Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio Interfaces

Options
  • 28-02-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

Basically I want something I can plug the Guitar/Bass into and then into the PC and into Cubase. Is it a case of plugging the Guitar in directly or would I probably need to go through an amp or Pre-Amp?

I was considering getting a Firewire Interface and plugging that into my soundcard.

I like this ESI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 odinreln

i took my time in deciding on my interface. looked up a few within my price range and then when i found a list of models i then searched for reviews online. theres loads of them out there so i guess it the one that you can afford that has the best quality with it. i am currently using the presonus firebox. it has two mic/instrument pre amps. two line ins for sampler/drum machines or anything that dont need the extra gain. it has optical in/out and its also a midi interface. so if you decide to take on the electonic with guitar/bass sound youll be sorted. its connected via fire wire and if your using the large pin one (sorry cant remember what its called) it can be powered from your laptop/pc, but comes with regualr power sorce if not. i have had no trouble with this bad boy and the quality as far as im concerned it superb. it also sopports 48v phantom power for any mics that need it. you didnt mention what cubase you had so if its an old one, youd be glad to know that the firebox ships with cubase le. which will suit all your needs untill you need the upgrade which you can do online as far as i know but i havent done it yet so you'd need to investigate further.

oh and the whole box itself can be monitored independantly, no latency. it has 3 stereo pair outs if your deciding to route it to an external mixer too.

hope this helps

Odin

ps most importantly of all, its around the 300 price range. 330 i think. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

odinreln wrote:
    i took my time in deciding on my interface. looked up a few within my price range and then when i found a list of models i then searched for reviews online. theres loads of them out there so i guess it the one that you can afford that has the best quality with it. i am currently using the presonus firebox. it has two mic/instrument pre amps. two line ins for sampler/drum machines or anything that dont need the extra gain. it has optical in/out and its also a midi interface. so if you decide to take on the electonic with guitar/bass sound youll be sorted. its connected via fire wire and if your using the large pin one (sorry cant remember what its called) it can be powered from your laptop/pc, but comes with regualr power sorce if not. i have had no trouble with this bad boy and the quality as far as im concerned it superb. it also sopports 48v phantom power for any mics that need it. you didnt mention what cubase you had so if its an old one, youd be glad to know that the firebox ships with cubase le. which will suit all your needs untill you need the upgrade which you can do online as far as i know but i havent done it yet so you'd need to investigate further.

oh and the whole box itself can be monitored independantly, no latency. it has 3 stereo pair outs if your deciding to route it to an external mixer too.

hope this helps

Odin

ps most importantly of all, its around the 300 price range. 330 i think. : )

Great. Cheers for that. The ESI is ideal for me. Do you need a DI box when you're recording a guitar/Bass into the Firebox or even for any interface?

no, it acts as one. you have 2 jacks for your guitars in the front of the firebox. as they are pre-amps you can control the gain on each.

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-179421.html

click on that link if you want a look at it. 3d immaging so you can see exactly what you get. for the most part these type of budget audio-to-pc gear are all catered for the guitarist/vocalist in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

odinreln wrote:
    i am currently using the presonus firebox.

Hey, I'm thinking about getting one of those. How are you getting on with it?

its very good. im mostly using guitars, but i have recorded stright from synth and from a mixer, and the qualitly is great. no trouble to report yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement