Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Putin wrote: »
    I would be a natural skeptic, but reading some of the posts in this thread have given me some serious second thoughts.

The opposite would be the case for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 petermac2014

Hello,

I don't about ghosts or anything else, but I'll tell ye a story my grandfather used to tell. He was driving home of a wet evening in Kilmacow in a Ford Anglia. He passed by the church wall and all of a sudden the car came to a stop and he couldn't get it started. He looked out, to see if there was anyone passing to help him and noticed a young woman sitting on the wall.

What was odd, was that she was wearing a very light dress, with long hair covering her face. He said the hairs stood up on the back of his neck, he just got a feeling that this was not normal. The next glance he gave, she was gone.

He kept trying the car, when next he looked over to the passenger seat and there she was, sitting in the seat, combing her hair with a silver brush. He froze, couldn't move, not a budge.

She started to sing and all he could was close his eyes. next time he opened them, she was gone. The car started and he tore off home.

When he came into the house, he spoke to nobody and stayed in bed for three days.

Not long after that, a fierce wailing was heard at night around the house. My grandmother sent him out with the shotgun, thinking it was a fox about to carry her hens. He went searching around in the dim light, only to find the same woman, sitting on the garden wall, brushing her hair.

2 days later, his brother in England passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

When I was 7 my grandad died. Soon after I dreamt he had brought me to this pub and got me a club orange and gotten himself a pint which I assum was guinness . We had a chat and he said goodbye, nYears later I found out I was seeing his local. Flash foward almost 20 years and one night I dreamt about him again, he was congratulating on the birth of my baby, and wasnt he proud it shared his birthday. I was j6st out of a marraige shere id never fallen pregnant, in a new relationship 6 months and on bc, there was no way I could be pregnant, right? Still I could get rid of that niggling feeling, and started to think I could feel flutters in my stomach. Took a pregnancy test, and yup I was pregnant! I delivered twins on june 23 2009, 90 years to the day he was born.
    the house we had rented then had an odd feel. My partner felt the whole bed shake violently with him on it one night while I was in hospital. The atmosphere in the house always seemed violitile, we seemed to cobstantly in bad humour! The one morning I felt something 7n the room with me and the babies, something horrid. I tried saying a decade of the rosary but I was choking on the words. We handed in our notice after that , and we felt much better and less argumentive.
    Then one day when the kids were 2ish, I was bringing outthe kids and my little boy yells upstairs byee granda pip..I looked at him and said whose that? He pointed up the stairs and said look ma granda pip...I said no chris your grandads name is bill, and philip is your uncle....but he was insistance on thede being a granda philip (he couldnt say philip and used to call him pip) im gusssing he was seeing his greatgrandad, who aas called philip too

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Scaredy_Cat

I'm still not the better of this, happened earlier with my nearly 2 and half year old daughter, we were walking down the hall together and suddenly she stopped as if looking at something, she says "ooooh mammy" I said "what"? she whispers something but I didn't hear her and bent down and said what again, she whispers "a man" :eek: and say "where" and she just slowly lifted her hand and pointed her finger and said there. I said to her there's no man there, where do you see him and then she starts to crane her head around as if looking in to her little brother's room. I knew my husband was outside so knew it wasn;t him and anyway she wouldn't refer to him as a man!

So in I go to the room and sure enough nothing there. I kinda just act normal and carry on down to her room. After a few mins I say to her "do you see the man now" and she kinda hunkers down in front of her bed and says "in there"!!!! Aahhhh the very night that my husband is going to work :eek:

Our house is newly built 5 years ago was only a field for as long as I can remember (family land) but in the next field is the ruins of an old castle! What do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

A child's over-active imagination, that's how they play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I'm still not the better of this, happened earlier with my nearly 2 and half year old daughter, we were walking down the hall together and suddenly she stopped as if looking at something, she says "ooooh mammy" I said "what"? she whispers something but I didn't hear her and bent down and said what again, she whispers "a man" :eek: and say "where" and she just slowly lifted her hand and pointed her finger and said there. I said to her there's no man there, where do you see him and then she starts to crane her head around as if looking in to her little brother's room. I knew my husband was outside so knew it wasn;t him and anyway she wouldn't refer to him as a man!

So in I go to the room and sure enough nothing there. I kinda just act normal and carry on down to her room. After a few mins I say to her "do you see the man now" and she kinda hunkers down in front of her bed and says "in there"!!!! Aahhhh the very night that my husband is going to work :eek:

Our house is newly built 5 years ago was only a field for as long as I can remember (family land) but in the next field is the ruins of an old castle! What do ye think?

Where was she pointing when she said 'In there'? Did she seem scared at all? It's a bit odd alright.

A child's over-active imagination, that's how they play.

I thought she would be a bit young for that yet though no? And esp in the manner she said it.

Rasmus - first time was in the hall and she was pointing straight ahead (we have a really long hall) then we were in her room and she indicated under her bed when she said "in there".

I have never experienced anything in this house so hoping it/is was her imagination but honestly don't mind as long as I don't see anything! Just am aware that kids are more sensitive to these things, I (think?) i had one or 2 experiences when I was a kid (bit older than her though).

Edit to say - no she wasn't scared at all.

I thought she would be a bit young for that yet though no? And esp in the manner she said it.

Rasmus - first time was in the hall and she was pointing straight ahead (we have a really long hall) then we were in her room and she indicated under her bed when she said "in there".

I have never experienced anything in this house so hoping it/is was her imagination but honestly don't mind as long as I don't see anything! Just am aware that kids are more sensitive to these things, I (think?) i had one or 2 experiences when I was a kid (bit older than her though).

I wouldn't be concerned if she didn't appear concerned. I wouldn't necessarily put it down to an active imagination - most kids know the difference between make-believe and reality. Sometimes things are random I think - a few years ago there was an isolated incident where my son saw something at home. He only reported it the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Creepy! Reminds me of what my own little one says.
    She tells me about "the boy" who is in mammy's room. She tells me that he's very cold and he's always sad. Freaks me out when she talks about it.

She is definitely not scared of him but she seems very sad when she talks about him. My daughter is three and a half but started talking about it around the same age as you're little one.

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    She tells me about "the boy" who is in mammy's room. She tells me that he's very cold and he's always sad. Freaks me out when she talks about it.

That is a horrible thing for your little girl to worry about, a cold, sad boy that she can't help..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Rasmus wrote: »
    That is a horrible thing for your little girl to worry about, a cold, sad boy that she can't help..

I try to distract her and cheer her up when she mentions it, which is thankfully not too often!
    Our house is very old and we have all seen and sensed things before (we live with my parents and sisters) so I don't think it is purely imagination.

She is definitely not scared of him but she seems very sad when she talks about him. My daughter is three and a half but started talking about it around the same age as you're little one.

Oh god that's awful :eek::eek: I was actually very calm when she said it to me it was only after when I was telling my husband that it kinda hit me what she said. Will wait and see if anything is mentioned again, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Andrew_C

No one but me believes this story....
    Staying in a modernised cottage in Spiddal. 4 families, 3 with small kiddies and 1 set grandparents. I'm at home on babysitting duty, so no alcohol. Our bedroom and our kids bedroom is in the old part of the house. Middle of the night, youngest aged about 2 and a half starts to cry. Wife gets up and goes into other bedroom. I turn over. THen one of the kids comes in and jumps on me and starts playing 'horsey'. I put my hand out of the covers and suddenly my wrist is grabbed - but this is no kid. THe bucking starts to get really violent and I start to wake up properly. I'm trying to get up, but am pinned down. Decide its time to get help - shout out brother -in-laws name, everything stops, no kid nothing. At this point I'm absolutely wide awake. THe wifes obviously asleep next door and the crying has stopped. I lie there, pertified. Am I having a heart attack or is it something more sinister? can't sleep. Later, it starts to get bright out side. I get up and turn off the light. GEt back into bed. Decide to leave one hand out of the covers don't know why. Starting to doze off - suddenly my wrist is grabbed again, but this time I'm up like a shot. Just in time to see an elderly man walk through the end of my bed, through the wall and into the kids bedroom next door. While I'm thinking I'm obviously going nuts, my daughter starts to cry again. Out of the bed and round the house in to her room is less than 3 seconds ( good going if you knew the layout), but she was settling and no one else in the room had been disturbed. Stayed another 2 weeks and never slept a wink till I got home. Later heard that previous renters used to sleep with all the lights on, and that's a LOT of lights. I never had a heart attack, and this all happened 20 years ago. Now, having said all that, I thing the ghost programs on tv are all tosh. BTW, this was all so vivid, if I was an artist, I could draw that man now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Turn on the heating perhaps.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Andrew C ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a case of sleep paralysis and vivid dreams i reckon

Hey Fryup,
    I'd say you're spot on there. The only thing is, other people had experienced something in the house, prior to my visit. And I only discovered that afterwards.

Either way, as a description 'vivid' does it no justice at all. However, wait till you hear this one....

Last Tuesday night I was asleep and dreaming of sleeping in a bungalow on the west coast. In the dream, I am aware that there's something in the room in which I'm sleeping (I dreamed a dream??). Suddenly, I hear and feel a loud breath on my face. In the dream, I wake and see a large dog beside the bed with bared teeth, and its looking right at me. It backs off a little and starts to growl. Still in the dream, I decide that lying on my back is not the best way to deal with this, so I leap from the bed shouting and growling - determined to deal with this dog. THAT's when my wife grabbed me (in real life now). So while I'm jumping out of my bed in Dublin, I can see a room in a house in Sligo and a dog in it.

I'm obviously susceptible to suggestion, when you consider this happened shortly after my previous post. But, the breath was so 'real' . I worked out that I must have positioned myself in such a way in the bed that I breathed against a sheet of paper that was on the bedside locker and it reflected back on me, triggering the dream - or at least the part with the dog in it.

I need a holiday!! (But I'll give Sligo and Spiddal a miss)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

@Andrew C. How did you know it was Sligo?

In the dream, we'd been talking about renting somewhere on a beach, and I wanted Wicklow - only because its a real short drive - but the others wanted Sligo. I lost 3:1.

Fryups right isn't he - vivid dreams..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Andrew_C wrote: »
    In the dream, we'd been talking about renting somewhere on a beach, and I wanted Wicklow - only because its a real short drive - but the others wanted Sligo. I lost 3:1.

Fryups right isn't he - vivid dreams..

With a little bit of practice you could learn to control those vivid dreams.

Sleeping on your back is best avoided if you wish to avoid sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis can also be controlled with practice. I find the subject quite fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

With a little bit of practice you could learn to control those vivid dreams.

Sleeping on your back is best avoided if you wish to avoid sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis can also be controlled with practice. I find the subject quite fascinating.

I find it fascinating too. The first time it happened to me I was totally freaked out, but had a feeling it was some sort of delayed reaction of waking up.

Now I just roll with it and let it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I find it fascinating too. The first time it happened to me I was totally freaked out, but had a feeling it was some sort of delayed reaction of waking up.

Now I just roll with it and let it happen.

I started a thread here. You may find it interesting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

lived in an old house in the early 80`s always woke up in the night and could see an old woman dressed in old clothes as i could describe them when i was about 12 years old. She used to walk up to my bed and hand me a lolly and tell me not to eat it.... i was 3...... so i used to try and bite it and she would dissappear. This went on from as young as i can rem till we moved when i was 5. I wasnt afraid as i just thought this women was been nice. My auld pair used to think i was dreaming when i was trying to tell them some old women was giving me lollies at night until my fathers mate told him his granny owned the house and died in the 70`s and what i was describing was the way the women dressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,300 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Great thread.

I'm not a sceptic as such. But people need to remember as humans we are hardwired to find patterns even where there aren't any in shapes etc especially as children.

In darkness a lot of the shapes we see are just our eyesight trying to adjust itself for maximum vision.

A lot of what I'm reading in here can be put down to sleep paralysis and the early stages of sleep pre REM sleep and dreams of falling teeth falling out are common.

The teeth one is to do with fear for the future and uncertainty,its been well documented

Anyway no experiences here but I'm non religious and generally a laid back and easy going person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i dont think you need to be religious or a non laid back person to have a paranormal experience mind you ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Great thread.

I'm not a sceptic as such. But people need to remember as humans we are hardwired to find patterns even where there aren't any in shapes etc especially as children.

In darkness a lot of the shapes we see are just our eyesight trying to adjust itself for maximum vision.

A lot of what I'm reading in here can be put down to sleep paralysis and the early stages of sleep pre REM sleep and dreams of falling teeth falling out are common.

The teeth one is to do with fear for the future and uncertainty,its been well documented

Anyway no experiences here but I'm non religious and generally a laid back and easy going person

makes kinda sense but there is a few very good and spooky stories in that thread around, not sure how to explain these then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 sniperviper

Hi Folks.

I havn`t posted in a while in this thread as all has been quiet in my home until recently. we have one of the kids toys in the bathroom its made to stick on the wall and plays music and makes bubbles when you press buttons, so 2pm we are all asleep in the house when im woken up by music im still half asleep and im thinking one of the kids is awake so i get up head for there room and there asleep.

I then realise that the music is behind me coming from the bathroom i turn around and nobody in the bathroom music still playing im frozen to the spot i mean realy freaked out which never happens to me.The music stops and then i hear what sounds like the button been pressed and the music starting up, at this point i thought about waking the wife but then i decided to go and look in the bathroom so as i get about 3 steps away from the bathroom the music stops i switch the light on and nobody there.

over the nexted week and a bit this happened a total of 4 times my wife witnessed it twice. we changed the batteries and it still happened we moved the toy to a different part of the bathroom and it happened again. It has not happened in nearly two weeks and all has been quiet. It happened pretty much the same time on the nights it happened and also we allways leave the bathroom light on without exception as we have kids and each time this happens the light is switched off.

The batteries where changed for new ones
    The toy was 3 weeks old without any damage
    There was no water damage
    its in perfect working order and not the first toy to come on by itself in the house
    I cant explain this one but im open to any ideas.

a few years back I was staying in a house in the north in the guest room. I was kept awake for most of the night by banging, tapping and thumping noises coming from the walls, which - since it was my first time in the place - I put down to strange neighbours. the idea of ghosty stuff did cross my mind, but it was very loud sounds and in my head anyway, seemed a bit too constant and obvious to be anything paranormal. I had no idea where it was coming from basically and just wanted to get to sleep. Eventually I fell asleep by was awoken a few hours later (this must have been around 4am) by someone walking around the guest room. there was no-one there, and in my half sleep I told it to go f*ck off with itself as I was knackered, and then went back to sleep. When I remembered this the next morning, I nearly shat myself (metaphorically) .

maccored wrote: »
    a few years back I was staying in a house in the north in the guest room. I was kept awake for most of the night by banging, tapping and thumping noises coming from the walls, which - since it was my first time in the place - I put down to strange neighbours. the idea of ghosty stuff did cross my mind, but it was very loud sounds and in my head anyway, seemed a bit too constant and obvious to be anything paranormal. I had no idea where it was coming from basically and just wanted to get to sleep. Eventually I fell asleep by was awoken a few hours later (this must have been around 4am) by someone walking around the guest room. there was no-one there, and in my half sleep I told it to go f*ck off with itself as I was knackered, and then went back to sleep. When I remembered this the next morning, I nearly shat myself (metaphorically) .

Did you ever talk about with the owners of the house? Had they experienced anything like that?

Apparently it's something that only happens guests the first few times (once or twice) that they stay in that room. I havent been back there since and the guy I know who was there has since moved out. Ive been kicking myself since that I just didnt pull out the iphone and record the audio.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Did you ever talk about with the owners of the house? Had they experienced anything like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

maccored wrote: »
    Apparently it's something that only happens guests the first few times (once or twice) that they stay in that room. I havent been back there since and the guy I know who was there has since moved out. Ive been kicking myself since that I just didnt pull out the iphone and record the audio.

once or twice .. jaysus some are v. brave !

Advertisement