Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anybody help?

Options
  • 28-02-2006 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I had my son when i was 17, his dad hasn't seen him siince he was 1, he is now 9, I am with my current b/friend 6 years and we are now talking of marriage and more children.. My question is when we marry, could I change my son's surname as well? As I don't want children with different surnames.. How easy/hard is it to be done? My son's dad's name is on his birth cert, don't no if this makes a difference..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tan

As far as i know your new partner has to adopt your son, im not sure an whether you need his real dads permission, if you go to your local civic centre they can give you the advice u need, if not ring up Dolphin house, its a family court & they'l tell you how to go about it. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ashlynch

Ye, I had a feeling that would be the solution, just I know a couple that went through the adoption process, it is a very lenghty process and in the end they got refused!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

You don't have to adopt a child to change the name! All that's required is to start using the new surname and it becomes the legal name by common usage.

You can also do this by deed poll if you wish; but it's not necessary. However you might like to discuss this with your son, at age 9 he's old enough to have an opinion on the matter - is his current surname yours or your former partners?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ashlynch

It is my surname, he has already said he wants to change his name when we marry, it was him that suggested it, I wouldn't have considered it otherwise!! He says it would be silly if we didn't all have the same surname!!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

He's looking to be a part of the 'new' family in every way and other than that he's pretty relaxed and cool about the whole thing. He's just moving on with you. You will (probably) be changing your name and he wants to do the same.

I'd try to go the deed poll route as the whole adoption thing could get messy especially if hour sons father decided to put a spanner into he works.

And by the way congratulations on the upcoming nuptials.

• Advertisement
Advertisement