Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    once or twice .. jaysus some are v. brave !

I was only there once. From what I hear it varies - some people would hear people walking about the room all night, others might hear only the banging noises, others might hear both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Hi Folks.

I havn`t posted in a while in this thread as all has been quiet in my home until recently. we have one of the kids toys in the bathroom its made to stick on the wall and plays music and makes bubbles when you press buttons, so 2pm we are all asleep in the house when im woken up by music im still half asleep and im thinking one of the kids is awake so i get up head for there room and there asleep.

I then realise that the music is behind me coming from the bathroom i turn around and nobody in the bathroom music still playing im frozen to the spot i mean realy freaked out which never happens to me.The music stops and then i hear what sounds like the button been pressed and the music starting up, at this point i thought about waking the wife but then i decided to go and look in the bathroom so as i get about 3 steps away from the bathroom the music stops i switch the light on and nobody there.

over the nexted week and a bit this happened a total of 4 times my wife witnessed it twice. we changed the batteries and it still happened we moved the toy to a different part of the bathroom and it happened again. It has not happened in nearly two weeks and all has been quiet. It happened pretty much the same time on the nights it happened and also we allways leave the bathroom light on without exception as we have kids and each time this happens the light is switched off.

The batteries where changed for new ones
    The toy was 3 weeks old without any damage
    There was no water damage
    its in perfect working order and not the first toy to come on by itself in the house
    I cant explain this one but im open to any ideas.

For some reason, when there are toys or music involved, it's much creepier... anyways, just wondering viper, the nights that the toy came on, had it been used, or had it been gotten wet with bath water? Similarly, on the nights it didn't chime, had it been used or gotten wet? Reason I ask is that sometimes, water can get into things and cause bridges that could short circut them and turn them on.... so just wondering if that could be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Take out the batteries or turn them the wrong way and see what happens.

If it happens then, I'd be moving house

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

There could be many "normal" reasons why the toy turned on, but as many might know, electricity is some kind of way ghosts or energies use to communicate (flickering light etc etc).
    I don't want to start a discussion about what could be wrong with the electricity itself tho haha

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jeefff

I was about 13, home alone, in a two hundred year old town house, supposed to be haunted by a woman..
    I was in the sitting room watching a music video or something, I started tapping my foot and in the corner of my eye saw my mothers empty shoe tapping away too.. I froze, the shoe stopped tapping, I tapped again, it tapped too.. I quickly pulled my foot close into the sofa away from the shoe and it jumped in on top of my foot, I let out a roar and jumped out of the chair, went to run out the door but the shoe flung itself infront of me..
    I nearly died, but then realised there was a long hair caught on my sock, and the other half of the long hair was caught under the toe of the shoe..
    Felt like a right numpty, but jaysus it frightened me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Kontrapasa

Just found this thread, so interesting! I don't believe in ghost myself but my OH tends to have hallucinations in bed and sleep paralisys, so I always find interesting to hear what he "saw".

Went to the Auld Reekie ghost underground tour in Edinbrugh. The place was dark, cold and dump as one would expect. We walk through the hallway and guide tells us stories about each chamber. We enter one of the chambers and the tour guide makes us women lean against one of the walls, and sends men to the oppositte wall and they lean against it- guide stays in the middle of the room telling a story with the light torch is carrying turned off. It's very dark, cold and damp and most people have been separeted from their friends (mostly couples on the tour) so you find yourself alone sourrunded by strangers while your OH is in the other side of the room. Guide keeps telling us the story about the women and children that died in a fire in that room and how they suffered. Everyone is on edge. All of a sudden an actor wearing clothes of the time runs shouting throught the hallway (playing ghost)- everyone has a mini hart attack and then laughs and tour is over.

I meet my OH and he seems shocked and he doesn't wanna talk. Turns out while guide was talking a man entered the room and walked towards him. Apparently he looked like somebody in his 30s that has aged badly and looks like 40-50. A bit taller than him with flappy ears and rotten teeth. Grubby looking and all clothes torned. Looked like somebody really poor and in bad health that one can see in pictures of our ancestors. He entered the room and slowly walked towards OH and stopped right in front of him- few inches from his face. OH says he wasn't blurry or anything, that he looked very real and he could see his features sharply. He was blinking and breathing. OH kept telling himself he was allucinating but the "guy" wouldnt go away; OH wanted to leave the room but didn't wanna make a fool of himself being the "chicken" that got scared with the story the guide was telling so he stayed. So OH tries to touch the "guy" to show to his brain that the "guy" isn't real; his fingers get pass through him as if he was a ghost but the "guy" still doesn't go away. Eventually the actor running through the corridor thing happens and silence is broken and everyone is laughing and only then the "guy" vanished.

I know it was his mind hallucinating but still sooo creepy :)

how would you know he is hallucinating? he might really saw him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Hi Folks.

I havn`t posted in a while in this thread as all has been quiet in my home until recently. we have one of the kids toys in the bathroom its made to stick on the wall and plays music and makes bubbles when you press buttons, so 2pm we are all asleep in the house when im woken up by music im still half asleep and im thinking one of the kids is awake so i get up head for there room and there asleep.

I then realise that the music is behind me coming from the bathroom i turn around and nobody in the bathroom music still playing im frozen to the spot i mean realy freaked out which never happens to me.The music stops and then i hear what sounds like the button been pressed and the music starting up, at this point i thought about waking the wife but then i decided to go and look in the bathroom so as i get about 3 steps away from the bathroom the music stops i switch the light on and nobody there.

over the nexted week and a bit this happened a total of 4 times my wife witnessed it twice. we changed the batteries and it still happened we moved the toy to a different part of the bathroom and it happened again. It has not happened in nearly two weeks and all has been quiet. It happened pretty much the same time on the nights it happened and also we allways leave the bathroom light on without exception as we have kids and each time this happens the light is switched off.

The batteries where changed for new ones
    The toy was 3 weeks old without any damage
    There was no water damage
    its in perfect working order and not the first toy to come on by itself in the house
    I cant explain this one but im open to any ideas.
    Could be condensation getting into the toy during the day and by the time the water droplets drip down through the toy it's later in the night which in turn is shorting out the toy, just a possibility! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sniperviper

screamer wrote: »
    For some reason, when there are toys or music involved, it's much creepier... anyways, just wondering viper, the nights that the toy came on, had it been used, or had it been gotten wet with bath water? Similarly, on the nights it didn't chime, had it been used or gotten wet? Reason I ask is that sometimes, water can get into things and cause bridges that could short circut them and turn them on.... so just wondering if that could be it?

HI
    The last time it went off the toy had`nt been near the bath it was stuck on the opposite wall so as to eliminate the water getting into it idea. It is possable it got damaged the first time from water and thats why it went off again after i put new batteries in it but it has`nt happened again since and i hav`nt changed the battries. its not the first time toys went off in the house we had a similar thing happen in another room with toys in it.
    Its been quiet since my last post i hope it stays that way

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

HI
    The last time it went off the toy had`nt been near the bath it was stuck on the opposite wall so as to eliminate the water getting into it idea. It is possable it got damaged the first time from water and thats why it went off again after i put new batteries in it but it has`nt happened again since and i hav`nt changed the battries. its not the first time toys went off in the house we had a similar thing happen in another room with toys in it.
    Its been quiet since my last post i hope it stays that way

Please keep us updated !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MRBASS

strange story with my father..quiet a few years ago he woke up during the night to see a man standing on the landing looking in,he said he just stood there and walked off,he was wearing old clothes and had real red eyes,now red as in say tired eyes..i had an uncle living in the house at the time,and when my da told the uncle ofcourse the uncle took the mick from me da.and then a short time later my uncle went up the stairs to the bathroom,which is located right at top of stairs,when he reached the top he glanced into the bedroom and he also seen this man,and both him and the father described the same man,and yet i lived in the house all me life and none of us ever seen or heard anything??strange

MRBASS wrote: »
    strange story with my father..quiet a few years ago he woke up during the night to see a man standing on the landing looking in,he said he just stood there and walked off,he was wearing old clothes and had real red eyes,now red as in say tired eyes..i had an uncle living in the house at the time,and when my da told the uncle ofcourse the uncle took the mick from me da.and then a short time later my uncle went up the stairs to the bathroom,which is located right at top of stairs,when he reached the top he glanced into the bedroom and he also seen this man,and both him and the father described the same man,and yet i lived in the house all me life and none of us ever seen or heard anything??strange

some of them just like to visit, I had that a couple of times too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

celica00 wrote: »
    some of them just like to visit, I had that a couple of times too

Please share with us :)

To keep it short:
    Whenever I was on my own (back then when I lived home with parents), I would hear things or how someone opens doors or walks through them.
    As I was alone, no windows or doors open and even my cat and dog looked towards the noise (like they would expect someone to enter the room), I knew I'm not on my own haha

The first few times it scarred me a lot and I wouldn't sleep those nights but I started to "tune in" and kinda felt a peaceful presence, like someone who just pops by.
    I (for fun) called him "Wilson" and whenever I heard "him" I would great him etc.
    Often I also heard how things were moved. I was too freaked to check right away but the next morning I had a look and stuff clearly was moved to somewhere else.
    I kept a close eye on this as it happens regularly (to make sure I'm not crazy haha).
    Since my dog and car always felt the presence too I got relaxed and wasnt worried.
    At some point it stopped but my mum still mentions that he "every now and then" seems to be around.
    We just feel it somehow and it's like an old visitor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Have ghosts learned to use the internet or do they just keep flickering lights and that? And if ghosts can use the internet is it limited to ones that died when the internet was around or can ghosts who dies from the 80s back upskill and learn to use the web to communicate with us?

Effects wrote: »
    Have ghosts learned to use the internet or do they just keep flickering lights and that? And if ghosts can use the internet is it limited to ones that died when the internet was around or can ghosts who dies from the 80s back upskill and learn to use the web to communicate with us?

I assume you don't mean this seriously aka trolling?

If you do though, I personally never thought about it but also don't think it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, it's a serious question. It's something I've been wondering about for a while since I've noticed some weird things happening in my house with the internet. There were three murders in the house in 1904 and there have been ghost sightings in the past. Now I'm wondering if they have learned to use the internet as well as the flickering light thing has stopped happening and lamps that used to turn themselves on isn't happening anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Kontrapasa wrote: »
    Just found this thread, so interesting! I don't believe in ghost myself but my OH tends to have hallucinations in bed and sleep paralisys, so I always find interesting to hear what he "saw".

Went to the Auld Reekie ghost underground tour in Edinbrugh. The place was dark, cold and dump as one would expect. We walk through the hallway and guide tells us stories about each chamber. We enter one of the chambers and the tour guide makes us women lean against one of the walls, and sends men to the oppositte wall and they lean against it- guide stays in the middle of the room telling a story with the light torch is carrying turned off. It's very dark, cold and damp and most people have been separeted from their friends (mostly couples on the tour) so you find yourself alone sourrunded by strangers while your OH is in the other side of the room. Guide keeps telling us the story about the women and children that died in a fire in that room and how they suffered. Everyone is on edge. All of a sudden an actor wearing clothes of the time runs shouting throught the hallway (playing ghost)- everyone has a mini hart attack and then laughs and tour is over.

I meet my OH and he seems shocked and he doesn't wanna talk. Turns out while guide was talking a man entered the room and walked towards him. Apparently he looked like somebody in his 30s that has aged badly and looks like 40-50. A bit taller than him with flappy ears and rotten teeth. Grubby looking and all clothes torned. Looked like somebody really poor and in bad health that one can see in pictures of our ancestors. He entered the room and slowly walked towards OH and stopped right in front of him- few inches from his face. OH says he wasn't blurry or anything, that he looked very real and he could see his features sharply. He was blinking and breathing. OH kept telling himself he was allucinating but the "guy" wouldnt go away; OH wanted to leave the room but didn't wanna make a fool of himself being the "chicken" that got scared with the story the guide was telling so he stayed. So OH tries to touch the "guy" to show to his brain that the "guy" isn't real; his fingers get pass through him as if he was a ghost but the "guy" still doesn't go away. Eventually the actor running through the corridor thing happens and silence is broken and everyone is laughing and only then the "guy" vanished.

I know it was his mind hallucinating but still sooo creepy :)

Been on that tour twice, not a believer in ghosts but it is very creepy and very well setup. The guides are adamant though if you see anything to say so immediately (torches hidden in the wall can be quickly grabbed etc).

Last time I was on that tour they said people were separated in that room as its normally the male half that are "approached". Women are told to keep hold of kids too, noticeable incident occured when a woman felt her kid left go and a cold hand grasp hers. She screamed torches came on, her son was 4 feet away facing the wall!!
    Of course when he was saying this I tried to scare one of the girls by pulling lightly on her jacket tail, she screamed blue murder... torches on... wrong lady, some woman from Liverpool instead. She almost killed me, her husband thought it was hilarious. I couldn't apologise enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ITC has been around for a while where people reckon ghosts use tvs and computers etc. ITs the same as looking at a crowd of people you dont know - how do you know some of them arent ghosts? With the internet, how do you know the people you are communicating with online that you have never met, or people you see posting on forums are actually real people and not ghosts? You don't - but then again unless you can formulate some way of experimenting to find out, then you'll never know.
    I lived in a house once where over a period of 5 years various things of a paranormal nature where going on. i once got a phone call from an irate woman claiming I was ringing her elderly father every week at 3pm and all he could hear was hissing. Our number was the one that kept coming up on his phone - which was way she rang me. Problem was, my wife and I work and the kids were at school in those days, so there was never anyone at home to do the ringing. If they can manipulate phones then Im sure they can manipulate the internet - though there was no communication via the phone mind you .... just noise.

Why though would someone being murdered 110 years ago mean a ghost though?
    Yeah, it's a serious question. It's something I've been wondering about for a while since I've noticed some weird things happening in my house with the internet. There were three murders in the house in 1904 and there have been ghost sightings in the past. Now I'm wondering if they have learned to use the internet as well as the flickering light thing has stopped happening and lamps that used to turn themselves on isn't happening anymore.

How exactly do you mean "using the internet"?

Like shutting the internet off and on or actually communicating:? Any examples?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That would be one way to explain dodgy internet history I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PrettyRad

I made an account just to share my experiences! Let me start off by saying, I've always be pretty sceptical, even as a small child my parents had to work v hard to get me to believe in Santa or the tooth fairy. I had always gad the same attitude towards "ghosts" until last October, when I experienced my first unexplained happening. Since then, my mum says I've been plagued by ghosts, but I don't think that's the right word-they've all been harmless!

Anyway, my first experience. From October 30 to November 4 last year, I stayed in Kraków, Poland with my school. Our hotel was located in a beautiful old building. Upon arrival, I immediately felt uneasy, which I thought odd-I travel with the school a lot, from Killarney to Bayonne to Munich, and had never felt uncomfortable being awayfrom home. On the first night, I heard rather a lot of movement coming from the bathroom/wardrobe area but assumed it was one of the girls I was sharing with and went back to sleep. On the second (Halloween night, might I add) I heard a lot more clearly audible shuffling, as if someone was pacing slowly. I once again assumed it was a roomate but when I looked over to their beds, they were sound asleep. I got up and opened the wardrobe-nothing. I checked the bathroom-nothing. But when I got back into bed, a man was suddenly standing by the door. He was kind of flickering? I can't describe it, as if he was only half there? And he was all in very muted colours, wearing pale blue pyjama bottoms and a white t-shirt. He stared for a very short time and then just faded away.

I can share my other experiences if you guys want, sorry for the long post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

@Prettyrad.

Very interesting. Can you give the name of the hotel? Or have you checked to see if such incidents have happened there before?

I'm presuming that this hasn't happened to you before (ie: prior to October) ? Was any of the group playing with a Ouija board on the trip? Or similar?

Kettleson wrote: »
    @Prettyrad.

Very interesting. Can you give the name of the hotel? Or have you checked to see if such incidents have happened there before?

I'm presuming that this hasn't happened to you before (ie: prior to October) ? Was any of the group playing with a Ouija board on the trip? Or similar?

Hi! Yep, the hotel was Hotel Royal by the Castle in Krakow centre. I'm not too sure if anybody messed about with a ouija board, I'd like to think I'd know, because there were only 11 of us and two teachers, but the students were split into a triple room and 4 doubles, so I can't really know!

I've searched around but can't find much of a reason for a spirit to be there, other than if somebody called them through with ouija... I sure hope it wasn't my imagination, it's the experience that 'opened my eyes' to the paranormal!

PrettyRad wrote: »
    Hi! Yep, the hotel was Hotel Royal by the Castle in Krakow centre. I'm not too sure if anybody messed about with a ouija board, I'd like to think I'd know, because there were only 11 of us and two teachers, but the students were split into a triple room and 4 doubles, so I can't really know!

I've searched around but can't find much of a reason for a spirit to be there, other than if somebody called them through with ouija... I sure hope it wasn't my imagination, it's the experience that 'opened my eyes' to the paranormal!

Update: Wawel Castle is reputedly haunted, and the hotel is almost right under the castle...would this have an affect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

PrettyRad wrote: »
    Update: Wawel Castle is reputedly haunted, and the hotel is almost right under the castle...would this have an affect?

Indeed, there's loads of references to ghostly dragons and Kings that meet on the 24th December, but they all a bit tenous/fairy tale to me.

But your experience is very specific and different to those others that I can find reference to.

Have you had any significant incidents after returning from your visit to Poland?

Since returning, I've had two other experiences, but not as significant I don't think.

1) I was in the forest in Curraghmore Estate, Portlaw, Waterford with my dad in February. We started heading up towards the Round Tower and I saw a very vague, shadowy figure standing on the hill. As we grew closer I tried to focus my eyes but it was still very blurry. Could have been my eyes playing tricks, but I felt hugely uneasy by the time we reached the tower and was anxious to leave again, even though I've been there several times before without a problem.

2) my school was hosting an open day for incoming first years. My locker is in the old Victorian part of the school that used to be the old boarding school. It was locked off to people on the night of the open day. I was volunteering, showing people around etc. At the end of the evening, I asked the caretaker for the key to the building and myself and a friend headed up there to get our coats. I locked the door behind me, and to the best of my knowledge, the other door was locked too. I was in a classroom and I heard running and laughing on the floor above me, despite the only other person in the building being right next to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

In the last house we were living I had some experience with playing the xbox. The house was an very old farm house with new extensions. Everything inside was new and done up but still on the landing upstairs was one point were I always was sure somebody was there. My Boyfriend used to be a lot on Business travel in that time and I felt always very watched when he wasnt there. Even when I took a shower it happened every time that I had the feeling someone came into the bathroom. I always had the feeling it is a old woman and she was confused that we were there as I think she still thought she was living there so I often had a feeling of her being irritated and grumpy. So one night, my boyfriend was away again and I thought I play the xbox with the kinect and this jump game. The old part downstairs was the living room with the wooden stairs then in my back. So I started jumping and running in from of the TV and I could feel her watching me. Oh I dont know how many times I turned around I know she came down the stairs and looking at me. I had this hole in the back, the dog was barking at the stairs as well. I guess she didnt mean bad but I am sure she has never seen someone playing the kinect before. The poor woman must have thought I am processed by the devil. She watched me even closer after this. We moved out then a few month later. There was a guy on the road as well, he jumped once in the car with me, oh not a nice feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Loughc wrote: »
    That would be one way to explain dodgy internet history I suppose!

I'll have to try it on my OH one day. I'll report back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Absolutely loving this thread! Been lurking for a while reading all the posts and creeping myself out over the more scarier ones.
    Thought I'd contribute my own experiences as I've had a few over the years. The major one happened when I was a wee lass of 5 and living in the box room of my house at the time.
    The room had only one window which had the view of the wall seperating my house from the neighbours and was part of the laneway where we kept the bins. Since at the time there was only a very flimsy net curtain covering the window, I was often kept awake by my neighbour's security light coming on at night and so I was used to flickering lights.
    One dark and stormy November night, however, the wind was howling excessively and the ominous crashes of thunder and lightening were scaring little old me, preventing me from sleeping. I tried to ignore the noise by sticking my head under the duvet but it was futile. I was about to get out of bed and run to the saunctuary of my parent's room when I heard a shrill, unearthly scream.
    It was clearly a woman's shriek and distinguishable from the wind. I looked out the window and saw a tall, thin woman in a flowing grey dress with scraggly white hair screaming at me.
    I let out a yell and dived under the covers and didn't move until the screaming stopped.
    When I related the story to my mother the next morning, my mother assumed I had simply had another of the night terrors that I was prone to getting at that age and said, in a manor of explaining things, that I probably was imagining a banshee.
    She told me not to worry too much about it though she did tell me that banshees were considered bad omens and never to pick up any combs I found in the street lest bad luck be visited upon me.
    So, after being soothed, I went back to sleep feeling rattled.
    A few weeks after that incident, my grandfather died after a long battle with cancer. I think the banshee was trying to warn me in some way as the death came as a terrible shock to me- I had been purposely kept in the dark about his illness as I was too young to comprehend it at the time.

On a much lighter note, in the years since he died, I have been visited by my grandfather's ghost on more than one occasion.
    He was known for being a bit of a joker and a jolly sort of man and often during times of stress and emotional turmoil, I often feel his presence- as though someone is patting my back or giving me a gentle caress-and I find it a comfort.
    Though, I must tell you the funniest incident that happened quite recently.
    For the sake of background, you should know that my granddad died in the bedroom he shared with my grandmother and ever since, I've always felt he still lingered in there. Anyways, I was in the room one day fixing my hair at the mirror affixed to the door of the wardrobe when I became acutely aware of the feeling of someone standing behind me.
    I looked at my reflection but there was no-one there. Next of all, I felt a very clear and distinct hand pinch my bottom!
    I told my grandmother and she laughed at me, saying my granddad often did that to anyone using the mirror.

It made me laugh anyways. :D

Advertisement