Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Quiet CPU Fan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

The Zalmans have the reputation though. Especially when it comes to silent CPU 's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Well if you get round to it let me know how you get on as i have a dell 8400 also that runs a little loud to my ears... I read about all this "leaf blower" stuff and so i removed the heatsink while it was running for like 30-60 sec while the pc was idle doing nout and boy can the delta fan blow when it wants to up the hoover noise levels.

I'm guessing you read the thread about fitting the zalman to the 8400?

On the ThermalRight XP-120 where is the fan? And how loud, Db, is it?

What do you think of the Akasa AK-920 EVO 120

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There's no need to be snarky and condescending because somebody has different standards than you.

It's a forum. It's for expressing opinions. Sometimes they differ. Deal with it.

I was joking:D

All I am saying is the Freezer 64 pro is silent, and If some review site says the Xp-120 is technically 4db quieter, I dont think its worth the extra 40 euro:o

And @ Passenger, The XP-120 doesnt include a fan, you will have to find a silent 120mm fan to put on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

With the XP 120 you need to get your own fan. I'm running it with an undervolted vantec stealth. I did run it passively at stock speed (2.8 Northwood), but i had a 92mm papst extracting near enough it. Have to say i love it.

• Advertisement

With the XP 120 you need to get your own fan. I'm running it with an undervolted vantec stealth. I did run it passively at stock speed (2.8 Northwood), but i had a 92mm papst extracting near enough it. Have to say i love it.

Ok. Thanks for that but I'm considering the Akasa I mentioned. 120mm twin ball bearing amber fan for acoustic experience, 15 dB(A).. Can't beat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Those Akaska Amber fans are pretty damn quiet.

Dont believe manufacturers saying things like "15 dB(A)" though. They almost all lie.

Try to find info on whatever fan it is that you're considering on www.silentpcreview.com , or on their forums. Most of the manufacturers lie, some of them very blatantly.

Yup, like the Vantec "stealth", I got one and i had to undervolt it to make it bareable, and a fart would move air than an undervolted stealth:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I know vantecs aren't great, but i don't need much airflow, computer is happily ticking along at 60% speed on cpu, and 5v on all case fans. Riva tuner has it down to 36% on the video. It gets turned up when i'm playing games, for general use it is sufficent. Only reason i have the stealths is was ordering a PSU from overclockers and that's all they had at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dont believe manufacturers saying things like "15 dB(A)" though. They almost all lie.

Absolutely. 15 dB(A) is only possible when the fan is....

.... disconnected :D

• Advertisement

I know vantecs aren't great, but i don't need much airflow, computer is happily ticking along at 60% speed on cpu, and 5v on all case fans. Riva tuner has it down to 36% on the video. It gets turned up when i'm playing games, for general use it is sufficent. Only reason i have the stealths is was ordering a PSU from overclockers and that's all they had at the time.

Yeah i ordered it from OCuk aswell, it was the only quiet fan they had that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

Is rivatuner good?

The NV silencer is running at 100% 24/7 and i want to turn it down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I got the big zalman one, and it fit perfectly inside my silverstone micro atx case, big fan, but its quiet, and I even ran it for a day with the fan plugged out by accident, didn't even complain. the shuttle temps are 32 , and the cpu 33.
    Hottest thing in it is the gpu at 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok, the heated debate continues.

I need a recommendation on a fan for my CPU (AMD 64 3700+), bought a fan controller for the 4 main fans in my case (2x80mm Intake fans, 1x80mm side intake fan, 1x92mm Exhaust) there is also a 120mm fan on my enemax liberty psu but its not audible at stock voltage as my case is under my desk.

When all the fans are turned down to low voltage with the fan controller, they can't be heard, except for the CPU fan. So i'd like to get a fan that will allow me to overclock the CPU but that is also more silent than the stock AMD fan and heatsink. I hear a lot of things about the Zalmans, but are they that good at handling a lot of overclocking. I want to be able to maintain temps of 45-50'c at full load

Oh and to get in on the debate, sones should be the accurate way of measuring sound for fans, as decibels don't take into account the way the ear might hear them. 2 23db fans could have 2 very different audible levels, depending on their tone and pitch.

Freezer 64 pro gets my vote as always:D

Im at 2.95ghz and max load temps are 40 degrees........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Do you know if Peats do them? Don't really want to pay shipping for one fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Peats generally have a decent stock of Artic Cooling kit, at good enough prices too.

Your 6800ultra might come with a decent cooler, if its the reference cooler, you will need to get a NV silencer;)

Advertisement