Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Quiet CPU Fan

Options
  • 28-02-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

My CPU fan is pretty noisey and I want a quiet CPU fan that can handle it and not make much noise when I'm recording as it can be a little annoying hearing the loud hum while I'm listening to or recording music.

I was thinking about this Zalman

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Was looking at that a while back for my dell 8400 only thing putting me off was for the dell you have to do some drilling etc. But after a little research is seems to be the best choice for low noise fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

I'd have to recommend this:

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2681.html

Also available in intel flavour. Its very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

if you really want it to be as quiet as possible go for a scythe ninja or thermalright xp120 with a quiet 120mm fan on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312473

this is what you want !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i have the zalman you were thinking of getting,
    and i'd recommend it,
    you can manually adjust the speed/noise levels
    and it keeps the cpu and all surrounding h/w cool

it can be silent or fairly noisey (by my standards) for high cpu load apps

it's a bit of bitch to install (not sure about all motherboards, but i had to take the mobo back plate off) but you'd get over that..

and also the manual cpu speed controller is gammy.. but that's only a small thing
    overall it's a very nice/powerfull cooler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

The Zalman 9500 doesnt seem very quiet, going by the reviews I've read. Sure, it's quiet, but nowhere near silent.

Scythe Ninja / Thermalright XP-120 with a Yate Loon 120mm fan. Yer only man...

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The was arctic cooling freezer 64 pro was voted THE best cooler out of around 30 in Custom PC recently.

I have one its completely silent and has really good MX1 TIM pre-applied

Its also very cheap at around 30 euro, mine was 19 euro during the OcUk sale;)

conzymaher wrote:
    The was arctic cooling freezer 64 pro was voted THE best cooler out of around 30 in Custom PC recently.

I have one its completely silent and has really good MX1 TIM pre-applied

Its also very cheap at around 30 euro, mine was 19 euro during the OcUk sale;)

It's a cooler for overclockers, not for somebody who wants a quiet pc. It's noisy. You'd need to undervolt the fan to get it quiet and from the reviews i've read its cooling performance suffers significantly with lower fan speeds. The ninja and the xp120 are quiet coolers, the freezer isn't.

What are Arctic cooling renowned for??

Quiet coolers, look at the data sheet:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=80&disc=

I have it, its silent, just like every other arctic cooling product.

And the zalmans dont cool to well at 5v

They're not reknowned for quiet coolers, they're renknowned for good coolers for people who don't mind a bit of noise.

Here are some stats from silentpcreview.com about the freezer pro. When unvervolted to almost match the quietness of the Ninja with a nexus, the cpu is a whole 10°C hotter. At full 12v speed it's far noisier than the ninja.

Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro

24dBA loadtemp:50°C

Scythe Ninja, Nexus 120

23dBA loadtemp:40°C

You can't argue with that difference. An audiophile would never stick a freezer 64 pro in his pc.

The freezer is very far from silent and far from quiet.

• Advertisement

The freezer 64 pro is silent, I have it, I specifically built my PC from quiet components and i have a NV silencer on the way for my 7800gt.

I am not lying:D and decibel is not an accurate measurement of noise, the stock amd cooler is quiet, the freezer 64 pro is silent.

The only noise it makes is moving air at the very highest setting, and i can run it at around 70% @2.8ghz

I think we have different standards for noise if you think the AMD stock cooler is quiet. At night time I can hear that POS downstairs.

Noones saying that you're lying, just that SPCR are basically the infallible gods of quiet PC hardware reviews. They have much stricter standards than most users have and they use professional grade gear and occasionaly anechoic chambers for their testing. For me at least, their word on a topic related to noise is final.

Passenger, the freezer 64 pro is silent and you will not hear it in a closed PC case, its 24 euro.

If you want to spend 65 euro on a thermalright XP-120 and a suitable fan because its a few decibles quieter, go ahead;)

Conzy, no offence, but if you can call a stock heatsink and fan quiet, you are completely unqualified to talk about quiet components. dBA not an accurate measurement of noise? w t f? <conzymaher>: Fahrenheit isn't an accurate measure of temperature. Browse silentpcreview.com articles for a while if you want to learn some actual silent computing knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

conzymaher wrote:
    the freezer 64 pro is silent and you will not hear it in a closed PC case

You might not hear it because of your ultra load NB HSF ;)

But I do agree with you. At €24 it is good value for money compared to the competition. Some people really annoyed by noise would happily spend more money to get their system a few decibels quieter though...

Decibel is a measurement of "sound preassure" two 25db noises will not sound as loud as each other depending on the tone of the noise.

Sone is an accurate measurement of noise:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/phon.html

And i know the stock HSF is far from silent, but it isnt loud either and it is 2.4sones

The freezer 64 pro is 0.8sones;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

conzymaher wrote:
    Passenger, the freezer 64 pro is silent and you will not hear it in a closed PC case, its 24 euro.

If you want to spend 65 euro on a thermalright XP-120 and a suitable fan because its a few decibles quieter, go ahead;)
    sionnach wrote:
    They're not reknowned for quiet coolers, they're renknowned for good coolers for people who don't mind a bit of noise.

Here are some stats from silentpcreview.com about the freezer pro. When unvervolted to almost match the quietness of the Ninja with a nexus, the cpu is a whole 10°C hotter. At full 12v speed it's far noisier than the ninja.

Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro

24dBA loadtemp:50°C

Scythe Ninja, Nexus 120

23dBA loadtemp:40°C

You can't argue with that difference. An audiophile would never stick a freezer 64 pro in his pc.

The freezer is very far from silent and far from quiet.

I didn't expect such a debate on CPU Cooling but cheers for the input guys. Where is the best place to check out and purchase these two CPU Fans?

Is there a major installation procedure for these two? I don'y want to be taking out the motherboard and mucking about inside the Case too much.

Cheers.

Well the freezer 64 pro is ideal, as it uses the same mounting mechanism as the stock cooler, so you wont need to take out your motherboard,

You will have to clean the old Thermal paste from the CPU with some acetone, or white spirits if you have nothing better.

The freezer 64 pro can also rotate to avoid clearence problems,

If you have an intel processer you will need to get the freezer 7 pro, which is the same a the freezer 64 pro but with Intel mounting kit.

www.overclockers.co.uk have the best price for it but you will have to pay delivery.

If you want to get the thermalright XP-120 you will have to buy a good 120mm fan that is silent, and these are expensive.

You can get the freezer 64 pro delivered for less than the price of a XP-120 and a fan;)

conzymaher wrote:
    Decibel is a measurement of "sound preassure" two 25db noises will not sound as loud as each other depending on the tone of the noise.

Sone is an accurate measurement of noise:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/phon.html

This link doesn't do anything to prove your point at all. It just says that the sone and the Decibel are two different measures of the amount of sound/noise/sound pressure.

Just because they use different scales doesn't mean that they're both not accurate.

If the decibel Adapted scale didn't take tone into account it would be a *less* accurate measure of the noise level created by a given component because human hearing hears different tones differently. It's called the *adapted* scale because it has been weighted to provide a more accurate noise measurement than if it wasn't adapted.

TBH, I think that the figures at SPCR speak for themselves. The Freezer just can't keep up with the big boys when you're talking about proper silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Get a Zalman if you never want to see your mobo again! :p

(note, I'm joking, I don't actually have or ever had a Zalman, but you have to admit, they're fecking massive)

I have an Akasa AK862, it's good, compared to the AMD stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I just bought a Zalman and yes they are ****ing huge. No idea they were that big!

TBH, I think that the figures at SPCR speak for themselves. The Freezer just can't keep up with the big boys when you're talking about proper silence.

Look at this review, the freezer 64 pro is almost identical to a Xp-120 in cooling performance and noise

http://www.systemcooling.com/arcticcooling_64pro-07.html

I think these figures speak for themselves. The Freezer CAN keep up with the big boys:D :D

The freezer also comes with probably the best TIM available, MX-1

conzymaher wrote:
    The Freezer CAN keep up with the big boys

Not quite. Don't push it mate. It's good value for money but it's not right up there at all ;)

Cooling performance is very good at standard fan voltage, but too loud. When fan is slowed to a quiet level, cooling performance is disportionately poor because fins are spaced too tightly

If you're into very quiet PCs, you should not buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've used and sell all types of coolers and if your stuck for a few bob the Arctic Cooing models represent great value for money. I have very fond memories of my Copper Silent 2L, but to be honest the Zalman coolers (I had a CNPS-7700 led I think it was), are excellent pieces of kit. I think the XP-120 with a good fan has to be the winner though. Just savage.

Ok what CPU fan should I buy. I've had a few suggestions there and a few arguments but it doesn't clarify which quiet CPU fan I should buy. And Where I should buy it.

Can somebody recommend a really quiet fan that is easy to install. It seems to be between the Arctic Cooling and the XP-120 as the Zalman didn't seem to encourage praise.

Did you ever say what processor you had ? Can't see you mentioning it anywhere.

Did you ever say what processor you had ? Can't see you mentioning it anywhere.

AMD Athlon 64

If you want Great cooling/ great price get a Freezer 64 from www.overclockers.co.uk

If you want silenter than silent:rolleyes: get a XP-120 and a silent fan from OCuk

conzymaher wrote:
    If you want silenter than silent:rolleyes:

LOL just be glad you're not a slave to all things quiet like some of us ;)

There are only two silent CPU cooling solutions for modern PCs I know of:

1. Zalman TNN range of fanless heatsink solutions
    2. Zalman Reserator

Everything else makes noise. Noise, noise, go away! :mad: :eek: *gets gun*

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote:
    If you want silenter than silent:rolleyes: get a XP-120 and a silent fan from OCuk

There's no need to be snarky and condescending because somebody has different standards than you.

It's a forum. It's for expressing opinions. Sometimes they differ. Deal with it.

Advertisement