Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Price check - repair of door damaged in a break-in

Options
  • 28-02-2006 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend's 1994 Mazda 121 (yes, the bubble car, stop sniggering) was broken into over the weekend. They prized open the drivers seat door, breaking the glass in the process. They also started to hotwire the car, having broken the steering lock and torn off the cover of the steering column. They legged it before getting anywhere with the car tho. Probly realised the car they were in :)

The door frame was bent and wouldn't close so I brought the car to a crash repair garage yesterday. He quoted me 100 euro to replace the glass, plus whatever parts and labour he'd need to repair the door.

So I rang today and he's nearly finished. It's gonna cost 350+VAT for parts and labour (6 hours).

Does this price sound about right? Seems like a lot to me, given the nature of the damage.

He wasn't able to repair/replace the cover of the steering column. Reckon it's asking for another break-in to drive around without it?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah it sounds alright, but try and get quotes from other people and check the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Yeah I rang around looking for quotes but couldn't get a firm answer from anyone, they all said I'd have to leave it in for them to look at. The work's been done now so I'll have to pay your man - just wanted to sanity check the price, cheers.

What do you think about leaving the steering column cover off? Bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

if you were to bring that car to any bigscale repair shop it would bee deemed as a write off, yes very very very BAD idea leaving the column open bring it to any mecanic and they should repair it, leaving it bare is just begging for it to be nicked again

VB

Advertisement