Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apologies But I need a translation confirmed for a tattoo

Options
  • 28-02-2006 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Togh do chinniúint féin

Could someone fluent in Irish translate this into English and give me a pronouciation.

I don't want to end up with 'Man with small penis' tattooed to my inner forearm!

Thankyou

If this isn't the best forum to ask on I apologise and if you could let me know where better to post this I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I think it means, take your own advice?
    The best place to check would be the Irish language forum, I think that the spellings are incorrect, the first one definitely looks wrong.
    Also I dont think that the phrase will translate well and I think you should look for a contextual translation from a Gaelgoir and not a direct translation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hey yeah im a bit of a gaelgóir...well i went to an irish primary school. my irish isnt as good as it was but "Togh do chinniúint féin" basically means;
    make up your own mind/opinion
    The spelling isnt totally correct i think it should be "Tóg do chinniúnt féin" but i could be wrong. In my opinion there are far more nicer ways in irish to say "make up your own mind" but its up to you buddy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Wilburt wrote:
    Hey yeah im a bit of a gaelgóir...well i went to an irish primary school. my irish isnt as good as it was but "Togh do chinniúint féin" basically means;
    make up your own mind/opinion
    The spelling isnt totally correct i think it should be "Tóg do chinniúnt féin" but i could be wrong. In my opinion there are far more nicer ways in irish to say "make up your own mind" but its up to you buddy :)

Any chance you could suggest some better alternatives, surely there is something apart from that "bearlachas"??

Advertisement