lady who has passed through but she hasn't been around in a long time, she had a lovely, calm energy too but was from a much older time. There were some not so nice experiences too but I have very little time for negative energies.

However, I must add I am still torn on whether the buildings themselves are haunted. I know it sounds weird but I can sometimes see sort of like portals all melty and fuzzy where I think they pass through. (if anyone has info on anything like this I'd love to hear because I find it hard to describe) Not necessarily connected to the building as in the actual current structure, but perhaps just that area is on a large energy field.

This is indeed a weird one, but has anyone any info on kids reporting being 'carried down the stairs' by a 'ghost'? I would be interested to hear that for sure. Thanks :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Dead must exist somewhere and there is one excellent reason why .........find out for yourselves.......no hints either.......not even one....scientific stuff to keep you awake for a week........you wont find anything to laugh about .....ever......after.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

paddyandy wrote: »
    The Dead must exist somewhere and there is one excellent reason why .........find out for yourselves.......no hints either.......not even one....scientific stuff to keep you awake for a week........you wont find anything to laugh about .....ever......after.

It's true that the dead must exist somewhere! Aren't humans made of energy? According the laws of physics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another.
    Therefore when a human dies their enery is not destroyed.. so could it just be changed to another form?! Does this make sense to anyone else? I'm no scientist by the way, I'm just making a suggestion!

I have had plenty of experiences with the paranormal but I'll post them soon when I'm not so tired! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

BUMP!

Bumping this to see where it appears. Seems to be a bit too far out of the way to be noticed. Very interesting reading...last post in 2011....??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    It's true that the dead must exist somewhere! Aren't humans made of energy?

We're made of chemicals. And according to Einstein's formula Energy = MassC2 , our chemicals/our mass, can be converted into energy.

But when you die, there isn't some magical energy that leaves your body. It's still tied up in all the chemicals you were made of. If they burned you, you'd release energy, like when you burn a lump of coal. If there was a way to smash all the atoms in the chemicals that make up your body, then the energy would be released as nuclear energy.
    According the laws of physics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another.

Yes, it's the first law of thermodynamics. But it doesn't mean that there is some kind of spiritual energy in your body that is conserved.
    Therefore when a human dies their enery is not destroyed.. so could it just be changed to another form?! Does this make sense to anyone else? I'm no scientist by the way, I'm just making a suggestion!

Yes. When you die, bacteria and worms eat you. They die something eats them. So you do get changed into other forms. Like a worm, and if a crow eats the worm, you now become part of the crow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    It's true that the dead must exist somewhere! Aren't humans made of energy? According the laws of physics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another.

Why only humans then? By that logic, the goldfish I had when I was 10 should be swimming around in some kind of goldfish heaven by now? And not just goldfish, every living thing that ever existed will have an afterlife...down to bacteria/germs. Does the aids virus have an afterlife?

The only energy transformation upon death will be decay, much like the way food spoils & decays eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why only humans then? By that logic, the goldfish I had when I was 10 should be swimming around in some kind of goldfish heaven by now? And not just goldfish, every living thing that ever existed will have an afterlife...down to bacteria/germs. Does the aids virus have an afterlife?

The only energy transformation upon death will be decay, much like the way food spoils & decays eventually

She hasn't necessarily implied that what she has suggested is applicable to humans only. When it comes to the notion of energy though, one has to consider if the consciousness is a form of energy or not, for it appears that it is consciousness, what people may also similarly regard as the soul, or true-self etc., that will exist after bodily death.

If energy is considered as mere matter, then it would most likely be inapplicable to consciousness (and indeed, some may not believe there is consciousness, but simply brain states). If on the other hand, it is believed that there can be higher frequencies of energy, it may open up the possibility of undetectable high frequency energy that accounts for consciousness - as the only existing energy upon death that is in technicality "you", you would be existing on a plane with similar energy, hence the notion of afterlife. You may be interested on reading the possibilities of an afterlife this way by looking at H. H. Price's article, 'Survival and the Idea of Another World'.

In this regard, anything with consciousness could exist after bodily death. Now of course, even if one does not construe consciousness as energy, then it does not necessarily follow that it cannot exist after bodily death - what encompasses the afterlife, and existence therefore in it, may not be of a similar notion like energy.
    Anyway, I agree that the body will decay etc., but I am not convinced that brain states make up only for consciousness, (theorising that for us as original non-embodied beings to exist physically, all aspects physically and mentally have a form of correspondence, so for example, for consciousness "to exist" in the human body, there of course must be chemicals flowing to fully incorporate the feelings of e.g., sadness and happiness) - it's kind of complicated [or at least, very long] so I won't digress too much.

The question still remains as to how ghosts can interact with the physical plane of ours such as our perceiving them or even the notion of 'poltergeists' - again, it may have to do with the different frequencies of energy whereby ghosts may be those of a lower frequency of energy, hence why some can interact with the physical plane. How this can come about may be a desire to return to the physical plane for whatever momentous amount of possible reasons, most likely a negative reason, a bitterness or denial in quite a few cases.

Of course, if one if purely physicalist, then none of this, including the idea of "ghosts", will probably apply, and to try convince otherwise would provoke a whole new discussion :)
    My apologies for such a long post, I get carried away sometimes and this is relatively short for my standard on such matters - and nor was this entire post directed at EnterNow, simply the very first line is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Great post, very interesting take on it :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Try utube life after death research stuff and forget the ghost stories of books .It's out there and it is'nt funny ......the fright without the laugh at the end of it ....and your favourite religious jokes will not seem so funny anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

EnterNow wrote: »
    Great post, very interesting take on it :)

Thank you, I've often given these things some thought. Especially in my philosophy course, I had the most amazing lecturer who spoke about the possibility of afterlife, consciousness and how dreams can be key to understanding this. It helped along the lines of my own thoughts, though I'm sure there are others who have postulated similar; sucks to be born so late in mankind when all the initial ideas are taken (but I still have some pioneering thoughts just so long as they too aren't taken up either) :D

As for some of my own ghostly experiences, I find it surprisingly hard to pinpoint an experience (I'd have thought I would remember; I can't exactly, but I know there was an experience or two). One thing that comes to mind was being in a graveyard at night. There was absolutely no wind, and I made sure to bare myself appropriately to test for wind. Certainly a little colder, but nothing pressing (hence, not strong enough wind I thought). I could hear a little bell. A very gentle tinkling bell. It must be coming from around one of the graves. It didn't put me at any state of weariness or dread, yet it wasn't exactly deliberately soothing, but more like innocent (and that description barely makes much sense, yet it is the closest I can describe it as), as if speaking to itself - that is to say, it did not sounded gesturing or as if some entity was trying to make itself aware.

Anyway, I kept looking around the graves nearby but could find no little bell on any of the graves. Every so often it would tinkle again, quite consistent timing I recall (every 5 or so), the same amount of rings/hits each time. Then at one point it stopped ringing for just over 10 seconds, and I realised as I turned around that a friend of mine who was in the opposite end of the graveyard was walking up to me. It was as if the bell stopped ringing because there was now another person here, especially as I told him about the bell and to wait around, but for a good few minutes there was no more ringing. Didn't find a bell around the next morning.

I guess it can be easily ascribable to very weak wind causing this and even an unsuccessful search for a bell, but I like to think there was something going on here - now that the event is long over and there is no way now to determine for certain. I'm sure there probably was actually a bell on one of the graves, but the consistent ringing on a (as good as) windless night is what made me consider it sufficiently, especially with its sudden stopping as my friend comes up to approach.
    Not much of an experience really, and more to the point, not necessarily ghostly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

The thing is, the inevitable will happen for each single one of us one day, and we will find out. There probably never will be any concrete proof, so we'll just have to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tom.T.Haw

Taters wrote: »
    I only have one, and tis a rather short one too.
    But anyway, I'll share it.

I was in Co. Kerry, twas about 3 am on a summer morning.
    My cousin Bláthnaid and I where looking out at a field.
    It was not pitch dark twas kind of like evening. Well we saw this figure.
    Twas a woman, she had long hair (I think it was blonde) and had a long, white dress on. She was walking slowly in the field. So we got the binoculars and looked at the field with them. There was no one there.

There you have it.

Omg! This was around/ in Killarney wasn't it? :O

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

RedFFWolf wrote: »
    Thank you, I've often given these things some thought. Especially in my philosophy course, I had the most amazing lecturer who spoke about the possibility of afterlife, consciousness and how dreams can be key to understanding this. It helped along the lines of my own thoughts, though I'm sure there are others who have postulated similar; sucks to be born so late in mankind when all the initial ideas are taken (but I still have some pioneering thoughts just so long as they too aren't taken up either) :D

As for some of my own ghostly experiences, I find it surprisingly hard to pinpoint an experience (I'd have thought I would remember; I can't exactly, but I know there was an experience or two). One thing that comes to mind was being in a graveyard at night. There was absolutely no wind, and I made sure to bare myself appropriately to test for wind. Certainly a little colder, but nothing pressing (hence, not strong enough wind I thought). I could hear a little bell. A very gentle tinkling bell. It must be coming from around one of the graves. It didn't put me at any state of weariness or dread, yet it wasn't exactly deliberately soothing, but more like innocent (and that description barely makes much sense, yet it is the closest I can describe it as), as if speaking to itself - that is to say, it did not sounded gesturing or as if some entity was trying to make itself aware.

Anyway, I kept looking around the graves nearby but could find no little bell on any of the graves. Every so often it would tinkle again, quite consistent timing I recall (every 5 or so), the same amount of rings/hits each time. Then at one point it stopped ringing for just over 10 seconds, and I realised as I turned around that a friend of mine who was in the opposite end of the graveyard was walking up to me. It was as if the bell stopped ringing because there was now another person here, especially as I told him about the bell and to wait around, but for a good few minutes there was no more ringing. Didn't find a bell around the next morning.

I guess it can be easily ascribable to very weak wind causing this and even an unsuccessful search for a bell, but I like to think there was something going on here - now that the event is long over and there is no way now to determine for certain. I'm sure there probably was actually a bell on one of the graves, but the consistent ringing on a (as good as) windless night is what made me consider it sufficiently, especially with its sudden stopping as my friend comes up to approach.
    Not much of an experience really, and more to the point, not necessarily ghostly :D

Reminds me of the time when i was about 11 or 12, hearing what sounded like a little bell ringing, was about 20 years ago, so only vague memory of it. Sounded like it was coming from the attic in the middle of the night also at certain intervals.:confused:

Advertisement