Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card limits - criteria?

Options
  • 28-02-2006 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    can someone tell me which criteria the banks use when establishing credit card limits? I am wondering if its based on income, or how long you've had an account with the bank, or even your nationality?

I have the case where two friends of mine have the same bank, the same credit card type - A is Irish, makes roughly 15 k a year, but has been with the bank for 15 years or so - and has a limit of 2200. B is a non-national, clears around 30 k, has been in the country for 4 years, and a stable job - and only got 1300 - a request to "up" the limit was denied.

Any explanations for that?

I'm just curious on what grounds these decisions are made - clearly not on your ability to pay off the card, I guess...

Any info welcome! ;-)
    Cheers
    galah

Advertisement