Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do i get into radio research?

• 28-02-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

hey guys

I am an arts graduate who is interested in pursuing a career in radio, specifically in researching radio programmes.

I studied and completed a four-year Bachelor of Arts course in Humanities. The course work involved research for essays and exams.

I am keen to begin a career in radio. Therefore I would be extremely grateful if you any of you could give me advice on how get the ball rolling.
    cheers,
    fluke :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

One of the best things you could probably do is to get in contact with your local community or hospital radio station. They are always looking for volunteers and you will learn a lot about radio from watching how they operate.

Check out the BCI's website for details of what community stations are in your local area. There's a link to their website in our radio links thread which is stickied at the top of the forum page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

dont want to advertise or anythin but

www.radiowaves.fm

great site to check out for openings on their message boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

yeah I agree, there's a job spot forum on that site which is a good place to find vacancies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Crubeens

I agree that making yourself available to local stations free of charge is the best way to go. If you contact producers of talk shows and let them know you'd love to work on packages, do vox pops, and maybe even on air reports, you might be taken on. After time your CV starts to look healthy.

If a busy producer knows somebody is willing to fill ten minutes of airtime for them with quality material, they're not going to refuse. Don't just turn up and wait for them to give you something to do, go out and find stories and interesting items yourself and you'll become a valuable asset.

You will get paid after a while but be willing to work for free for as long as needs be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not trying to scaremonger, but I did a stint as a researcher for a talk show on a commercial radio station and it was not good. Got treated very badly, appallingly paid, was expected to come up with a three-hour show's worth of topics by myself five days a week, and then got **** if things didn't go to plan - which, inevitably, was often the case.
    The less experience you have, the more difficult it will be to find work with an employer that treats you well. So, as the other posters have recommended, try to find voluntary work with a community station. These are often excellent training grounds. You might not get to do what you want, but grab it with both hands anyway. For example, it could be on-air stuff they want you to do. It doesn't matter. It's all relevant. Look into doing a course - a Fas one or a PLC one, or, since you have a degree, maybe a journalism postgrad. That might not seem necessary, but you'd be surprised. Sometimes it's what you could be up against when going for interview. Once you notch up some of the above, you should be able to get a good job with a good company. I got that researcher job on the strength of community radio experience and a PLC course in media production. Admittedly that was not a good job, but I didn't have a degree at the time.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement