Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An honest F.E.A.R Review

Options
  • 28-02-2006 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I've just played through F.E.A.R. i can honestley say It has to be the best FPS shooter out at the minuite. The entire game play's like a movie. Bullet time for example becomes a mayjor asset during Plenty of outnumbered firefights. For scares This game has more atmosphere than any of the Resident evil or doom games.:eek: Shocking youu may think that i can say these blashfaomuus things but with just casue.

F.E.A.R is full of Ery shaded Darkness covering every inch of those spooky corridors. The randow flashbacks and Spirit Demons are a really nice touch.

The game really is that good that I cant do it justice with word's.

Check out the website. http://www.whatisfear.com/us/

Sieeria teamed up with Rooster Chicken to make a fear version of red v blue. funny stuff.

I urge all Serious Horror or FPS fans to buy this game. Easily the best game of last year (me thinks:rolleyes: )

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Monolith are working on a 'sequel', or at least another game based in the same universe which probably won't have the FEAR name according to an interview at IGN (not really worth reading, I've already posted all the info from it).

edit: I really enjoyed FEAR, I probably won't play it again but I got enough enjoyment out of it the first time around to make it worth the purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I disagree personally, I thought F.E.A.R was an average to poor FPS, I found it boring, repetetive and contrived in the way it was trying to be a 'scary' game. I found the game dynamics (i.e. the gunplay part) fiddly and uninspired, the level design too similar and the game just disappointed me generally. I want to get rid of it badly, if anyone knows anyone who wants a copy for €12?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Laguna wrote:
    I disagree personally, I thought F.E.A.R was an average to poor FPS, I found it boring, repetetive and contrived in the way it was trying to be a 'scary' game. I found the game dynamics (i.e. the gunplay part) fiddly and uninspired, the level design too similar and the game just disappointed me generally. I want to get rid of it badly, if anyone knows anyone who wants a copy for €12?!

Heathen! :p

I liked it a lot, one of the best games of the year imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Laguna wrote:

aaaa whadda you know...sure you like Quake 4 :eek: LOL

:v:
    CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Tell me then CombatCrow, what's so great about F.E.A.R?, it was a complete chore to play, the slow motion combat was beyond a cliché and it isn't groundbreaking in the way F.E.A.R fanboys seem to think it is..

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I thoroughly enjoyed FEAR. I love the physics in use especially the Matrix style dust that clouds up away from walls which added to the combat in so far as it restricted your vision. In all though with bullet-time it was overly easy in regards to it being very easy to get a headshot with the nail gun. The story was excellent but I would not say this game was scary - atmospheric yes but the only times I jumped was when I came across the cloaked headers and the very last thing you see at the end. ;)

The first 2 levels don't do the game justice but later on it becomes very involving and very difficult to stop playing it.

My one major major gripe is that the last level stinks of release-date-rush. Completely out of line with everything up to that point.

Definately would recommend it. The best FPS since HL2. But then there hasn't been many great ones. This is perfect to last you until HL2 Episode One.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Laguna wrote:
    Tell me then CombatCrow, what's so great about F.E.A.R?, it was a complete chore to play, the slow motion combat was beyond a cliché and it isn't groundbreaking in the way F.E.A.R fanboys seem to think it is..

:eek: CombatCrow....oh you did not go there......;)

Well to be honest im gonna be a bit bias considering i worked on the game...and im dam proud of it......so granted it has little replay value ( same as HL2 imo ) and the levels get a wee bit samey. The GFX are really top notch,i would say the best to date on the pc which is never a bad thing and you have to give a lot of credit to the amazing AI and complex storyline...you cant tell me that little girl didnt make you crap your pants at times.And really the bullet time mixed with martial arts moves is what makes this game...it's definatly a step up from max payne and dare i say enter the matrix aswell :rolleyes: .I think the F.E.A.R franchise can only get better.... IMO :D

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I thought this was going to be a class game, i was disapointed. The game being a fairly recent game and the specs on the back made it look like you needed a tank of a PC (which i do have) i found the graphics and modellng to be quite poor, you could easily famish off one soldier after another hide behind a while wait a few secs and turn bullet time back on again and blast them away, i actually played the game without bullet time, making a bit more of a challenge. The weapons i felt were unoriginal and uninspiring, the only weapon i loved using were dual pistols but one aspect of the game i liked was being able to do cool slide tackles, roundhouse kicks etc. For being scary, i have to say it did give me a few scares i wont complain about that. In my honest answer F.E.A.R is one of those games that most of us shelled out a good mint for and expected a high quality game and left disapointed, F.E.A.R seems more like a game that should be bought for 24.99-29.99 range no more. But is not by all means an utterly terrible game, as many said, i can be enjoyable, just dont shell out a mint for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I can't beleive nobody noticed that this so called review was this guys first and only post.

People get payed to do this **** you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

BloodBath wrote:
    I can't beleive nobody noticed that this so called review was this guys first and only post.

People get payed to do this **** you know.
    i'm sure your quite right that its the case here, but regardless, if paid for by the publisher it was entirely stupid, no one who reads this thread is likely to buy the game , and everyone who posted here had it bought before the thread was created.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Ganjdalf

Well It was my first post As..................well i only really just joined Boards so that explains that.

As for being paid for my lil review. I WISH i was being paid for it. It would be a hell of a lot better than my current day job.

I must say also that I wrote this review at 4 in the morning after *smoking*:D all night playing F.E.A.R to death. I just finished the game and thought to myself "must tell everyone" while hunched over the keyboard trying to make the key's come into focus.As for no scares and only atmosphere I have to disagree, I personaaly think that out of the recent FPS of the last couple of years Doom3, Quake 4, HL2, F.E.A.R had the better story line, greater atmosphere and a lot more challenging.

Ok I must admit that last section was pretty damn easy but the majority of the game is quite challenging. Just don't play it on easy:p

Lack of interesting weapons:eek: I love the Particle gun and the big ass Penatrator, there is something about turning your opponents into smoking skeletons and nailing guy's limb's to the wall that makes me smile:p

I must agree the replay value aint high. and that it isnt the same experience. But can't you say that about most of the Recent FPS/Horror games?

the Resi games although games were good the latest offerings have given up story for graphics and added extras.

The end did seem rushed. Hopefully it will be justafied when the next game comes out, As for HL2 Ep1, I'm more looking forward to the next set of Unreal Games. Hopefully unreal 3 will let you run:p

Apart from COD2 this game is my current fave not forgetting the Immortal CS:S.

I thought this was going to be a class game, i was disapointed. The game being a fairly recent game and the specs on the back made it look like you needed a tank of a PC (which i do have) i found the graphics and modellng to be quite poor, .

Im just curious to see what Spec machine you have as you call it a tank. Now I do have a very nice machine:

AMD64X23800+, 2 GB DDR3200 RAM, Geforce 7800 GT, 20inch CRT, My black Kandalf case makes it more of the tank though. Heavy Case.

I had Allmost every setting up on full and F.E.A.R looks AMAZIING!!

Not to brag or nag but just curious as you say the modeling was poor on you spec.

Peace;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I thought the graphics were a bit meh but some of the effects were good. As in the actual soldiers and enemies were meh but the dust coming off the walls and the slow-mo explosions and bullet trails were excellent. Good use of volumetric lighting too. But in all very badly coded. Nothing we haven't seen before but yet you needed a SLi machine at least to turn everything on full. And after spending 2k on a machine and not being able to have it full whack - it is a little disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Laguna wrote:

If you want to get rid of it that badly I'll give you a tenner. Meet up in Dublin City Centre tomorrow night?

I thought the graphics were a bit meh but some of the effects were good. As in the actual soldiers and enemies were meh but the dust coming off the walls and the slow-mo explosions and bullet trails were excellent. Good use of volumetric lighting too. But in all very badly coded. Nothing we haven't seen before but yet you needed a SLi machine at least to turn everything on full. And after spending 2k on a machine and not being able to have it full whack - it is a little disappointing.[/QUOTe

Where did you get your machine? My machine cost my 2k and I got everything on full. The Soldiers and moddels had a nice Round pollished edge the way I had my settings.

Advertisement