Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jo_336

I have two stories, here's the first. My grandad told me a story about when he was a young man and he used to work on the family farm. The cattle were fed grain and it was stored upstairs in an old disused house on the farmland away from the main house. He took his dog and a torch and was heading up the stairs as usual late one evening when he noticed his dog stood stock still beside him. The dog was transfixed looking into the room on the landing where the grain was stored. My grandad put his boot against the dogs backside to shove him in first (!!!) and the dogs nails were scraping along the wooden floor boards. Grandad decided it was probably some tramp taking shelter for the night so he turned off his torch and barreled into the room til he hit the far wall and turned on the light to see who was behind the door.... No one there!!!!! So he proceeded to get the grain out of the bags or whatever. He knelt down and says he suddenly felt something come over him, he was frozen and the dog too, he doesn't know for how long and then it passed off. Cool story isn't it? I learned later that some priests used to live in that house and that there had been suicide(s) there.... Even typing this I feel like asking him questions!!

Second story to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jo_336

The second story is something that happened to me when I was helping my aunt to mind her kids. I was staying in the house and was sleeping in my own guest bedroom. The house is modern and not at all spooky. One day I was walking into the bedroom and for no reason at all a thought popped into my head .... I wonder is my aunts house haunted. And in my head I was picturing a nun in a navy habit. Strange thing my imagination I thought! Following night I went to bed and in d middle of d night I woke up and got a fright , in my periphery vision I clearly saw an older man, bald almost wearing a shirt and jumper , not looking at me but sort of looking down and facing the same direction I was lying. I got such a fright and in the half light I shot out my hand to see if I could grab him, there was nothing there. I wasn't spooked cos again I decided that's my vivid imagination at work!! Settled back to sleep and forgot about it. (also I'd been having lots of dreams full of turmoil if you like to do with my other job) so hadn't been having restful sleep anyway. (maybe delirious from lack of sleep!!)

A few days later I was chatting away to my aunt and she says do you sleep ok here and that lots of ppl have nightmares when they sleep here (her young son especially) ... And I remember the night I woke up thinking there was someone there. I told the story laughing but as I did her face paled. She had woken up to see a man with his mouth open as if screaming in her face one night and was petrified called her hubby in tears (by the way she is not at all into the paranormal - she's a scientist!) so that was the week before Halloween do u cud imagine we were as jumpy going around!! We soon forgot about it after but for the kids sake I urged her to bless the house!! Phew sorry bout long post!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

second post

After reading all these stories which are amazing Ive just remembered a story from when I was younger around age 11-14 cant remember exactly .

At the end of my road growing up there was an abandoned house everyone used to say it was haunted but I dont think anyone believed until strange things started to happen.

One day we all decided to gather around this house each one thinking they were brave looking in the window, each day something in the house was different there was a mirror broken on the floor and tiles next day we went back they were fixed which got us all terrified so we ran for the hills.

We decided to be brave and go up again next day and to our horror they were all broken again. next thing someone said they seen the curtain moved upstairs we all looked up and each one looked terrified we all said did you see that? ( the hairs are standing on my arms telling this) we all saw a little girl pale grey she was looking out at us and then she was gone curtain back we all ran as fast as we could home, after a few years the house was fixed.

Theres been so many owners just moved after a year or two just wondering has this something to do with it? guess ill never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Ok so Ive been reading through the majority of this thread since yesterday, really good stories, some freaky, some encouraging. thanks everyone.

heres what ive experienced in my time.

as a child for several years, i used to have this tall shadow like figure stand over my bed at night. not every night, but regularly. it was completely black, even if there was light in the room all you could see was black. i always got a bad feeling from it, like it wanted to scare me. i used to just turn my back to it and pretend it wasnt there. once or twice i told my mum, or the babysitter that there was a bad man in my room, but they just told me i had a bad dream.

there was this one time where the babysitter was minding us, and hours later when my mum came back, the babysitter couldnt get out of the house fast enough. the next day my mum asked her what was wrong. the babysitter said that she went upstairs to check on me and my little sister, and the door to the attic started opening and closing very fast and she could see red eyes peering out at her. then she turned around and saw black crows on the landing. a second later it all stopped and vanished.

years later, me, my mum and my sis were talking about that house we grew up in. my mum started telling us that she used to see an old lady who was see through and blue at the top of the stairs knitting. my sister freaked out because she used to see the exact same thing. i never saw the old lady but i then told them about the tall black figure that used to stand over me at night.

years after we moved out of that house, my sister was skipping classes in the toilets with friends in secondary school. they wrote out a ouija board on paper and my sister asked what the combination to her locker in dunnes stores was as she worked there at the time. there was no way either of the girls that were with her could have known the combination. the makeshift board they created told them her combination. my sister started crying and couldnt get out of there fast enough. she told my mam when she got home and my mam was furious, saying she had invited the devil into her life. mam had us praying every evening for weeks after that and had a priest over to bless us and the house.

thankfully everyone im close to is still alive so ive never yet experienced a loved one contacting me from the other side, yet!

most of my experiences were only ever in that house i grew up in, and they were all pretty negative but thought id share them all the same.

great thread everyone! biggrin.gif

This sounds like a film where a family are seeing totally weird **** in their house and just hang around....seriously, a tall dark figure stood over you at night at the end of your bed, both you mother and sister saw an old see-through woman kitting at the top of your stairs and the baby sitter saw red eyes looking down at her from the attic.....and you stayed there for at least some time afterwards?? :confused:

Was your thinking, "nah, I must be seeing things.." or "no, this is my house, I'm not going to scared out of it"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

THIRD POST
    My partner was talking to his mum one day they heard a loud crash and the tool box that was against there was was on the floor now it was full so it would have needed someone to put force into doing so,

Also she says shes heard noises and even seen white figure in her room, then one day we were hearing buzzing noises during the day and we seen the battery powered car started moving itself we just thought it was faulty so we took out the batterys, then we seen this thing speeding around the sitting room still we were terrified.

I think the was terrifying was just 1 month ago his mum came home to hear screaming upstairs his brother and comotion and boxing noises she thought someone was in attacking him until she got in and he was in bed jumping around saying get them off me and could hear these boxing him and no one there, aslo to follow this student staying in the room said he heard strange noises all night like furniture moving ive always felt uncomfortable sleeping in this room just still curious hows trapped in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭s08t

Its only 20 five to six, and im freaked out reading some of these!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

This sounds like a film where a family are seeing totally weird **** in their house and just hang around....seriously, a tall dark figure stood over you at night at the end of your bed, both you mother and sister saw an old see-through woman kitting at the top of your stairs and the baby sitter saw red eyes looking down at her from the attic.....and you stayed there for at least some time afterwards?? :confused:

Was your thinking, "nah, I must be seeing things.." or "no, this is my house, I'm not going to scared out of it"?

we actually lived in that house until i was 10.

i can only relate what ive seen, i never saw an old lady but my mother and sister both did and only found out the other saw it too years later. thats when i began to give more credence to what i saw as a child. until that conversation with my mum and sis, i always chalked it down to an overactive imagination.

as a child, i cant really tell you what my thinking was about it all. i just remember being scared s***less going to bed at night when i saw that figure.

we werent thinking 'no, this is my house and im not going to be scared out of it'.

it was the 80's, and there was a recession on. my mum was a single mother and we would have had no where else to go if we had left it.

what i experienced was very real to me as a child, regardless of whether it was there or not.

but the conversation with my mum and sis years later, where we all experienced stuff there makes me think it did happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

Okay I don't know if I'm in the right section with this but here goes, now this story is crazy but It's true believe me, I was about 12 or 13 I was on my own sitting in the kitchen on the armchair beside the fireplace watching some horror movie on the TV and my white cat was asleep on the floor in front of me, when suddenly the cat sit up and stares at me open his mouth and say "hello Peter" as clear as day, I kid you not the cat said hello Peter to me and just sat there staring at me he just freak me out completely, I was froze to the armchair the cat didn't take his eyes of me after a while I manage to get up of the armchair and move very slowly around the cat with the cat watching my every move, I made it to the kitchen door open it very slowly watching the cat watching me now in my parents house there is a long hallway from the kitchen door to the front door, a second later I was standing outside the front door thinking my cat is possessed by some evil spirit, a while later my older brother come home from the pub with a good few drinks on him he says to me "what's you doing standing out here" I tell him what happen, he fall around the place laughing his head off, eventually he ask me "where is the cat now" I tell him "he's in the kitchen and he hasn't come out of it" now my brother is brave especially when he has a few drinks on him but he say to me "go on down and tell me what the cat is doing now" I tell him "no, you go down" "right" he say "we both go down together" so moving very slowly we made our way to the kitchen (the kitchen door was wide open I didn't have time to close it) my brother kept telling me to stop holding on to him (he was in front of me) at the kitchen door my brother lend forward to see into the kitchen, I whisper "well, what's the cat doing" my brother look at me and say "you know whatever plans that cat had to get you off that armchair it certainly work" "why" I ask "because the cat is asleep on the armchair you fecking idiot" we still have great laughs about that moment as for the cat he never spoke to me again, he died a few years later, now that another story but I save that for later, and believe me this is true that cat really freak me out that night, never had a cat since, had a dog years later but thankfully she could only talk to me in her own language, had many great conversations with that dog, ah, I do miss her, and as for that cat, who says animals are dumb. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

dogmax wrote: »
    Okay I don't know if I'm in the right section with this but here goes, now this story is crazy but It's true believe me, I was about 12 or 13 I was on my own sitting in the kitchen on the armchair beside the fireplace watching some horror movie on the TV and my white cat was asleep on the floor in front of me, when suddenly the cat sit up and stares at me open his mouth and say "hello Peter" as clear as day, I kid you not the cat said hello Peter to me and just sat there staring at me he just freak me out completely, I was froze to the armchair the cat didn't take his eyes of me after a while I manage to get up of the armchair and move very slowly around the cat with the cat watching my every move, I made it to the kitchen door open it very slowly watching the cat watching me now in my parents house there is a long hallway from the kitchen door to the front door, a second later I was standing outside the front door thinking my cat is possessed by some evil spirit, a while later my older brother come home from the pub with a good few drinks on him he says to me "what's you doing standing out here" I tell him what happen, he fall around the place laughing his head off, eventually he ask me "where is the cat now" I tell him "he's in the kitchen and he hasn't come out of it" now my brother is brave especially when he has a few drinks on him but he say to me "go on down and tell me what the cat is doing now" I tell him "no, you go down" "right" he say "we both go down together" so moving very slowly we made our way to the kitchen (the kitchen door was wide open I didn't have time to close it) my brother kept telling me to stop holding on to him (he was in front of me) at the kitchen door my brother lend forward to see into the kitchen, I whisper "well, what's the cat doing" my brother look at me and say "you know whatever plans that cat had to get you off that armchair it certainly work" "why" I ask "because the cat is asleep on the armchair you fecking idiot" we still have great laughs about that moment as for the cat he never spoke to me again, he died a few years later, now that another story but I save that for later, and believe me this is true that cat really freak me out that night, never had a cat since, had a dog years later but thankfully he could only talk to me in his own language, had many great conversations with that dog, ah, I do miss her, and as for that cat, who says animals are dumb. :o

did it sound like a human male or female voice? or the cats voice actually talking?

weird, but cool story!

human male but it was his eyes that freak me out, just kept staring at me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A few paragraph's would make it easier to read.

Hi Hal1 sorry about A few paragraph's would make it easier to read, but just trying to tell as it really was, maybe if I took a bit more time I could get it right word for word, but this was one of many great moment in my life, we all have them, and that what make us better than what we where, but I do understand what you mean, thanks, and filmbuffboy, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

dogmax wrote: »
    Okay I don't know if I'm in the right section with this but here goes, now this story is crazy but It's true believe me, I was about 12 or 13 I was on my own sitting in the kitchen on the armchair beside the fireplace watching some horror movie on the TV and my white cat was asleep on the floor in front of me, when suddenly the cat sit up and stares at me open his mouth and say "hello Peter" as clear as day,

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Hi again,

I just wanted to mention an experience my mother had as well. It was June 13th 1973( the day my Grandad died), My mother was 8 nearly 9 months pregnant with my older brother Joseph. I wasn't born until 3 years later . My mom's father was sick and that morning my mom went into town to get some groceries. In the town where I live there is a path behind the church to my grandparent's house. As mom returned from the shop the local priest ran by her and my mother knew immediately that Granny had called him to give the last rites. My mother who was heavily pregant tried to get back to have her last moment with him.

When Mom got to the house he had just died. She was so upset but a while later she realised the house was full of the smell of flowers. She wasn't aware of it then but she realised it later. She said ever to this day she has never smelled the scent that was so beautiful. She swears she has never been reminded of a scent like it but can describe it from her memory. She thinks it was Grandad's message that he was ok.

When my Granny died in 1998 - a while after I had a beautiful dream - I was in my school at home but there were all 1900's style women on sewing machines- My grandmother floated out of a door of the room towards me in a nightie she always wore in the evening. She smiled and hugged me- I woke immediately and had a tear roll down my cheek- it was so beautiful -the feeling, I know it was her coming to say good bye.

My mother's brother died in 1999 and a while after my mother said she fell asleep at our kitchen table exhausted from grief- she said she felt her brother in his young 20's beside her (he died in his 60's) and he as so calm and happy.

There are some good tales here from people.
    Take care everyone.

Also I will visit home soon so I will collect a story from my Uncle- He told me something years ago but I'll ask him again as to what happened him. I will post it up for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shampooman

Love this thread! I perform full time for a living and although my show is an act I dont tend to break character even off stage. My show involves mindreading,spirit contact using a Ouija board and various other supernatural elements ( I wont post a link to shows or I may get my ass banned). I've been on radio and performed seances etc After shows and even leading up to performances I get a whole host of people who share tales of the paranormal with me. I find that we in general as a people have a deep seated interest and belief in the other world. I've had people from all walks of life share with me their stories and experiences which has always interested me. The Ouija board is something that comes up time and time again. I keep my board under my bed though my friends and family think it's awfully weird thing to do.

I wonder do we want to believe because it gives us hope that there is something more out there?

Anyways my experience which is not alot considering what I do for a living. When I was younger myself and my twin stayed in the same room. In the room on the wall was a newspaper cut out of an elite Irish athlete running towards the finishing line of a race. Every so often the picture would almost become alive. It almost became a movie where you you see the crowd cheering and the athlete running towards the line and completing the race. I still remember seeing him dip his head towards the finishing line. It happened time and time again. Now obviously this could be and probably was an example of a childs overactive imagination but my twin brother saw the same thing as did a childhood friend who used to stay over with us. Perhaps me talking about it somehow influenced them to see it too, perhaps an example of kids being somewhat suggestible? I've never forgotten it and at the time it was real to me. In the room a few weird things have happened to other people but since I wasn't there or didnt actually experience them first hand I would be skeptical but of course open minded.

Anyways I know my story was/is pretty tame compaired to most here but I do look back on it and wonder do we lose our touch when we lose our magic and become adults. I think as we grow older we forget things. Again great thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

My story takes place about ten years ago, when I was around 12-13. I was sharing a bedroom with my brother at the time and for some reason had an alarm set on my phone for 6:30 (probably set by accident).

So anyway, the alarm goes off and I wake up, but can't seem to find my phone. Anyway, I notice a shadow standing next to my bed, who I assumed was my brother because it was very dark. The shadow pointed down by my legs, so I looked down, and there was my phone. So I turn off the alarm and look back to the shadow, only it was gone. I looked over to my brothers bed and there he was fast asleep.

Since then, nothing out of the ordinary has happened in the house, but I've been kinda hoping it does. I like being spooked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

This is a great thread, so glad it's kept going.

Last week I swear I had a visit from my dog, he died 2 and half years ago. I was awake in the morning before my alarm went off so I was lying there (sad about the fact that it was Monday and I was back to work :P) I heard a little sneeze coming from the hallway out side my bedroom, at first I thought it was the cat (I am a little hypersensitive about him sneezing because he suffers from cat flu regularly and thats usually how it starts) but he was in the bedroom window asleep. The sneeze actually woke my partner up, he wakes easily but he sat up and looked to the hall also.

My little dog was always sneezing!!! He was really nosy, sniffing everything around him. I think it was him stopping by for a nose around the apartment, as we had some work done, walls re plastered and the like. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

He's waitin for you Sambuka...:)

Hi Again,

I said I would post a story my uncle told me years ago- I couldn't remember it but I remember it scaring the hell out of me. My uncle was born in 1945. He said when he was a teenager he started dating my now aunt. He said he was 17 or 18 (in the 60's) when this happened.

He would walk to my aunt's house at the weekends to see her and one evening he was walking back form her house. He said it was dark but there was just enough light around to see in front of you. He heard footsteps behind him and thought nothing of it until he realised that the footsteps were mimicking his own. He turned around and he swore he saw a man at least 7ft or so tall. He stopped puzzled because he had never seen a man that tall and asked the man was he OK?(saying that to see was it someone playing a prank or was the guy lost) There was no answer, my uncle then said he felt really scared. He could not see the man's features only his height and he was dressed in a black suit wearing a bowler hat- he thinks it was a bowler hat by the shape.

My uncle then said he started to walk quickly to get home as he said his skin turned cold just by the feeling. The man was just behind him he said but my uncle wouldn't turn around again. The only thing my uncle said that gave him hope was a small bump in the road - like a bridge ahead and he could hear a stream underneath and he knew he was near enough to his own house.

He said as soon as he crossed the bump in the road the footsteps stopped, he said he kept walking but when he was a bit away he turned around for the second time- he said the man was just standing there before the bump in the road over the stream.

He told his mother(My granny on my father's side) and she said she had heard of a spirit that haunted the road but had never seen it herself. Years later my uncle also heard about it from somebody else but didn't mention to the other person because they might think he was odd.The other person was very specific in mentioning that the spirit or man could not cross the water because it was bound there and could not cross moving energy or water? He said he was not sure about that but moving water could stop a spirit in some way.

Anyways I have told it exactly the way he has told me so hope it is interesting. I'll try and get some more because I know my Aunt in the USA has one- I spoke to her on the phone and when she comes in October I'll ask her.

Take care for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Hi Again,

I said I would post a story my uncle told me years ago- I couldn't remember it but I remember it scaring the hell out of me. My uncle was born in 1945. He said when he was a teenager he started dating my now aunt. He said he was 17 or 18 (in the 60's) when this happened.

He would walk to my aunt's house at the weekends to see her and one evening he was walking back form her house. He said it was dark but there was just enough light around to see in front of you. He heard footsteps behind him and thought nothing of it until he realised that the footsteps were mimicking his own. He turned around and he swore he saw a man at least 7ft or so tall. He stopped puzzled because he had never seen a man that tall and asked the man was he OK?(saying that to see was it someone playing a prank or was the guy lost) There was no answer, my uncle then said he felt really scared. He could not see the man's features only his height and he was dressed in a black suit wearing a bowler hat- he thinks it was a bowler hat by the shape.

My uncle then said he started to walk quickly to get home as he said his skin turned cold just by the feeling. The man was just behind him he said but my uncle wouldn't turn around again. The only thing my uncle said that gave him hope was a small bump in the road - like a bridge ahead and he could hear a stream underneath and he knew he was near enough to his own house.

He said as soon as he crossed the bump in the road the footsteps stopped, he said he kept walking but when he was a bit away he turned around for the second time- he said the man was just standing there before the bump in the road over the stream.

He told his mother(My granny on my father's side) and she said she had heard of a spirit that haunted the road but had never seen it herself. Years later my uncle also heard about it from somebody else but didn't mention to the other person because they might think he was odd.The other person was very specific in mentioning that the spirit or man could not cross the water because it was bound there and could not cross moving energy or water? He said he was not sure about that but moving water could stop a spirit in some way.

Anyways I have told it exactly the way he has told me so hope it is interesting. I'll try and get some more because I know my Aunt in the USA has one- I spoke to her on the phone and when she comes in October I'll ask her.

Take care for now.

Great story!:):eek:

Thanks Ann22 ,

I have always been interested in those things. I've had 2 experiences and totally believe in that world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jadestar

This is a brilliant thread! upto page 40! I have a house with a history of all sorts going on in there, personally I have experienced windows and doors opening on there own, shadows crossing the landing light, knocking on doors and walls, breathing in my ear and curtains twitching on there own (like someone had a peek out the window).
    My then bf was a HUGE sceptic and did not believe in anything to do with the spirit world, all until 1 night he went in there on his own to do something in the upstairs bedroom. The house is on a pretty busy street and all I can say is that it was a miracle he was not run down that night! He was upstairs when he felt a little uncomfortable, but ignored it and carried on putting together a bed, thats when he got a very loud hissing in his ear! He ran straight out, down the stairs, out the front door and across the street without even looking for oncoming traffic, thats how much of a fright he got.
    He rang me in hysterics and panic, I have to admit I just burst out laughing because he had kept telling me I was imagining these incidences. He believes in it now, and will not go into the house on his own. I no longer live there either, but that was more to do with not being able to afford to refurb it (it is quite an old house). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

he saw a man at least 7ft or so tall... he was dressed in a black suit wearing a bowler hat

He met slenderman!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

face1990 wrote: »
    he saw a man at least 7ft or so tall... he was dressed in a black suit wearing a bowler hat

He met slenderman!!

We might have met Mister Slendermam as well!

In the dark, unlit boreens of north west Donegal gaeltacht, back in the summer days, coming back from a late ceilidh, about 6 or 7 of us, making our way home came upon this massive shadow of a man, he took up most of the lane. We had to squeeze into the bramble hedges to let this massive shadow of a man get by.

'Goodnight childer' he said as he passed us by.

We were all totally shook up by it and were happy enough to get home to bed.

We chatted about it the next day and asked around, but we never found out who he was.

Thanks Ann22 ,

I have always been interested in those things. I've had 2 experiences and totally believe in that world.

Check out this post by Pandamoanium...I wonder if it's the same stretch of road in his story and the same strange man?

This didn't happen to me - unfortunately I have no creepy ghoulish stories to tell - and I grew up in a house straight across from a cemetary! lol

My Dad was in his 20's at the time and was driving home from a "dance" as they called them in those days. He had his sister in the car with them and neither of them had been drinking so both were stone cold sober at the time.

So they're driving along happily chatting away to each other and they're on a quiet, dark rural road. It must have been about 2/3am at the time and they were going slow as it was a narrow and windy road.

Up in the distance they see a man walking very slowly along the side of the road, near the ditch coming towards them. As they got closer my Dad noticed that he was very pale, he had a very white, almost illuminated pallour to him.

The closer they got he noticed that he wasn't "walking" in the traditional manner where you'd notice his shoulders bobbing up and down, arms swaying, that kind of thing... he was more gliding along very motionlessly as though his feet weren't actually touching the ground.

As they got real close to him and passed right by him he noted that he was very tall - he reckoned well over 6' (probably closer to 7') and he was wearing a formal black suit along with a top hat - which would have been very out of place for the type of country rural area which they were in - and had very dark/black eyes which bore into them as they drove by.

As soon as they passed him my Dad thought there was something "odd" about him, however he decided not to pass comment to his sister in case she thought he was mad.

So they both drove along in deathly silence whereas minutes earlier they had been happily chatting away. About 10 minutes later after driving in complete silence his sister turns around to him and says; "That was a dead man we just passed wasn't it?"

Upon hearing this my Dad said he just got an icy cold shiver down his spine and every little hair on the back of his neck stood up straight, so he put his foot down and sped off til they reached home.

The next morning at breakfast in recounting their night to their mother they mentioned what they had seen on the drive home and their mother asked what road it had happened on - when they told her the spot where it happened she didn't seem to phased at all and said it was common knowledge that something "funny" was going on there and that a man was regularly seen walking along that patch of road in the dead of night.

Some neighbours who own land there, have a certain field which every single day, without fail, they'd shut and lock the gate to it. Every morning the gate to the field would be unlocked and swinging wide open..

It's been shut every night only to be found unlocked and opened every morning for years.. So much so that locals take no notice of it now and are more than used to hearing of strange occurences in the area.

Just to note - neither my Dad or Aunt had ever been aware of these stories or the reputation this particular stretch of road until the next morning when their Mother told them.

That's the only paranormal experience my Dad has ever had, in fact he doesn't really buy into the whole paranormal scene and think it's a lot of codswallop, however he still gets the creeps when recounting that night..

Wow,

That's strange- very similar, I wonder if Pandamoanium is my uncle's neighbour? Now that would be strange.

Now when I think of it, my mam told me that years ago before she was married, she was going to early mass..it was still dark. She was walking down the street and became aware of a man in front of her standing still with his back pressed against the fence. She said he was extremely tall, was wearing some kind of hat and all dressed in black. She didn't look directly at him as she passed by she got an awful dose of the creeps..never again did she go to early mass on her own. I remember when she told me about this, when I was young, I didn't really understand what was so spooky..but after reading posts here about a similar figure, I do now:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

We might have met Mister Slendermam as well!

In the dark, unlit boreens of north west Donegal gaeltacht, back in the summer days, coming back from a late ceilidh, about 6 or 7 of us, making our way home came upon this massive shadow of a man, he took up most of the lane. We had to squeeze into the bramble hedges to let this massive shadow of a man get by.

'Goodnight childer' he said as he passed us by.

We were all totally shook up by it and were happy enough to get home to bed.

We chatted about it the next day and asked around, but we never found out who he was.

Seems like a nice enough bloke. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

It's interesting that a tall man, dressed in black with a hat, seems to be a recurring theme.

I mentioned slenderman earlier, and while he was an invented character, perhaps there's a supernatural basis to him? Or maybe there's something in the human psyche, or western culture, that finds it spooky; a psychological or cultural archetype of spookiness.

Would love to know if anyone else has seen anything similar!

Advertisement