Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone help with nightlife in letterkenny??

Options
  • 28-02-2006 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

me and 2 friends going to letterkenny for st patricks weekend. thurs through to the sunday. stayin in gallaghers hotel. can anyone suggest good places to go near that hotel??? thanx[/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Gallaghers is a great new hotel. Milan beside it is definately the place on Sat nite and you get in free if you're a hotel resident. Sister Saras just down the road is a three floor bar with two DJs and is probably the busiest sat nites anyway. Lots of places will be on on the Friday anyway including Saras and the grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Gallaghers is newly done up and reopened, however I haven't heard great things about the bar there.
    Just down the main street and across the road is The Cottage, a small pub which usually has trad music at the weekends. it gets a good crowd and the craic is usually good there. Further down the street is Dillions Hotel, haven't been there for a while but the bar is quite big.
    At the square is the Brewery, lovely pub, live music, good mix of people at weekends.
    Further down the main st. past the square are the following pubs, McGinleys (great crowd, two floors with live music on a friday and saturday night) The Cavern (two floors again) usually a dj at weekends, gets good crowds, nice smoking area outside, upstairs at the back) Further down the street is The Wolfe Tone, gets an okay crowd, wouldn't really be my idea of a nice pub, quite a rough element hang around it.
    The other pubs on the main street that I'm missed are
    The Central, Gets an older crowd.
    McClaffertys, Haven't been in there in years so can't comment
    Blakes, Gets a local crowd, don't particularly like outsides and especially not girls.
    The Drum Bar, similar to Blakes,
    Josies This is at the very bottom of the main st. gets the Central crowd.

When you come out of Gallagher;s if you turn up the street, you will end up at the Orchard, three floors (middle level bar, top level nightclub, downstairs bar/nightclub) always busy at weekends. in my opinion best nightclub on a saturday night. always jammed but.

When you come out of Gallaghers if you head across the road and down port Rd. walking towards the traffic, you will go past the Grill on your right, good nightclub on a friday and sunday night, gets a very young crowd on a saturday night, further down the street is the Pulse, nightclub (two levels dj on ground floor and live music upstairs) not to be recommended if you're very sober or you have a good sense of smell.
    Across from the Pulse is St Sara's nice pub, already mentioned by another poster i think.
    Then finally at the shopping centre, is the Oasis, nice pub usually has some music at weekends or Karoke. can be either packed or empty!

There are usually plenty of taxis around to take you from the pub to the nightclub anyway, especially at the bottom of the town outside the cavern, mc ginleys brewery, josies etc.
    You'll have a great time where ever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Gallaghers isn't a new hotel. The last time I was there was about 15 years ago when I was kicked out and barred for being along with a 5 guys that threw 5 pints (of tap water) over the doorman. :rolleyes:

OK, I was in it since when I did jury duty. They couldn't keep me out then, could they.

Deman,
    foggy wrote:
    Gallaghers is newly done up and reopened,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

nearly got it in one foggy, you missed the orchard, probably better for the more mature crowd on a friday and saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

foggy wrote:
    Deman,

Sorry Foggy :)

I was replying to Donegalman -
    Gallaghers is a great new hotel.

For me, it's been 8 years since I've really gone drinking in Letterkenny but if the Orchard is anything like it was, then I'd recommend it too.

jimmeh wrote:
    nearly got it in one foggy, you missed the orchard, probably better for the more mature crowd on a friday and saturday.

Have included it after the main street before the port Road.

But thanks jimmeh.

Definately wouldn't forget it, had a hangover till monday from saturday night again this weekend.
    Best for the over 22's age group i would say but always packed upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I agree with Jimmeh - Orchard's the way forward. Plus the stumble back to Gallagher's is entirely downhill, and there will likely be an encounter of the chipvan kind.

Other worthy pubs include Casbah (100m down main st. from Gallaghers), McGinleys (200m down Main St.), the Cottage (50m), the Brewry (200m), Dillons (100m) and Sister Saras (300m, Port Road, so uphill walk home)

I also recommend you experience the China Tower on your way home - their savoury chicken balls are fantastic at 3am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

hmmmm chicken balls with added fight club sauce from the grill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joanne_p23

Thanks for the help, sounds like its going to be a great drunken weekend for us:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Oh, I'd imagine it'll be worthy of a prime time special :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 likklebitpink

joanne_p23 wrote: »
    me and 2 friends going to letterkenny for st patricks weekend. thurs through to the sunday. stayin in gallaghers hotel. can anyone suggest good places to go near that hotel??? thanx[/font]

hi joanne my name is jenny and i live in letterkenny gallaghers hotel has their own niteclub its called milan and its good a lot of young people would go there, sister saras is a massive disco bar 4 floors you will really have to go there. there is a nieclub across the road fron sister saras called the pulse which will have the kinda older crowd. but the best place of all is voodoo niteclub you will reall have to go there thats my personal opinion. what age are you? cavern pub is good too .xxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

hi joanne my name is jenny and i live in letterkenny gallaghers hotel has their own niteclub its called milan and its good a lot of young people would go there, sister saras is a massive disco bar 4 floors you will really have to go there. there is a nieclub across the road fron sister saras called the pulse which will have the kinda older crowd. but the best place of all is voodoo niteclub you will reall have to go there thats my personal opinion. what age are you? cavern pub is good too .xxxxxx
    Ahemm!!!!!! It was last year she was going to Letterkenny ;)

Advertisement