Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Puncture repair on low profile tyre?

Options
  • 28-02-2006 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed theres a screw in my tyre, losing about 5PSI a day - Need to get it sorted.

The tyre is a 205/40/17, can this be repaired eventhough its low profile? The puncture is in the middle of the tyre, nowhere near the wall.

Also, does the wheel have to be re balanced when the tyre is re fitted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, the tyre can be repaired as long as the hole is in the tread pattern. I can't see what difference the tyre being low profile would make. It will have to be rebalanced after the repair, though. Balancing is necessary whenever a tyre is fitted to a rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said!

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Anan1 wrote:
    Balancing is necessary whenever a tyre is fitted to a rim.
    Why would it need to be taken off the rim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Gurgle wrote:
    Why would it need to be taken off the rim?

to repair the punture by putting a patch on the inside...

plugs are not advisable on low profile tyres...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

to repair the punture by putting a patch on the inside...

plugs are not advisable on low profile tyres...
    So these are tyres with tubes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gurgle wrote:
    So these are tyres with tubes?
    No, they take the tyre off the rim, locate where the leak is on the inside of the tyre, and apply a patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just got it fixed there. He removed the wheel, did something and then put a patch on. The price on the wall was 14euro, he charged me a tenner so I gave him 15 and told him to keep the change as he was a nice guy and was talkin away to me

Advertisement